: I'm Losing The Computer On Sunday!

Ralph
10-27-04, 11:52 PM
My "Fiance" needs the computer back home for her reports, etc. so I'll be without! This sucks. I'm going to lose HUNDREDS of finely tuned Natasha pics and all my emails, favorites etc. :helpless: Hopefully it won't be too long before I find a good deal on a new computer, and I'm checking around. (not cheap) It's basically a headache because I'm not familiar with the new version of Photoshoppe, for example. I like the old version I have, it's so easy to operate.

How different is the new version of Photoshoppe from the old? Is it more complicated or easier?

Technically it's her computer but I put hundreds into it. Very complicated situation and I cannot survive 2 or 3 months without it LOL!

I'm definately going to get a USB port for a digital camera and then I can show you guys some updated pics, etc.

RBraczyk
10-28-04, 12:08 AM
Well i can say I'll miss you when your gone :(

daacon
10-28-04, 12:57 AM
haha Ralph curising into Saskatoon's finest Internet Cafe's for a jolt of Java and some "net" ....

Computers expensive ??? What ya looking at - Prices range from < 1k to > 5k - should be able to find something ya like :coolgleam

Ralph
10-28-04, 12:58 AM
Well i can say I'll miss you when your gone :(

Ditto kiddo. I may not be down long. I know you'll miss the avatars LOL! and it figures that I just find a new batch, adjust them, size them, etc. and I'll lose them! :rolleyes2 I'll try to run through the new pics in the next few days. :bighead:

The cheapest new computers here are $600.00. A decent printer $60, monitor $169, then 13% tax to everything and AAAARRRRRGGGGGG! :bonkers:

I'm considering a Compaq Presario bundle with:

PC, monitor, all-in-one
2.8GHZ
512MB
80 GB
burner
Windows XP
price=$1149 after rebates. Like I said, not cheap but it should run a lot faster than my wimpy 166 mhz. :rolleyes2

Ralph
10-28-04, 01:04 AM
haha Ralph curising into Saskatoon's finest Internet Cafe's for a jolt of Java and some "net" ....

Computers expensive ??? What ya looking at - Prices range from < 1k to > 5k - should be able to find something ya like :coolgleam

I'm thinking places like Futureshop, Staples or London Drugs probably have the best prices. I don't need much although I would like a USB port and an all-in-one printer would be nice, especially for the scanner. :thumbsup:

Deep Sleep
10-28-04, 01:13 AM
Ditto kiddo. I may not be down long. I know you'll miss the avatars LOL! and it figures that I just find a new batch, adjust them, size them, etc. and I'll lose them! :rolleyes2 I'll try to run through the new pics in the next few days. :bighead:

The cheapest new computers here are $600.00. A decent printer $60, monitor $169, then 13% tax to everything and AAAARRRRRGGGGGG! :bonkers:

I'm considering a Compaq Presario bundle with:

PC, monitor, all-in-one
2.8GHZ
512MB
80 GB
burner
Windows XP
price=$1149 after rebates. Like I said, not cheap but it should run a lot faster than my wimpy 166 mhz. :rolleyes2

I would shop around on the computer, I got the Compaq Presario set-up your looking at for $600 with everything you listed there except the moniter.
Note, I would not worry about loosing the Natasha pics. You could always hit Rosanne Barrs website for pics :histeric: :histeric:

daacon
10-28-04, 01:22 AM
I'm thinking places like Futureshop, Staples or London Drugs probably have the best prices. I don't need much although I would like a USB port and an all-in-one printer would be nice, especially for the scanner. :thumbsup:

You'd be hard pressed to buy any computer without a usb 2.0 port these days ... E-bay is a good choice - Future Shop web site offers refurbished ones now and again ......usually free shipping -Staples , London Drugs - check out Costco as well

Should be in premier Ralph's world - no PST here :thumbsup: (save yourself 6% take a drive to Lloydminister )

Ralph
10-28-04, 01:23 AM
I would shop around on the computer, I got the Compaq Presario set-up your looking at for $600 with everything you listed there except the moniter.

600 U.S.? Our dollar is 83 cents per U.S. dollar so it might work out the same. I was NEVER good in math and often I have to drop trow just to count up to 21. :helpless:

How do you like your Compaq? Are there any complaints because I know that they are one of themore well known brands so I hope they use good components, etc.

As for Roseanne's pics, no thanks. I like to keep a meal down after I've already eaten. :vomit:

Ralph
10-28-04, 01:32 AM
You'd be hard pressed to buy any computer without a usb 2.0 port these days ... E-bay is a good choice - Future Shop web site offers refurbished ones now and again ......usually free shipping -Staples , London Drugs - check out Costco as well

Should be in premier Ralph's world - no PST here :thumbsup: (save yourself 6% take a drive to Lloydminister )

Ya that's what the kid told me at FS when I phoned tonite. Pretty much even the cheapest computers have usb's now. The good thing about LD is that they have a "PC Protect Startup Service Plan" for $100 extra and that includes loading everything you need (Photoshoppe for free) Norton for a year, all current upgrades downloaded, etc. The only difference is that with LD it's 40 GBs less than FS's but I don't put much in the harddrive anyway like games, etc. LD wants 20 dollars more for the same monitor.

Ever since I added that Alpha Shield external firewall I've had NO spyware but the set up will be complicated when I disconnect.

No income tax either in Ralph's world, or so I've been told?

davesdeville
10-28-04, 01:51 AM
Good luck with your computer search. I'd hit up the Ebay before buying anything to see how the prices compare.

Ralph
10-28-04, 02:12 AM
Good luck with your computer search. I'd hit up the Ebay before buying anything to see how the prices compare.

Thankx! I don't think I would trust buying anything over the internet. At least if I buy locally, I would have a 1 year warrenty, and tech support, etc. Ebay is all used stuff. :suspense:

Maybe I should lose the girl and keep the computer? :sneaky:

RBraczyk
10-28-04, 06:42 AM
Not for 166mhz. Dear god thats slow.

airbalancer
10-28-04, 07:30 AM
http://www.directdial.com/dd2/index.asp (Canadian prices) is where I got my wife a laptop from
Get a laptop with a wireless network, my cost a little bit more but you will happy in the long run
I have an IBM that is 3 years old amd had a 3 year warrenty it has been in the for repair 4 times mostly because of dropping it, and plugging printers in

airbalancer
10-28-04, 07:43 AM
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs
Have you tried Dell, the son has had good luck with the dell he got 3 years ago, has done a lot of upgrades to it.

airbalancer
10-28-04, 07:59 AM
With Dell if you stick to your guns when you phone them they will throw some free be in
I guess a FS they are on commision so you can get the salesguy to drop his price a bit

daacon
10-28-04, 08:29 AM
No income tax either in Ralph's world, or so I've been told?

Uhhhhhhhh Yeah we all live in Castles and it never rains on our wedding day :D - King Ralph has done Alberta well ($50.00 USD for Oil has not hurt our economony at all - King Ralph called an election - he has done well ) and overall we are one of the least taxed provinces all you need to know is Here :

http://www.alberta-canada.com/economy/taxes.cfm

As for Dell - a little bit more money , like AirBalancer said I have had my Dell (LapTop) almost 4 years now , few upgrades , had one hard drive fail (replaced under warrently) - been rock solid - it may retire this year (it is an P850 hahaha remember Mega Hertz !!! - but it still does what I need it to do)

That is what I like about Costco - usually no hassel returns (check store policy though) - bough the Kids a Gateway there couple of years ago ....it has been pretty rock solid (mind you it has great Tech support :p )

Good luck - a computer is a home appliance these days (for me anyway)

D148L0
10-28-04, 10:31 AM
There are no valid excuses for failing to report here, mister...
You better start looking for a convenient internet cafe, university library or similar...
NOW, dammit, NOW!!!
I don't want to see another post from your sorry butt unless it is to report a succesful search for such a place!
GO, GO, GO!

T_Dogg8
10-28-04, 10:36 AM
geez. won't be the same without you ralph. i would just go to dell. that's what i did. they usually have the best bang for your buck. they're easy to upgrade and have decent tech support. or you could check globalcomputer.com

airbalancer
10-28-04, 12:28 PM
Do they have Staple where you are? They must have if there one in Cobourg.
They having a sale on Compaq and have tech support at the store give them a try

airbalancer
10-28-04, 12:33 PM
Uhhhhhhhh Yeah we all live in Castles and it never rains on our wedding day :D - King Ralph has done Alberta well ($50.00 USD for Oil has not hurt our economony at all - King Ralph called an election - he has done well ) and overall we are one of the least taxed provinces all you need to know is Here :

)

I though Ralph was talking about his country in his mind :bonkers:
I forgot about the other King Ralph next door

Ralph
10-28-04, 05:20 PM
LOL! You guys are :bonkers:

I bit the bullit and bought a new computer today!! So hopefully I won't miss all that stimulating election talk in that "other" forum. :halo: I was hoping to get another 10 years out of 166mhz but Microsoft won't be offering upgrades for Win. 98much longer. :p

My Uncle has a Dell and nothing but trouble with it. I heard they are using poor quality parts? Labtops started at too high a price and then you still have to add a printer.

