: New member here

bajabill
09-23-11, 05:44 PM
Hello, I am newly registered, but probably bounced around here a time or two in the past. I recently got rid of my 96 STS, have an 05 Escalade ESV, and just bought a 2011 STS. The STS is quite the electronic gizmo I must say, and I have been reading the owners manual as well as the nav manual alot.

Couple of quick observations/questions - what are your thoughts on the voice command feature? I find it a PITA to the point it is useless. And the nav system from a routing and POI standpoint, is leapyears behind my windshield mounted Garmin. Are there any tricks of the trade that may improve the usability of these systems?

kschwed
09-23-11, 05:50 PM
It sounds to me like you already have it all figured out. The voice command system in this car is pretty bad and the navigation system isn't a whole lot better. The difference is that you can get used to the navigation system. It is less logical than a Garmin or Tomtom, but it does work.

MacMuse
09-23-11, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard and congrats on the acquisition.

I'll agree on the nav, it's outdated in performance/capabilities at best. But I still appreciate the full integration and not having to block any more window space with a 3rd party unit. I use it, but will cross-check its suggestions with my smartphone's map software. My favorite way to use it is by going by business name - the statue of liberty icon on the screen after you press the Route hard key. Entering a street address is annoyingly cumbersome.

I'd like to think the voice recognition improved in the 5 years between our cars, but I doubt it. I only "use" ('play' might be a better word) mine to change radio stations -- RADIO, SELECT SIX SEVENTY; or RADIO, SELECT NINTEY-SEVEN POINT ONE.

Yes, I have to shout at it (hence the all caps) and speak sharply with full breaks between words. It even seems to help if you add some pitch variance as you speak. I'm not saying sing to it, but don't use a monotone voice either.

And if you haven't figured out by now - I only use it when I'm alone in the car.

EChas3
09-23-11, 07:54 PM
Welcome!

I too, like the Nav integration with the HUD & the big screen. I rarely even use the Nav turn-by-turn audio. I find the Nav easy to use but it does take some practice.

I really only use the VR for hands-free dialing and it works very well for that. After all, the name-tags are in my own voice. I find it helps to speak softer and don't stretch the words.

bajabill
09-23-11, 10:15 PM
I have been happy with the aux inputs so I can listen to pandora over my phone. I don't think this can be done with the bluetooth.

Otherwise, as far as the car is concerned, I am more thanpleased with ride quality, quiet ride, sunroof is also quiet. Seats are not as nice as the escapade though.

It is a V6 1SB option model, really did not want another V8 since I have been in the esv which is quite the thirsty beast.

Dj Brady
09-24-11, 11:46 AM
I have been happy with the aux inputs so I can listen to pandora over my phone. I don't think this can be done with the bluetooth.

I use pandora and slacker radio through my inputs and I bought a generic (Ebay) breakout cable that has a/v AND usb charging on it, but I have a 'noise' issue when I have my charger plugged in.. lots of low level static. I don't know if it's the cheap cable or if it's a crappy charging unit. It's ok with the volume up but at quiet passages, it's unacceptable. If I'm listening to classical or stand up comedy or anything else with low volume breaks, I unplug the charger..

my next acquisition is DEFINITELY going to be a lock pic.

MacMuse
09-24-11, 03:13 PM
... It's ok with the volume up but at quiet passages, it's unacceptable. If I'm listening to classical or stand up comedy or anything else with low volume breaks, I unplug the charger..

my next acquisition is DEFINITELY going to be a lock pic.

I'm a fan of the lockpic, but you might want to try this (cheap) option first.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ferrite+choke+core&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I use a Radio Shack unit on my iPhone cable and I'm very pleased with the results.

Dj Brady
09-24-11, 04:09 PM
the lockpic would allow video while the car is in motion.. it's not to eliminate noise. :)

I think the noise is induced by dirty power. I'm going to try a better cable first then a better charging unit.

MacMuse
09-24-11, 07:18 PM
The noise is from electrical interference and is perfectly normal. Take a look at every computer monitor video cable - they have a round tube a couple inches from one end. A ferrite choke to cut down interference generated by the computer. Same concept. For $6 bucks it will greatly reduce this normal interference.

chazglenn3
09-25-11, 09:43 AM
It's a good thing you didn't want another V8...the 2011 STS didn't have one as an option. The voice recognition in my car got 100 times worse after I had the system firmware updated...I can't get it to understand anything now. But the change in the screen layout was still worth it. Your 2011 won't have the screen layout issue I'm talking about...so disregard. I'm just mentioning it in relation to the voice recognition question. :D

bajabill
09-25-11, 10:32 AM
I had a couple of 8cyl options on 09s, I wasn't thinking I would get one this young but the 09 and 10s may be more scarce do to the bankruptcy and leasing program at gm. For about the same price as many inferior new cars, I will get 5 years b2b warranty. This was cheaper than the 10 SRXs were going for.

One thing I miss is the rain sensing wipers. What upgrade level is that on. But the auto high beams is an acceptable trade off. My dad told me that is not really a new concept, was out many decades ago. Crazy how some things do or don't make it into the mainstream. 15 years ago I thought every lux car would soon have the auto wippers.

EChas3
09-25-11, 06:43 PM
There is a company that offers add-on rain sensing wipers. I don't know if it would work on an STS. I think the 1SC v-6 and all the V-8's have the CE1 wipers. Both ours have them.

bajabill
09-25-11, 08:38 PM
Do they have the auto high beam lights and the rain sensing wipers

EChas3
09-25-11, 09:34 PM
TQ5 - INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL

I think it's included on the 1SG but available on 1SC & the other V-8's

skexius
09-26-11, 05:50 AM
Do they have the auto high beam lights and the rain sensing wipers

Bajabill,

RainSense Wipers were discontinued on both V6 and V8 versions of the STS for the 2010-2011 model years. 2009 was the last year that you could get RainSense on V6 1SC and all V8 versions of the STS.

Hope this answers your question.

skexius

bajabill
09-26-11, 10:00 AM
thanks all, while I have your ears, I will bend them a little more.

Where is the microphone for the voice command/bluetooth
I dont hear much out of the seat mounted speakers, actually dont know if I hear anything. Are they only active with multichannel inputs (dvd) or when using the DSP?

While I was shopping (over the past couple of years !!) I had a difficult time distinguishing between the CTS and STS on the car lots. I finally found a feature that I could focus on and tell and it seems to work regardless of model year. Curious if folk have the same trouble and how they distinguish, besides looking at the letters on the back or interior.

nathanjax
09-26-11, 10:21 AM
I dont hear much out of the seat mounted speakers, actually dont know if I hear anything.

I hear them when playing music if you lean your ear pretty close to them. They are louder if your watching a movie

Curious if folk have the same trouble and how they distinguish, besides looking at the letters on the back or interior.

Headlights are the easiest giveaway. The double projectors. Also the taillights on the CTS are at a point on the top

MacMuse
09-26-11, 12:44 PM
Where is the microphone for the voice command/bluetooth

in the rear view mirror, where it blissfully picks up more noise from the windshield than it does from the person speaking.

bajabill
09-26-11, 03:30 PM
I settled on looking at the door/window top frame.

EChas3
09-26-11, 10:23 PM
RainSense Wipers were discontinued on both V6 and V8 versions of the STS for the 2010-2011 model years. 2009 was the last year that you could get RainSense on V6 1SC and all V8 versions of the STS.

To the extent this is true, Cadillac is ignorant. I consider rainsense wipers mandatory; they are an outstanding safety/convenience feature. Why on earth would they discontinue a great option?