: Hello Everyone, I need help with getting an engine......

John'sCaddy
09-24-11, 03:19 AM
Hello everyone, John here. I first posted this over on the Deville/FWD forum as well.

Well, here it goes, my first post and first time on site and from what I have been reading, soo much knowledge and info and fun to be had here...Just like good family & friends.

What brought me here is that I'm in desperation mode, because my 2003 Deville DTS northstar engine got a crack in the block with 151,000 miles. I love my big caddy and had it for many years and the body and underpinnings are still in great shape as I maintain it on a regular basis, andI hate to get rid of it.

And with economic times as hard as they are here today, but also needing something very dependable, as I drive alot, (taking my elderly sickly mom to doctors and hospital and such), I have decided to start on a quest looking for a very dependable low mileage 4.6 northstar 2003 DTS engine (VIN "9" 300 hp).

I don't really want any unknown history and mileage junk yard engines (not as dependable as I would like).

I thought maybe someone on here had a lead to an "known" good 2003 engine for my DTS VIN 9 300hp with lower miles. I cant afford anything new, as most my money goes to my care giving to my mom.

I appreciate any leads, and I thank you all ahead of time.

Thank you kindly,
John'sCaddy

Superjim
09-24-11, 10:52 AM
Hello everyone, John here. I first posted this over on the Deville/FWD forum as well.

Well, here it goes, my first post and first time on site and from what I have been reading, soo much knowledge and info and fun to be had here...Just like good family & friends.

What brought me here is that I'm in desperation mode, because my 2003 Deville DTS northstar engine got a crack in the block with 151,000 miles. I love my big caddy and had it for many years and the body and underpinnings are still in great shape as I maintain it on a regular basis, andI hate to get rid of it.

And with economic times as hard as they are here today, but also needing something very dependable, as I drive alot, (taking my elderly sickly mom to doctors and hospital and such), I have decided to start on a quest looking for a very dependable low mileage 4.6 northstar 2003 DTS engine (VIN "9" 300 hp).

I don't really want any unknown history and mileage junk yard engines (not as dependable as I would like).

I thought maybe someone on here had a lead to an "known" good 2003 engine for my DTS VIN 9 300hp with lower miles. I cant afford anything new, as most my money goes to my care giving to my mom.

Thank you kindly,
John'sCaddy

Sorry I can't help with a lead on a good used engine...
But if you decide to go with a totally rebuilt one...check with JASPER ENGINES.
They can also recommend a good installer in your area.

Texas Jim

RippyPartsDept
09-24-11, 12:56 PM
almost any engine you get used will be an unknown

it's a risk but you'll probably be fine... the only other thing you could do would be to rebuild the used engine
(lower block seal job + northstar performance suregrip stud kit + any other things you notice while it's torn apart)

but you're driving up the price of this repair (which you said you didn't want to do)

so maybe you could find a used engine that has a warranty
some of the salvage yards that I deal with will offer a warranty for an extra charge so if the engine fails withing 12 months then it's covered

John'sCaddy
09-24-11, 10:51 PM
Sorry I can't help with a lead on a good used engine...
But if you decide to go with a totally rebuilt one...check with JASPER ENGINES.
They can also recommend a good installer in your area.

Texas Jim

Thank you Jim.
I'm just afraid it might be out of my price range, but I will check. Thank you

J

John'sCaddy
09-24-11, 10:54 PM
almost any engine you get used will be an unknown

it's a risk but you'll probably be fine... the only other thing you could do would be to rebuild the used engine
(lower block seal job + northstar performance suregrip stud kit + any other things you notice while it's torn apart)

but you're driving up the price of this repair (which you said you didn't want to do)

so maybe you could find a used engine that has a warranty
some of the salvage yards that I deal with will offer a warranty for an extra charge so if the engine fails withing 12 months then it's covered

Thank you brother.Hopefully I am able to find something within next 2 weeks as I need my car back soon.

Not even sure who to trust in salvage yards even, cause ya just never know.Now I'm wonderin if i shouldn't check out a tranny to go with it as that as 151,000 on it as well.

Submariner409
09-25-11, 12:02 AM
Bottom line, all smoke and mirrors aside: Do a top overhaul on your existing engine using Jake's studs or Norm's Inserts. If your present engine had no oil pressure or lower end noise there's no sense going in there - do the insert and head gasket replacement and let it go at that - cheaper than either a "new" "overhauled" engine. You don't indicate where you are, and this makes a very big difference in who or where to recommend you to a mechanic. There's probably nothing wrong with your present engine save one or both failed head gaskets due to cylinder block bolt hole thread failure. Top overhaul.

00 Deville
09-25-11, 12:28 AM
Bottom line, all smoke and mirrors aside: Do a top overhaul on your existing engine using Jake's studs or Norm's Inserts.

Sub, The OP said he has a cracked block.

Submariner409
09-25-11, 12:03 PM
Ooooppppssss!!!!! Disregard "top overhaul".

Jake had a truckload of post-2000 blocks.

89falcon
09-25-11, 12:26 PM

Thank you kindly,
John'sCaddy

John,

How bad is the crack? While you're looking for an engine, consider cleaning the crack out very well.....grinding it a little, and fill it in with some JB weld or other "cold weld" product. It's worth the effort to keep an engine you'll scrap anyway on the road for a little longer.

Also, don't limit yourself to a Vin 9 motor........a Y motor will work fine, you'll just need to swap out the intake cams.