I bought a new "Certified Data" S2600. It won't be ready for a day or two because they are setting it up, etc.

here is the breakdown.

Tower=$600.

17 in. monitor= $189

PC Protect and Secure package=$100

Epson multi function All-in one=$179 Scaner, fax, copy, etc.

Red LED illiminator cable (cool) for the All in one=$10

Surge bar=$13

Speakers=$30

LogiTech optical mouse=$30

Government Sales Tax(!)=$80.70
Provincial sales Tax (GST)=$80.70

Total $1,314

Damn tax in this country! :devil:

The pretty blonde computer sales person (she could have sold me a house!) told me for my needs I don't need Photoshoppe Elements, but rather Microsoft "Picture It." But even this I didn't need because the All in one machine has software built in to adjust and resize, etc. pics for avatars or whatever. The only thing different with Win XP is that for emailing you have to save the letter as an attatchment and then you can send it. It doesn't come with instructions anymore but there are tutirial discs you can buy for 30 bucks that walk you through everything. However she said there are Wizards throughout so I'll just rough it and learn as I go. It can't be too much different from Win 98. :rolleyes2 As soon as I get the computer, figure it all out, I'll get a digital camera and start showing you guys the life of Ralph. :D As well as scanning all my previous cars, etc.

Ralph
10-28-04, 05:28 PM
I should also mention it has 4 usb ports, 2.6 Ghz, 40 Gb hardrive, 256 mb, enough for me. :thumbsup:

illumina
10-28-04, 05:35 PM
ralph, you can always have a custom job done like i have. and it's not as expensive as one may think.

custom biostar w/amd 2400+ @ 2.0 gig cpu.
nvidia geforce 5200 128 mb video card.
1024 mb dual channel ddr sdram.
80 gig hard drive.
some sort of windows OS.

this all cost me $600.00 (US). now i have added 512 ram to make the 1 gig i have now, and the video card, but the base system cost me $600.00, with XP included.

i also just purchased a used pc with 30 gig hdd, 256 ram for 300 dollars. i also transferred her into a new case (60$$) also added linux to her as well.

around here, the custom made pc's with 30 gigs and 256 ram will go for around $400.00...new too...depends on the system you want. with this setup, you will have plenty of power.

also, with these systems, you don't get all of the garbage associated with a store-bought mass produced system. and you'll get your windows disk that comes with the pc, already installed of course.

also, burn your pictures onto some cd's, if that pc has that option.

illumina
10-28-04, 05:37 PM
oops!

i didn't see your new post ralph.

disregard my advice.

Ralph
10-28-04, 05:45 PM
ralph, you can always have a custom job done like i have. and it's not as expensive as one may think.

custom biostar w/amd 2400+ @ 2.0 gig cpu.
nvidia geforce 5200 128 mb video card.
1024 mb dual channel ddr sdram.
80 gig hard drive.
some sort of windows OS.

this all cost me $600.00 (US). now i have added 512 ram to make the 1 gig i have now, and the video card, but the base system cost me $600.00, with XP included.

i also just purchased a used pc with 30 gig hdd, 256 ram for 300 dollars. i also transferred her into a new case (60$$) also added linux to her as well.

around here, the custom made pc's with 30 gigs and 256 ram will go for around $400.00...new too...depends on the system you want. with this setup, you will have plenty of power.

also, with these systems, you don't get all of the garbage associated with a store-bought mass produced system. and you'll get your windows disk that comes with the pc, already installed of course.

also, burn your pictures onto some cd's, if that pc has that option.

Wow, you got the Hemi of computers there! Ya, the new one has a cd burner also but I'm not sure what I'll need it for. I sweet talked her into throwing in 10 free cd discs. ;) Basically those pics of my car you've seen are from a disc my friend burned for me, but I was NEVER able topost them from that disc. That's why I had to send them to Wes and the rest is history. I'm looking foreward to the scanner to show you guys some stuff as well as a future D. camera. :)

I could have bought that "bundle" for a little more but this way, doing it piece by piece, I was able to pick some options like a better optical mouse, the All-in-one printer, etc.

How do you like windows XP? Any tricks to it?

illumina
10-28-04, 05:55 PM
1 more post ralph and you're at 5000!

XP is -ok- for what you get. i don't feel i have complete controll over my machine with XP. also, XP is a HUGE resource hog! even with dual channel 1 gig of ram, it will still use almost half of my memory! the home edition will cost around $100.00, and you get the whole package (cd). i think XP pro adds another 100 mucho dinero. add in office xp and other software and the tab runs pretty damn high.

personally, i prefer windows 2K as far as windows goes. a.) it takes much less memory to run, b.) i like the gui better, c.) it is still supported, and should be for a while. i am also a huge fan of linux...2 of my rigs have different versions installed.

Ralph
10-28-04, 06:03 PM
1 more post ralph and you're at 5000!

XP is -ok- for what you get. i don't feel i have complete controll over my machine with XP. also, XP is a HUGE resource hog! even with dual channel 1 gig of ram, it will still use almost half of my memory! the home edition will cost around $100.00, and you get the whole package (cd). i think XP pro adds another 100 mucho dinero. add in office xp and other software and the tab runs pretty damn high.

personally, i prefer windows 2K as far as windows goes. a.) it takes much less memory to run, b.) i like the gui better, c.) it is still supported, and should be for a while. i am also a huge fan of linux...2 of my rigs have different versions installed.

There's 5000! Thanks for the info because I'm not sure what it'll be like. I should have enough memory to run other stuff at the same time, etc. I hope there aren't too many bugs or it doesn't crash. :helpless: I could have upgraded to 512 MB's for another $170.00 but I just don't think I'll need it to surf, etc.

daacon
10-28-04, 06:43 PM
I should also mention it has 4 usb ports, 2.6 Ghz, 40 Gb hardrive, 256 mb, enough for me. :thumbsup:

A man with 5000+ posts otta get one for a prize :bonkers:

I think you will find 256mb bare bones - it is fine for surfing the net and reading Email (if you you were running Linux !!!) - but remember you got Bill's XP underneath - 256 is "minimun requirements' and we know what that means ..... Memory is cheap - so try it out - can always add more later

davesdeville
10-28-04, 06:56 PM
Hey Illumina, would you say 2000 boots up faster than XP? I need the quickest boot time for my planned car-pc.

Ralph
10-28-04, 06:57 PM
A man with 5000+ posts otta get one for a prize :bonkers:

I think you will find 256mb bare bones - it is fine for surfing the net and reading Email (if you you were running Linux !!!) - but remember you got Bill's XP underneath - 256 is "minimun requirements' and we know what that means ..... Memory is cheap - so try it out - can always add more later

If it's going to slow up the computer or anything like that, TELL ME NOW! It's not too late to get more memory installed. What about burning movies? Will it have enough.

daacon
10-28-04, 07:08 PM
If it's going to slow up the computer or anything like that, TELL ME NOW! It's not too late to get more memory installed. What about burning movies? Will it have enough.

More memory is alwasy the cheapest / best bang for your buck for performance (up to a gig of ram then depends on what apps you have) - I would never never have less than 512 mb ram for any windoze product - plus you want to do some digital editing. If your speding the money now - find out how many memory slots - if only 2 then ask about a one 512 stick (so you could uprade later and still use the existing memory ) - vs another 256 mb stick (so 2 slots both taken / you want to ugrade existing memory has to be replaced)

I am saying 512 min - good luck

Ralph
10-28-04, 07:25 PM

Ralph
10-28-04, 07:31 PM
More memory is alwasy the cheapest / best bang for your buck for performance (up to a gig of ram then depends on what apps you have) - I would never never have less than 512 mb ram for any windoze product - plus you want to do some digital editing. If your speding the money now - find out how many memory slots - if only 2 then ask about a one 512 stick (so you could uprade later and still use the existing memory ) - vs another 256 mb stick (so 2 slots both taken / you want to ugrade existing memory has to be replaced)

I am saying 512 min - good luck

OK, I just phoned London Drugs and asked them and they said for what I'm doing it should be ok. He said that coming from 166 mhz (don't know the memory) it will be like night and day. He said that if I have to upgrade in the future it's no problem but you have to know what you're doing or you can short something out, etc. I'll keep you posted about performance when I install it. He also mentioned that if I was doing photo editing, etc. then there might be problems. I just found out that it has 2 slots and 1 is being used for the 256. It is $150 for a 512 stick.

