: Replacement 1/2 Padded Top On 77-79 Coupe De Ville

Mark 78 Coupe
09-23-11, 05:20 PM
Has anyone had this done, or done it themselves recently? My 78 Coupe needs a new top, and I was wondering what it might cost. I haven't had the nerve yet to contact a local trim shop. I think all factory tops are the same style, with the top wrapping around the chrome rear window molding. They sure look nice when they are in good shape.

lacville78
09-24-11, 12:37 AM
I called a shop about a month ago for a Sedan Deville, and was quoted 800 bucks.

77CDV
09-24-11, 01:01 AM
Depends how much of a stickler you are for originality. If you don't care what grain vinyl you get or if the color is not original, then you can probably get it done for a couple hundred bucks. The more you care about getting the right vinyl and the right color, the more the price will go up.

Reverend Hearse
09-24-11, 03:57 AM
my buddy owns a upholstery shop, cost on a 1/4 top is like 125 bucks, he does them for 350 . if you are handy with a upholstery type sewing machine you could stitch one up in just a few minutes, there's only 2 straight stitches on the top. and no they dont cover the factory chrome . the vinyl top cars got plastic rings riveted to the areas around the windows, thats what the top stretches over . on the 1/4 windows , thats where the chrome snaps onto.

cajutila
09-26-11, 11:44 AM
Kee Auto Top( http://keeautotop.com/) sells an O.E. pattern top for $150.00 plus freight. The plastic clips that hold the polished aluminum trim snap onto weld-on studs surrounding the window opening, and the top material is cut out around the studs. I'm not positive, but I believe some years do wrap the roof material over the aluminum trim. After reading the factory repair manual instructions for installation, I'm considering trying the job myself. Not sure yet.

jsherid1
09-27-11, 10:56 AM
I'm going to take a look at Kee, thanks for the tip. My top is in decent shape but I may buy the kit just to have it on hand.

outsider
09-27-11, 12:36 PM
If you do replace it yourself take lots of pics for us! I wanna see!