Ralph
10-28-04, 07:45 PM
XP is a HUGE resource hog!

I asked about this and the computer tech said XP shouldn't use more than 128 MB's.

illumina
10-28-04, 07:59 PM
Hey Illumina, would you say 2000 boots up faster than XP? I need the quickest boot time for my planned car-pc.

what are the specs of the carputer?

it may boot a little quicker, but i would not expect a night and day difference with it.

the big thing you will notice is the memory that win2k uses. i have a dell running a dual boot linux/win2k setup. the ram is @320 mb, and win2k uses about 50 mb max! that leaves me with 270 mb to use. and that is with all of the services. when i had 512 ram in my xp machine, xp used about 200+ mb in memory. i don't dare think to try xp on anything less than 256mb...and thats pushing it IMO.

of course, there are always little tweak tools and things you can use, as well as doing these things manually to make your system run even faster. also, with win2k, you do not have the msconfig tool. if you're interested in win2k, look for a download for the tool somewhere. win98 msconfig will work on 2k.

illumina
10-28-04, 08:10 PM
I asked about this and the computer tech said XP shouldn't use more than 128 MB's.

that is because you're going with 256 mb of ram. it will use about half of that. seems like the more ram you add, the more xp takes up. now that i have a gig of ram, it uses like 350-400 mb!...xp likes to play with the most amount of memory for whatever reason.

now take my mothers compaq for instance. she has a keen 128 mb of ram running winXP. she asked me one day why her pc is so slow, so i looked at her task manager.when the task manager is viewed, xp takes about 100 mb of her ram, leaving her pc with about 20-30 mb to play with. i suggested that she let me install another 128 mb ram stick...still pending of course. BTW, she bought the thing with xp installed from wall-mart for $500.00.

that said, you're machine should do fine with xp so as long as you don't start running massive programs that take ram. if you get into that, go for more ram. also, ask your tech how much you can upgrade by.

Ralph
10-28-04, 08:16 PM
that is because you're going with 256 mb of ram. it will use about half of that. seems like the more ram you add, the more xp takes up. now that i have a gig of ram, it uses like 350-400 mb!...xp likes to play with the most amount of memory for whatever reason.

now take my mothers compaq for instance. she has a keen 128 mb of ram running winXP. she asked me one day why her pc takes so long to boot and everything, i looked at her task manager.when the task manager is viewed, xp takes about 100 mb of her ram, leaving her pc with about 20-30 mb to play with. i suggested that she let me install another 128 mb ram stick...still pending of course. BTW, she bought the thing with xp installed from wall-mart for $500.00.

that said, you're machine should do fine with xp so as long as you don't start running massive programs that take ram. if you get into that, go for more ram. also, ask your tech how much you can upgrade by.

Interesting. Sounds like XP is the equivalent of a 1970 Cadillac on fuel with a 500!

Our Walmart doesn't have computers for sale, but I wish they did.

Surely yout Mom's computer didn't come with a monitor or printer for that cheap price?! Just the tower I'm guessing!

tru504187211
10-28-04, 08:20 PM
Not for 166mhz. Dear god thats slow.

Comeon now! Just got my 180Mhz Pentium Pro up and blazing, then again, its only running NT.

illumina
10-28-04, 08:27 PM
Interesting. Sounds like XP is the equivalent of a 1970 Cadillac on fuel with a 500!

Our Walmart doesn't have computers for sale, but I wish they did.

Surely yout Mom's computer didn't come with a monitor or printer for that cheap price?! Just the tower I'm guessing!

nope. she got the monitor, kb, mouse, and all for $500.00!...not too bad considering the speed of the machine.

the thing about the store-bought massed produced machines are all of the unwanted software (various spyware, various ads that nobody needs, the presario back-up partition or whatever you call it, all that shit) that comes with the machine. reliability issues come up with them too.

if it were mine, i would have wiped the hard drive and installed a more ram-friendly OS. i also would have the extra memory installed.

davesdeville
10-29-04, 12:22 AM
what are the specs of the carputer?

It's going to be an Athlon 1.2-1.8GHz or so, 256mb ram, plenty of HD space. It's probably going to be cheaper to pick up a copy of 2000 than XP, I can't use my XP disc from my desktop on the carputer :want: . Actually I think I have a 98SE disc somewhere, if so it will be running that.

illumina
10-29-04, 12:36 AM
It's going to be an Athlon 1.2-1.8GHz or so, 256mb ram, plenty of HD space. It's probably going to be cheaper to pick up a copy of 2000 than XP, I can't use my XP disc from my desktop on the carputer :want: . Actually I think I have a 98SE disc somewhere, if so it will be running that.

though not supported anymore, 98se is a fine OS. if you cannot find your copy, see if a freind has one, or win2k.

the specs of your carputer will be plenty for either 98 or 2k and then some.

Ralph
10-29-04, 02:14 AM
This 166 is still pretty quick. The normal boot up time is around 4 minutes. No biggie, I just do something else in the mean time.

I don't even know if the new one is a celeron or pentium chip. :hmm: I hope they call tomorrow saying it's ready!

Now, if only someone would pm me where the FREE music sites are for burning CD's. :worship:

Does anyone else have an All-In-One? Especially if yours has the software to downsize and adjust pics? I might have questions about it.

Msilva954
10-29-04, 06:36 AM
emachines are actually pretty cool for people who dont really care.....400 dollars including moniter and printer.

davesdeville
10-29-04, 06:36 PM
Do Emachines still use proprietary parts that are really expensive to replace when they break?

majax
10-29-04, 07:56 PM
Don't buy and emachines, they are like disposable computers. Dells are so so my dad had two in his office that were kinda lousy. Ralph, just build your own I built my computer for about $200 1GHz, needs more ram(198mb), 40G hard drive 7200rpm. I could go around and find all the good parts for you if you want?

majax
10-29-04, 07:58 PM
Oh crap, look what hapens when one does not read the second page :bonkers:. Hope the new computer works well for you it sounds nice probably will last you forever. Nothing more fun than a new computer!

now you have to get use to XP.

Ralph
10-30-04, 12:18 AM
Everyhting is a little different with XP, especially the style of printing, etc. Lets see if my scanner works...

majax
10-30-04, 12:30 AM
:eek: what is that beutiful car!?

just watch your girl is gona want to trade computers with you.

Ralph
10-30-04, 12:41 AM
:eek: what is that beutiful car!?

just watch your girl is gona want to trade computers with you.

Ya, LOL, she likes all the features. That's my old Charger from HS, but I'm having a hard time getting the engine pic to downsize! It just won't save smaller to fit on the forums. I'm using the software from the All in one scanner but the saving at a reduced size doesn't take and I am STILL trying!...Give me a min. AARRGG, I hate learning new things sometimes!

majax
10-30-04, 01:03 AM
Thats not fair that you had a charger in High School :rolleyes2

good luck with the learnin :thumbsup:

Ralph
10-30-04, 01:07 AM
I'm obviously having a hard time with the sizing. I'll try to post a nice pic of the Olds 442 my Dad had. ;) ........

Ralph
10-30-04, 01:17 AM
:yup:

majax
10-30-04, 01:23 AM
hehe I got your beloved photoshop ;)

You're pretty wealthy arent you, hahaha.

Was that charger just a simple coupe with a huge motor, did it handle okay or anything? Braking?

I wanna see the Olds and whatever else ya had.

Ralph
10-30-04, 01:27 AM
Side shot. I hope I've got this down. Looks like I have to make adjustments, then "save as" a Jpeg, then "save."

Ralph
10-30-04, 01:35 AM
hehe I got your beloved photoshop ;)

You're pretty wealthy arent you, hahaha.

Was that charger just a simple coupe with a huge motor, did it handle okay or anything? Braking?

I wanna see the Olds and whatever else ya had.

Certainly not wealthy! My Dad bought them and I awlays got them cheaper. I wish he kept the 442! I shot those pics in 1987 and the can only had 11,000 miles on it! Notice the original Firestone Wide-O-Ovals! It recently sold to the third owner for a measily $25,000. It still has less than 20,000 miles!

The Charger was an RT with a 383. The previous owner had done some chrome work on it, stock except that. It handled like my 1991 Grand Marquis but with a little less lean. Hitting the gas made the fromt end rise pretty good. My other friend at the time had a black 1971 Charger SE with the 440. We would cruise down the main drag and scare the **** out of pedistrians when we hit the gas LOL! He could almost raise the front end right off the ground. I only had that car a few months.

Are the pics too bright? I'm not sure how to adjust my monitor?!

I'll try to blow up that Charger engine pic for ya....

majax
10-30-04, 01:42 AM
That would be sweet if got an engine pic, thanks. No, the pictures are decent brightness. What year was the Charger? Wow 1987 I wasn't born yet, nor any of our/my cars.

The front discs on the thing look huge, or that the wheel is small.

I gotta see the olds Ralph and the interiors.

Thanks

I need a scaner now.

majax
10-30-04, 01:45 AM
:eek: drooling here!

it's so perfect and big

orgasmic

Ralph
10-30-04, 01:53 AM
There's the Charger engine, now I'll do the 442 interior.....

(I'm learning)

majax
10-30-04, 01:59 AM
Not bad at all, gosh interiors have changed. Is the wood real or a plastic? Some of the old DeVilles actually had stickers for wood trim.

Ralph
10-30-04, 02:07 AM
Not bad at all, gosh interiors have changed. Is the wood real or a sticker?

No they never had real wood. The old shirt on the floor of the 442 was to dust the dash! :histeric:

The Charger was a 69 (split grille) to answer your question before. Well I suppose I figured out the scanner. I could post more pics of his minty 1979 Nova, but everybody knows what they look like. I wish I had this scanner when we were talking about Bonanza Chev trucks LOL! He's got one of those too.

Here is the 455 cu. in. engine from the 442 W30 Olds....

Ralph
10-30-04, 02:32 AM
And the best part, the 442 option sheet. Nice price, eh?

Sandy
10-30-04, 09:25 AM
Woo Hoo!! A "Matador Red" 4.4.2. with W-30 Package & the Fiberglas Dual Scoop Hood and the color keyed Rally Wheels and White Vinyl with a Rally Steering Wheel! That was NOT cheap when brand new! NICE !

bbozsik
10-30-04, 10:22 AM
Nice cars, Ralph!! Beautiful... My brother-in-law has had a a '69 (I think) Chevelle SS for the past 10 years or so. Same thing you were saying, if I layed on the gas, the entire front of the car lifted up and I was plastered into the back of my seat. He was driving with me down Post Rd (rt.1) in Orange, CT going to stop light to stop light as fast as possible, passing anyone in the way, even if that meant cutting into oncoming traffic, and getting upto about 110 mph a few times.

Let me tell you, after about 5 near-death moments facing oncoming cars, I thought my good luck had run out, and then started laughing and curled up into a ball in my seat as we kept going.

Love those old muscle cars. If you're ever in the area Ralph, give me a ring, and we'll go get the Chevelle.

DopeStar 156
10-30-04, 11:58 AM
My first car was almost an Olds 442 with a black cloth hard top and a crimson red body. It was a 60's model I believe. The car had four wheel drums and no seatbelts LOL! I can't believe I missed this thread, Ralph was always a good source of knowledge and wit. Not to mention entertainment in the avitar department. Don't stay away for too long.

majax
10-30-04, 02:52 PM
Don't worry DopeStar Ralph got a new computer he aint goin anywhere.

That price sheet just aint funny, $12 for an egine block heater, $283 for a hydramatic transmission.

DopeStar 156
10-30-04, 04:14 PM
:)

Sandy
10-30-04, 05:32 PM
Speaking of options, it's kinda funny. I know a guy who orders every car from the factory, because he can never find any car (in any color) in stock that a dealer has ordered WITH every single possible option available from the factory on one car. Even when that car would be a hi-line Caddy or Lincoln. (Oops, forgot to say > that guy is me :yup: ) In 2003, when I bought my Town Car, my dealer had in stock, on the ground 30 Town Cars. Not a freakin' one of them had EVERYTHING on it. This one had the moonroof but no CD changer. That one had the CD & the moonroof, but no heated seats. Over there was one with heated seats, & CD but no moonroof, and then there was one with CD, Moonroof, Heated seats but no reverse warning system, and then one with the reverese warning system only. and so on and so forth. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING? Not 1 out of the 30 T.C.s had everything. So.....I waited. Since the Lincoln had a total of 6 options, and deVille had 11 options, I figured I had zero chance with a deVille. :bonkers:

majax
10-30-04, 06:30 PM
Choices Choices

guys, go to the Site/Feedback forum there is a charity thing there that we all should look into. We have by sunday to get the form filled out or something.

Ralph
10-30-04, 10:18 PM
My first car was almost an Olds 442 with a black cloth hard top and a crimson red body. It was a 60's model I believe. The car had four wheel drums and no seatbelts LOL! I can't believe I missed this thread, Ralph was always a good source of knowledge and wit. Not to mention entertainment in the avitar department. Don't stay away for too long.

Thanks guys. I bought this computer ahead of schedule because the sale ended today! I have 0 Natty avatars now and have to start from scratch. The only problem seems to be that I'm downsizing some new ones, but they just don't go in as avatars on the forum? I'm downsizing, saving, and got the right size under 100 by 100 pixels, etc. It's a work in progress, but fun and challenging learning all about a new computer.

I used to use photoshoppe 6.0 (?) for the avatars but now I have to get used to the pic software in the all in one machine for them.

Sandy: That 442 was so beautiful and I got sick everytime I saw the second owner driving it.

Sandy
10-31-04, 01:12 AM
Not to rub it in, but I sure as heck do not blame you! I'd be sick selling it, but we ALL do that! I had some beauuuuties that I let go of. My favorite was my 1975 Imperial LeBaron Coupe with the Crown St. Regis Roof Package and every option on the option list, black over black with Dark Red interior. I dumped it 'cause I wanted the "new 1982" bustle back Imperial Coupe, which, like all 12,385 of them was a lemon from day one. It would not start up ON the delivery truck when the delivery truck arrived AT my dealer! Things pretty much went down from there....But, my black '76 was gone...what could I do.....

Ralph
10-31-04, 01:27 AM
Not to rub it in, but I sure as heck do not blame you! I'd be sick selling it, but we ALL do that! I had some beauuuuties that I let go of. My favorite was my 1975 Imperial LeBaron Coupe with the Crown St. Regis Roof Package and every option on the option list, black over black with Dark Red interior. I dumped it 'cause I wanted the "new 1982" bustle back Imperial Coupe, which, like all 12,385 of them was a lemon from day one. It would not start up ON the delivery truck when the delivery truck arrived AT my dealer! Things pretty much went down from there....But, my black '76 was gone...what could I do.....

Ya but were you LITERALLY SICK to your stomach? I was! :yup: I'll probably never live that car down as long as I live. My stepdad ordered it new in June of 1971, and there were supposedly 920 W30's made that year. However, there should have been white stripes on the hood scoops to match the side white stripes, but Dad special ordered black on the hood to cut down on sun glare. I still have the factory order form that the autoworkers checked off to specify that the purchaser wanted black hood stripes. I should have asked you Sandy if you noticed anything strange about the color scheme. :D So it's probably a one-of much like your 60 Special! Whoever got it last year for $25,000 CDN STOLE IT because it is all original still including the Wide Ovals!!!

BBozik: If I'm ever in Maine, it's a deal! :thumbsup:

Damn, I can't figure out this Epson software for the avatars! It just won't downsize and save.

Playdrv4me
10-31-04, 02:05 AM
Ill miss ya buddy... Come back soon!!

Im pretty good at tracking stuff like computers, TVs and cars down cheep. Send me a private message, theres a place round here that I get my electronics from and they sometimes have computers for between 99-299.00, and monitors for like 35 bucks. Today I was there they had a Compaq Presario laptop with an AMD XP2800 Athlon processor, 15 inch screen, 512MB of RAM, a 40gb hard drive and CDRW/DVD for 599. The thing was practically brand new.

Ralph
10-31-04, 02:23 AM
Better angle of the black hood.

majax
10-31-04, 02:28 AM
Is that you next to the car, lol. What does your dad do for a living to get these cars?

Ralph
10-31-04, 02:37 AM
Ill miss ya buddy... Come back soon!!

Im pretty good at tracking stuff like computers, TVs and cars down cheep. Send me a private message, theres a place round here that I get my electronics from and they sometimes have computers for between 99-299.00, and monitors for like 35 bucks. Today I was there they had a Compaq Presario laptop with an AMD XP2800 Athlon processor, 15 inch screen, 512MB of RAM, a 40gb hard drive and CDRW/DVD for 599. The thing was practically brand new.
That sounds like a good place! I'm actually on the new computer now and it's ok but tricky software for the scanner, etc.

Here are the specs on the new computer but what I don't understand is that it is supposed to be 2.6 ghz, but this says 1.8!

Ralph
10-31-04, 02:42 AM
Is that you next to the car, lol. What does your dad do for a living to get these cars?

Not me by the car, but my friend Terry. (same buddy in my pic from the "post your pic here" thread. (only 16 years earlier)

Stepdad retired now but he worked as a power company lineman replacing transformers, etc.

This thread has been great for my scanner learning experience and I think I realize what I've done wrong sometimes. After sizing the pics, I forgot to click "apply now" therefore half the time I couldn't get them small enough to post LOL!

Now to test the avatar.....

majax
10-31-04, 03:50 AM
What other cars did you have, I want more pics ;) :thumbsup:.

Ralph
10-31-04, 06:25 PM
What other cars did you have, I want more pics ;) :thumbsup:.

Maybe tonite I'll scan a pic of Dad's minty Nova and Bonanza truck. Next time I go back home I'll bring some good pics to scan like my other cars. You won't believe my 1970 Plymouth after being sideswiped, LOL, I'll get your feedback on our homemade autobody repair. :shhh:

Hey, why did my new computer just go "bing bong?" I didn't receive an email today????

majax
10-31-04, 07:04 PM
Well if its like our cars it goes bing bong (chime) when it's over heating.

you probably just hit a key while not having a selected window or somthing.

the error ding thingy. I set it off now and then.

did you get all your old files transfered to the new computer?

Ralph
10-31-04, 07:18 PM
Well if its like our cars it goes bing bong (chime) when it's over heating.

you probably just hit a key while not having a selected window or somthing.

the error ding thingy. I set it off now and then.

did you get all your old files transfered to the new computer?

It shouldn't be overheating!? It's not a model T Ford! :p

No, I didn't transfer any files, I'm starting fresh. The old computer had a lot of sluggish problems, etc. and I wouldn't want to download some spyware into the new one or ? There wasn't much to transfer anyway, just "favorites" and Nat pics. :crying2: Gone forever!

OK, here comes my old Phoenix coupe, and not a spot of rust.....be patient.....

Ralph
10-31-04, 07:24 PM
Collage of the engine too LOL!

Ralph
10-31-04, 07:31 PM
Fun little rice killer (back then!!)

Phoenix interior...

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 08:50 PM
Ralph...

you have an AMD 2600+

it's real speed is lower... 2.0ghz I believe, but do to the design of the processor, it is actually faster then a 2.6ghz Pentium 4... that is why AMD did that, their processors of same speed are much faster, so to keep it simple for people to understand, they just went to the xxxx+ route...

Here is something I often wonder....

you always hear about people and their high school cars... which were popular muscle cars... Ralphs Charger, my fathers GTO, my mothers bf's Camaro (which they both still have) and others etc...

...Here I am... my high school car is a 1993 Cadillac Coupe DeVille... in 30 years from now... when I say, yeah, my HS car was such and such... will it be as well known? I always think about things like this... a DeVille is not really a car to be remembered by the majority of people... although it is the last year of the 2 door DeVille...

Night Wolf
10-31-04, 08:55 PM
Ralph... you only have 256mb of RAM too? I would get atleast 512mb... don't listen to anyone that syas ou don't need it... with the faster processor, you'll be bottlenecking it alot... I had 256 when I first built my computer (2400+) and it was OK at best... now I have 768mb, and it is alot better....

I just looked, my 2400+ is 2.0ghz... your 2600+ (which has a Barton core IIRC, my 2400+ has the Throughbread core... Barton is a little better) should be operating around 2.1ghz...

majax
10-31-04, 09:56 PM
yeah 512mb would be best but if you dont have the money right now 256mb is sure decent enough to keep you alive. You paid a resonable price for the computer. I have never heard of a London Drug. I didn't know it had a AMD, I am a pentium person :p they are both good.

Night Wolf- I think people will know what it was. You also have to realize there were not to many super popular cars in the '90s like the Charger or something. Unless you had like a Vette. I think eventually we will hear people talking about how they had some crudy old accord or civic that smelled like puke/booze/fast food. Everyone is gona think we were rich when we say we had DeVilles.

Ralph, love the circular vents on that car!

brougham
11-01-04, 12:04 AM
Collage of the engine too LOL!

Hey Ralph!! Howcome your car has running boards? :eek:

DopeStar 156
11-01-04, 01:17 AM
LOL! Those are hot!

Ralph
11-01-04, 02:54 AM
Ralph...

you have an AMD 2600+

it's real speed is lower... 2.0ghz I believe, but do to the design of the processor, it is actually faster then a 2.6ghz Pentium 4... that is why AMD did that, their processors of same speed are much faster, so to keep it simple for people to understand, they just went to the xxxx+ route...

Here is something I often wonder....

you always hear about people and their high school cars... which were popular muscle cars... Ralphs Charger, my fathers GTO, my mothers bf's Camaro (which they both still have) and others etc...

...Here I am... my high school car is a 1993 Cadillac Coupe DeVille... in 30 years from now... when I say, yeah, my HS car was such and such... will it be as well known? I always think about things like this... a DeVille is not really a car to be remembered by the majority of people... although it is the last year of the 2 door DeVille...

Thanks for the interesting pc info. I suppose in the future I will upgrade it to at least 512 after what I've learned on this thread. Maybe I'll wait until the warrenty ends in a year or so. The book says it is expandable to 2 GB. I'm not going to be doing too much with the computer so as long as I can run a few programs at a time I'm happy. One thing I'm amazed with is the speed I can run a spyware scan. Spybot Search and Destroy used to take 30 minutes min, now, less than 2 minutes! Ad-Aware scans take less than 3 minutes, but before they took 60-90 minutes! Norton 2005 scans are just a little slower than this around 4 minutes. I'm loving the optical mouse. No more wheels to clean.. :woohoo:

Musclecars and Cadillacs are immortal. 20 years down the road I would be proud to say I had a Cadillac anything in HS. It just proves you had more class than anybody else. :thumbsup:

Ralph
11-01-04, 02:59 AM
Hey Ralph!! Howcome your car has running boards? :eek:

Back in 1990 I had the local Chevy dealership install the boards (style back then) for $200. They have been great for keeping salt and stone chips off the entire length of the doors on both sides. I've ripped off a bolt or two on curbs, and bent the end, but a hammer and new bolt took care of that. This pic was taken about 5 years ago and the paint isn't quite as shiny now but still no rust. A little care goes a long way. Still original exhaust except muffler, but the pipes are getting really thin! Nice rumble with a thrush turbo on the 2.8 V6. :yup:

I've seen a lot of 4 door cars with boards, but I don't think they look as good as a 2 door with them.

Here is a pic of it dated 1989 w/o boards.

Ralph
11-01-04, 03:03 AM
I have never heard of a London Drug.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/default.htm

I'll try to post some more of our car pics tomorrow. :thumbsup:

airbalancer
11-01-04, 06:39 AM
No London Drugs here, in Ontario.Is it like Zellers?

daacon
11-01-04, 11:45 AM
Nope it a Western Canada thing

Doooooooooooooh didn't see Ralph's post of the same .......must be the sugar rush from last night

onbagz2002
11-01-04, 04:52 PM
:Offtopic:

Ralph
11-01-04, 05:49 PM
:Offtopic:

Not if there is a link to my new computer it isn't. Every thread goes a bit off, however, it is better than wasting bandwidth on a whole new thread, which I could have easily done.

I am also running tests of my computer on this thread to see if I have mastered the features, scanner, as well as ask questions, learn, etc. Remember this is the Lounge, nothing is set truly in stone. As long as no one is flaming, and are getting along, etc. Nuff said.

Ralph
11-01-04, 05:53 PM
Nope it a Western Canada thing

Doooooooooooooh didn't see Ralph's post of the same .......must be the sugar rush from last night

It looks like for 900 dollars I could have got the Certified Data with 512 MB, yet to buy a stick of memory is waaaay cheaper than the extra 300 dollars I would have spent on the more powerful pc!

D148L0
11-01-04, 06:13 PM
Better angle of the black hood.
Now this, my friend, is a sweeeeeeet ride. Would extend the comment, but I'm drooling all over the keyboard...

Ralph
11-01-04, 06:40 PM
Now this, my friend, is a sweeeeeeet ride. Would extend the comment, but I'm drooling all over the keyboard...

My keyboard is a little wet too! :p

Now I'm going to try to scan 2 pics of my Dad's new DTS......

Ralph
11-01-04, 06:46 PM
Well that's STUPID! I had both pics facing the SAME way but the scanner must arrange them so they fit?

Here is his Nova still with original paint, etc......

Ralph
11-01-04, 07:29 PM
And Dad's 1978 Chev Bonanza truck. Yes, it also has the original paint, etc. :bighead:

Disregard my extra pants on the chair LOL! I was doing some yard work and had to change. :eek:

Ralph
11-01-04, 07:35 PM
My 1991 Grand Marquis I traded to my Dad towards the '91 Fleetwood...

That covers the cars we have! :bonkers:

Night Wolf
11-01-04, 09:10 PM
yeah, it seemed like in the 70's the cars to have were GTO/Fire Bird/Camero/Charger/Chevelle etc... in the 80's I dunno... and today... there really isn't a certain "type" it'll be interested to see what there will be....

... but I'll be remembered as having a '93 Coupe DeVille.... and the '79 Sedan DeVille.... and the Olds.... for any of my class reunions I go to in the future, I will be driving the '93 DeVille... no matter where it is :)

Ralph
11-01-04, 09:25 PM
yeah, it seemed like in the 70's the cars to have were GTO/Fire Bird/Camero/Charger/Chevelle etc... in the 80's I dunno...

As someone who cruised alot in the mid-late 1980's I can tell you that the cars to have were GM F bodies, 5.0 Mustang LX's (lighter than GT) Grand Nationals, Shelby Chargers with the 2.2 turbo (my friend had a nice blue and silver one) Iroc Daytonas, etc. I'm sure I missed some. Every Saturday I would get into a little grudge match with this guy I hated who had a new 1990 240 Nissan. I could run with him up to around 60 kms then he would pull ahead. :banghead: (Phoenix) There were still a LOT of musclecars cruising in the 1980's. There was a guy with a beautiful light blue 1969 GTO and I think it was a RA 3, 4 speed, white interior. That thing MOVED!

It was mostly a Mopar town, and my other friend Ray had a 1970 TA Challenger with the 340 six pack. Nice except the dog dish hubs, LOL!

I had a chance to by a 1970 blue Charger 500 with a cammed up 383, Crager SS's, for $4500! You can't find a deal like that now on a wrecked one!

Ralph
11-02-04, 02:04 PM
OK, here is a computer related problem. I was running a cd playing music, as well as the photo software in the scanner, plus on the Forum. What happened was the music started jamming up and eventually stopped! Is this because running 3 things at once is the limit for my 256 mb's or because the cd drive got so hot it shut down??!! Or is the cd player NFG.

evilrussian
11-02-04, 02:51 PM
It was mostly a Mopar town, and my other friend Ray had a 1970 TA Challenger with the 340 six pack. Nice except the dog dish hubs, LOL!

I kinda like dog dish hubcaps. Gives that certain "sleeper" look. '90 Crown Vic police interceptor is one of my favorites with them on.

davesdeville
11-02-04, 04:21 PM
OK, here is a computer related problem. I was running a cd playing music, as well as the photo software in the scanner, plus on the Forum. What happened was the music started jamming up and eventually stopped! Is this because running 3 things at once is the limit for my 256 mb's or because the cd drive got so hot it shut down??!! Or is the cd player NFG.

Throw some more ram at it.

Ralph
11-02-04, 05:27 PM
Throw some more ram at it.

I think you're correct. I talked to the guy at London Drugs and he said it's ram. He would charge me 90 bucks for a 256 stick, it wouldn't take him long to install it, and he wouldn't charge me labour. I'll probably take it in this week.

I don't need to run all three things at once, but it's just nice to be able to I suppose.

Ralph
11-02-04, 06:42 PM
OK, I'm already back from getting the 256 added. I don't waste time doing things LOL! I hope "Transcend" make good chips and it seems to work fine. I'll load test it after the election tonite. I couldn't believe how easy it was to add the stick.

Anyway, now my computer says it has 480 mb now, so I hope that's normal? Close enough to 512 I guess.

Forgot about my old 1978 Dodge Monaco I had in 1986.

majax
11-02-04, 07:03 PM
That is an odd number but it is good :thumbsup:

Ralph
11-02-04, 07:44 PM
I kinda like dog dish hubcaps. Gives that certain "sleeper" look. '90 Crown Vic police interceptor is one of my favorites with them on.

No way Dude! Give me Rallyees anyday! Options are nice. :yup:

Thanks Dave/Majax, I load tested it while running about 4 things at once and it didn't stumble once. Memory was obviously the problem. Most people would probably just close a couple of windows to perform a task, but that SUCKS! Me happy now. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
11-02-04, 09:55 PM
That is an odd number but it is good :thumbsup:

do to formatting and windows usage.. the real amount will never show up... I have a 100gb HDD, but only 93gb or so are useable...

512 is OK... more is always better, but it should be good for now.... $90 seems kinda high for a 256 stick... you oculd have got a stick of 512 for that price.. installing memory takes less time then it does to pull your wallet out and give the clerk the money....

www.tigerdirect.com

good prices on computer gear...

Night Wolf
11-02-04, 10:01 PM
memory plays a very big role in everything... you can make a system.... no mater what the processor speed, much faster by using more memory...

... think of the processor as the amount of work you have.... the faster the CPU, the more the work...

.. now think of the the RAM as the amount of desk space you have... if you have a fast CPU and a small amount of RAM... that is like having a lot of work to do on a very small desk.... things will get cluttered, start falling off etc... that is what happens with the RAM... the computer simply runs out of room, and it must use vitual memory (very slow) or start overloading the processor....

if it funny when you buy a computer from a company.... they always skimp on the RAM... yet it is so cheap to add.... whenever I build a cimputer, I always go for maxium amount that is practical at the time.... when I first built my current computer, I had 256, I have 3 banks, I wanted a stock of 512 (then later get another 512) but I accidently bought 2 x 256 (400mhz bus though) so all my banks are full.... 768mb of PC 3200 DDR is fine though... maybe in the future if I get an AMD 3000+ I may replae the 256 with a 512 or something...

Ralph
11-02-04, 10:06 PM
do to formatting and windows usage.. the real amount will never show up... I have a 100gb HDD, but only 93gb or so are useable...

512 is OK... more is always better, but it should be good for now.... $90 seems kinda high for a 256 stick... you oculd have got a stick of 512 for that price.. installing memory takes less time then it does to pull your wallet out and give the clerk the money....

www.tigerdirect.com

good prices on computer gear...

That's a good site, but click on the bottom for "Canadian prices" and see how much higher they are, especially for computers!! That Emachines isn't a bad deal I suppose. At least my new memory stick is an American company, everything else is China!

I was looking at the 512 stick but it was $150.00! As long as with 480 mb to much isn't being wasted, but better than what it came with.

majax
11-02-04, 10:49 PM
A lot of computer manufacturing and engineering is in the United States.

Micron
Intel
Dell/Gateway
Microsoft
HP/Compaq
Kingston
Delphi

..those are theo nes I know and there is more.

hey Ralph is the US election a big thing there in Canada? I take it you have the same TV stations NBC ABC CBS

Ralph
11-02-04, 11:11 PM
hey Ralph is the US election a big thing there in Canada? I take it you have the same TV stations NBC ABC CBS

Yup, I get all those channels. It's a big thing here allright. Here are some of the reasons....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/uselection2004/cdnissues.html

I haven't turned the tv on in an hour or so because I had a printer crisis! It wouldn't stop printing the same thing over and over so I tried to clear the buffer by unplugging it several times! FINALLY it quit! Control/alt/delete wouldn't stop it either. AAARRRGGG! Who is winning the election now?

majax
11-03-04, 02:10 AM
Bush and many say he has Ohio, if its a tie the house of reps gets the decision. The house of reps is rulled bye the Republicans.

I can't stand it when printers do that or they start printing wingdings :rolleyes2.

:yawn: I got work/school tommarow good night.

Ralph
11-03-04, 03:19 AM
Do me a favour and see if you can print anything (even one line) from this site:

gmcanada.com

When I try to print I get an error read and asks if I want to send a report to Microsoft!?

Another gripe, I'm supposed to be able to play DVD movies, and I downloaded the program "Interactual Player" (came up automatically when I put a disc in) but the sound and image are all messed up. :helpless:

Ralph
11-03-04, 12:43 PM
I'm taking this thing in today. DVD's won't play

I can't burn music on a free site that I know about. (yes it has a burner)

and sometimes when I print it says "active X error" and offers some sort of installation-then sends an error report (you have to click it to leave!) then blanks out and goes to desktop.

Life is hard, play hard. :cookoo:

airbalancer
11-03-04, 01:31 PM
I think we should start a new section call Helping Ralph with is new computer! :histeric:

Ralph
11-03-04, 01:36 PM
I think we should start a new section call Helping Ralph with is new computer! :histeric:

Ya know, I was thinking about starting a thread called something like "Computer tech, help, advice, suggestions thread, etc" But why waste space?

The problem is that the more I want to do with it, the more it says "errors" "not compatible", etc. I'm going at 2 pm and dumping it on their desk because I paid extra for it to be "Ready To Go"

Ralph is NOT happy today.

If anyone watches DVD movies I want to know if "Interactual Player" is still valid? Because when you pop in a DVD it pops up waiting to be downloaded, problem is it is an older program for Win 98??!! :banghead:

majax
11-03-04, 06:51 PM
Ralph,

I was able to easily print a page of GMCanada.com.

to watch DVD just download real player off the internet thats what I did, it's free.

If you have a 98 program it may not run on XP. Or, maybe it is the other war around.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-03-04, 11:21 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4749&stc=1

:bling: :histeric:

airbalancer
11-04-04, 07:37 AM
Ya know, I was thinking about starting a thread called something like "Computer tech, help, advice, suggestions thread, etc" But why waste space?

The problem is that the more I want to do with it, the more it says "errors" "not compatible", etc. I'm going at 2 pm and dumping it on their desk because I paid extra for it to be "Ready To Go"

Ralph is NOT happy today.

If anyone watches DVD movies I want to know if "Interactual Player" is still valid? Because when you pop in a DVD it pops up waiting to be downloaded, problem is it is an older program for Win 98??!! :banghead:

Maybe the computor techs at London Drugs are popping some of the stock when they work on Ralph machine:histeric:

majax
11-04-04, 08:07 PM
hahahahahahahahaha :histeric:

daacon
11-05-04, 04:58 PM
as 'comic guy' might say ..."Longest Thread ever over a loss of a computer "

Give 'em hell Ralph !!!! Get 'em to the point when they see ya comming they scurry to the corners and the start offering you stuff :D

With a new purchase ....make sure it all works and works well . I hate it when a new purchase does not work as advertised - we've all experienced it

Vesicant
11-05-04, 05:55 PM
Ralph, your memory - the reason its registering 480 is because your computers' video shares memory with your computer. Dont worry, its fine- you just have 480 to play around with and thats certainly good for XP.

(trys to turn this back into a computer thread :p )

but wait... since when did Gm make a turbocharged 2.8?

Stoneage_Caddy
11-05-04, 08:20 PM
i dont think they sold a turbo 2.8 but GM performace did make a handful of citation x11s with turbo 2.8 power for testing purposes

they finnaly did it somewhere between 89-92 with the grand prix mclaren turbo which the 3.1 with a turbo on it (realative of the 2.8)

A real odd duck was the sunbird turbo the similar age , the turbo was on a 2.0 or the daewoo built 1.8 ohc engine

Ralph
11-05-04, 09:31 PM
Nope, no turbo but it has 150 lb. ft. of torque. (bling bling for 1990 maybe :rolleyes2 )

OK, I took the new computer in on Tuesday. They tested it properly and it was full of software bugs. That's why the DVD wouldn't play, printer had problems, etc. They started to de-install everything and reinstall but it was taking too long so I insisted they just give me another NEW computer and install. That's what they did, and we tested everything ther4e at London Drugs. My hats off to them for being comcerned about my constant driving there back and forth, etc. Very annoying but seems ok now. They used a lot of ink testing everything!

I immediately downloaded Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy but with my Alpha Shield external firewall they said I wouldn't need it. The only thing left that I want to test right now is the scanner, so I'll post a pic of my Caddy parked at the parents garage:

Thanks for all the much needed and appreciated advice on this thread!!!!! :thumbsup: and letting me test, hope you all enjoyed the pics.

Ralph
11-05-04, 09:35 PM
Ralph, your memory - the reason its registering 480 is because your computers' video shares memory with your computer. Dont worry, its fine- you just have 480 to play around with and thats certainly good for XP.

(trys to turn this back into a computer thread :p )

but wait... since when did Gm make a turbocharged 2.8?

Ya, that's what the tech guy told me too. He said something about a video card.

Night Wolf
11-05-04, 10:41 PM
ehhh... it has an on-board graphics card that uses the systems memory...

hoenstly, if I were you, I would buy a real AGP graphics card... it'll really speed the ssytem up.. by sharing memory, that uses alot of resources and is less memory to have for other things...

... get a cheap, but good card... I have a nVidia GeForce FX5200... 256mb DDR memory... I like it alot for the price... nice step up from my old GeForce 2 MX400, 64mb SD RAM.... which wa a n upgrade from the Number Nine 8mb card that came with my old computer... the MX400 was a great card in it's day... and even today on an older machine... just not up to the task of newer programs and machines...

Ralph
11-05-04, 10:54 PM
hoenstly, if I were you, I would buy a real AGP graphics card... it'll really speed the ssytem up.. by sharing memory, that uses alot of resources and is less memory to have for other things...

But, that's why you recommended "upping" the RAM, so I added another 256 MB. It seems ok now, and I can run 4 or 5 different windows/programs w/o jamming or trouble. I couldn't with the original 256 total. It is faster than what I had.

Ralph
11-05-04, 10:58 PM
BTW, why the heck did you guys come to the conclusion I had a turbo? The only thing turbo that I know of in 1980/81 was the Mustang turbo? (2.3?) and the '80/'81 turbo Trans Am.

majax
11-05-04, 11:09 PM
Yeah Ralph get a new graphics card! ;)

I love your Fleetwood!! If you ever want to sell to me.

Ralph
11-05-04, 11:31 PM
Yeah Ralph get a new graphics card! ;)

I love your Fleetwood!! If you ever want to sell to me.

Na, it's good enough I figure. I spent a total of $1,405! What other use does a graphics card have?

You can buy it but it won't be cheap. :D I could never replace it. What's wrong with yours? :confused:

Vesicant
11-05-04, 11:55 PM
BTW, why the heck did you guys come to the conclusion I had a turbo? The only thing turbo that I know of in 1980/81 was the Mustang turbo? (2.3?) and the '80/'81 turbo Trans Am.

After going back and reading it, i realize i mis-read that part (the details of your phoenix)... forgot that that was actually a muffler, and not a turbo. It brings up the stupid names some companys give their products.

Ralph
11-06-04, 12:02 AM
After going back and reading it, i realize i mis-read that part (the details of your phoenix)... forgot that that was actually a muffler, and not a turbo. It brings up the stupid names some companys give their products.

:Offtopic: :D

It's kinda stupid how "turbo" means "low restriction" but it's very misleading. For people that don't know any better, they might think there is a turbo-charger in the muffler, LOL! I had a friend with a 1980 Trans Am and he was not known for being automotively knowledgable, and he thought that because water came out of his tail pipe in the morning, that it must have rained the night before so it got into his shaker hood and had to come out somewhere! :histeric:

Ralph
11-06-04, 12:14 AM
Here is a computer question, I read on the internet that your printer ink will dry up faster if you leave the printer/scanner on for hours and not use it. I do this now, but if true, I'm assuming it is from the extra heat generated by keeping it on and idle.

Also, the ink dried up on the other computers printer. Can it be heated or something to get it running again?! It's a shame because it is 2/3rds full still!

Night Wolf
11-06-04, 12:26 AM
a dedicated graphics card will help you ALOT... those built in cards are... hoenstly... crap.. no matter what they try to convince you with.... they are good for a library computer to be cheap, and only display a word processor...

... honestly... there are many $100 cards... hell, even a mid-level card from last year used that you could get for $50... that would greatly help you out...

you got more RAM becuae 256 wasn't enough... the RAM helps the processor do it's job better.. the graphics card does any visual work, adn it has it's own memory to store information in.. instead of making the processor do the work, and then sharing (which is very slow) memory with the system memory...

not that you have to get it now.. but that woudl defintily be my next upgrade on the system...

Ralph
11-06-04, 12:31 AM
a dedicated graphics card will help you ALOT... those built in cards are... hoenstly... crap.. no matter what they try to convince you with.... they are good for a library computer to be cheap, and only display a word processor...

... honestly... there are many $100 cards... hell, even a mid-level card from last year used that you could get for $50... that would greatly help you out...

you got more RAM becuae 256 wasn't enough... the RAM helps the processor do it's job better.. the graphics card does any visual work, adn it has it's own memory to store information in.. instead of making the processor do the work, and then sharing (which is very slow) memory with the system memory...

not that you have to get it now.. but that woudl defintily be my next upgrade on the system...

Thanks. I'll think about it! Man, you know your stuff, and you explain it well like your desk and storage example before. :)

majax
11-06-04, 12:54 AM
Na, it's good enough I figure. I spent a total of $1,405! What other use does a graphics card have?

You can buy it but it won't be cheap. :D I could never replace it. What's wrong with yours? :confused:

Nothing is wrong with my '93 your Fleetwood is just so nice.

If you play games on your computer then down the road get a new card but you know what since you have spent so much dont worry about if for now. If you do NightWolf will think of something else you will need haha j/k.

I still do not know why my computer just decides to shut off and now I get this blue screen now and then that says "begining physical memory dump"

Ralph
11-06-04, 01:02 AM
Nothing is wrong with my '93 your Fleetwood is just so nice.

If you play games on your computer then down the road get a new card but you know what since you have spent so much dont worry about if for now. If you do NightWolf will think of something else you will need haha j/k.

I still do not know why my computer just decides to shut off and now I get this blue screen now and then that says "begining physical memory dump"

LOL! Thanks! I think Rick just wants to see me go broke. :shhh:

I have a PS2 for games, waiting to get San Andraes GTA. :lildevil:

I used to have insufficient memory, and I wonder if you have some virus or bad spyware?! Seriously, it happemed to me and my old computer barely had enough "resources" to stay alive. I would go to www.download.com and download Spybot Search and Destroy! It's free and saved my old computer more than once!! It's so easy to use you will laugh and it really cleans out all the crap that can harm your computer!

majax
11-06-04, 01:25 AM
Dude thanks! :thumbsup:

Ralph
11-06-04, 01:32 AM
Dude thanks! :thumbsup:

You can't miss Spybot, it's on the bottom-middle of that page under "most popular" and I recommend everyone use it. You'll be able to get rid of "value clicks" "DSO Exploits" etc. that can slow up and harm a system.

Let me know how it goes!! And WHAT it found. When it asks after the scan is done select "fix selected problems" and presdo! See if computer runs better.

majax
11-06-04, 01:51 AM
It is opening windows faster and there is no freezing so far :bouncy:. Shoot, I was about to reload windows.

Wow it actually opened Winamp in a resonable amount of time!!

:excited: :shocked2: :woohoo:

Now just watch it, it will prob crash :rolleyes2

jinxed

Ralph
11-06-04, 03:04 AM
It is opening windows faster and there is no freezing so far :bouncy:. Shoot, I was about to reload windows.

Wow it actually opened Winamp in a resonable amount of time!!

:excited: :shocked2: :woohoo:

Now just watch it, it will prob crash :rolleyes2

jinxed

Keep an eye on it. I'm curious what it found on your computer??? Do you remember?

My computer tech guy said to also use "Ad -Aware SE Personal" in conjunction WITH Spy Bot Search and Destroy because EACH kills about 80% of the crap that goes into your computer. (Spyware/Viruses)

You can find Ad Aware on the same page, bottom middle under 10 most popular. If you use both of these say, once a week or more, you should be adequately protected. (www.download.com )

Do you use any firewalls?

majax
11-06-04, 02:28 PM
No I don't have a firewall really that I know of. Sadly enough the computer still oddly shut off. I think I will go ahead and replace the power supply. Sorry, I forgot to write down what it found I just went ahead and deleted it all. :D

Ralph
11-06-04, 03:32 PM
No I don't have a firewall really that I know of. Sadly enough the computer still oddly shut off. I think I will go ahead and replace the power supply. Sorry, I forgot to write down what it found I just went ahead and deleted it all. :D

Try downloading the "Ad-Aware" and running it. I find it's better for killing viruses like Trojans, which is what it sounds like you MIGHT have. It will also get rid of your old cookies.

They are free to use and can be de-installed quite easily. :)

majax
11-06-04, 05:14 PM
yeah I did it and it found a lot of the stuff. I still do not know if it is not going to shut off or not.

Ralph
11-06-04, 06:56 PM
Anyone burn music CD's? I'm going to give it a try. The program that came with the PC is called "Nero Start Smart."

I know of 2 sites where it is free to burn. Or so I was told.

Anyone use Windows Media Player to burn?

majax
11-06-04, 07:03 PM
Nah don't use media player, download Real Player it is really easy to use just click the song from the folder and drag it into Real Player and then hit burn my cd. It works fairly fast the only problem is it does not erase CD-RWs I have another program for that.

burning CD's is great tell me one of your song lists, please.

Ralph
11-06-04, 08:28 PM
I got a question, I'll pm ya on this one. ;)

majax
11-06-04, 10:02 PM
I got a question, I'll pm ya on this one. ;)
OOOO lala

Ralph
11-06-04, 11:21 PM
Well that SUCKS!!! My firewalls won't let me properly download bearshare so burning music is out! :rant2: They even gave me 10 free Fuji CD-R discs that I'll never use! :crying:

Ralph
11-07-04, 12:08 AM
I just discovered something SUPERCOOL! In Windows Media Player, you can play the radio and select any type of music you want. I'm listening to Latin right now (gotta love Shakira) anyway, there is an option to BURN or RIP at the top, however when I select each of these, you get 2 boxes appearing and the trick is to get the song you want to burn in the right column, but I can't!

There has got to be a little trick to this!!!!!

What is the difference between BURN and RIP? If I could just burn from this site the computer's expense would be well worth it!

majax
11-07-04, 12:09 AM
you can use the cds for information use and backing up your special files and put your taxes and blah blah on them.

yeah I have known about internet radio for awhile also with yahoo you can dreate your own radio station its kinda cool to.

I am listening to Sandstorm

Ralph
11-07-04, 12:16 AM
you can use the cds for information use and backing up your special files and put your taxes and blah blah on them.

yeah I have known about internet radio for awhile also with yahoo you can dreate your own radio station its kinda cool to.

I am listening to Sandstorm

Ya but can't I burn this stuff off the radio?????!!!!!, it's GOLDEN!! Shikira ROCKS!

I did burn one song that was programmed into the computer just to test the burner (some sympthony) and I thought you could burn as many times as you wanted on each CD because It wouldn't let me as it said "incert unused CD into tray." So I put one song and probably wasted THAT cd LOL!!!

Have you burned off the radio on win. media player???

majax
11-07-04, 12:39 AM
Yeah once you use a CE-R you cannot use it again but you can use a CD-RW twice. I do not think that you can burn off of the internet radio unless you can somehow save the music coming off the radio station. In order to do that I guess if you had a microphone you could use sound recorder. I would have to investigate it and I will later :D.

what other famous cars on this site are there?

Ralph
11-07-04, 12:45 AM
Yeah once you use a CE-R you cannot use it again but you can use a CD-RW twice. I do not think that you can burn off of the internet radio unless you can somehow save the music coming off the radio station. In order to do that I guess if you had a microphone you could use sound recorder. I would have to investigate it and I will later :D.

what other famous cars on this site are there?

That's a :crying: shame!!! At least it would be free, and I can't believe the selection, and who knows where in the world it's coming from, but cool to get nonetheless! I'm still going to try to figure something out! When I see that "Burn" option on the top of the screen listening to this, it drives me :rant2: I WANT IT!!!

Go to HRS's public profile. He has an awsome, low mi. Fleetwood RWD. There is a pic there, there are a few others around, but not many if any on the sig pics anymore. Get a pic from Sandy too.

davesdeville
11-08-04, 01:44 AM
I did burn one song that was programmed into the computer just to test the burner (some sympthony) and I thought you could burn as many times as you wanted on each CD because It wouldn't let me as it said "incert unused CD into tray." So I put one song and probably wasted THAT cd LOL!!!

When a program burns a CD-R, it has the option of finalizing that CD or not. If it finalizes it, it's done, otherwise more can be written on it. Nero Burning Rom and some other programs let you decide if you want it finalized or not. Some CD players don't like to play CDs that haven't been finalized.

If you want free music just use Kazaa and a launcher program like Diet K to keep the ads and spyware at bay.

Ralph
11-08-04, 03:47 AM
When a program burns a CD-R, it has the option of finalizing that CD or not. If it finalizes it, it's done, otherwise more can be written on it. Nero Burning Rom and some other programs let you decide if you want it finalized or not. Some CD players don't like to play CDs that haven't been finalized.

If you want free music just use Kazaa and a launcher program like Diet K to keep the ads and spyware at bay.

Thanks. I've heard about Kazaa now from a few people, and I assume you have to download something for it? I really want a site where I can burn, but that darn Microsoft firewall that comes with XP doesn't let me! (Bearshare music site) I might try turning off the firewall in the future as I have that option I believe. I would be happy enough burning from the Windows Media Player from the radio, as there is lots of decent music on there. I like how you can pick any city in NA, or go by type of music.

I still want to know what "RIP" is compared to "BURN??" When do you use RIP?

davesdeville
11-08-04, 06:40 PM
When you rip a track, you transfer it from a CD to the computer.

Yeah, Kazaa is a downloaded program infested with spyware and ads. But it has the most people on it and therefore the most files available, and Diet K or other loaders can take care of the nasty programs that come with Kazaa.

Bearshare is a gnutella based P2P client, and IMO gnutella sucks. It always seemed to be slower and like you're less likely to be able to download a file you want as opposed to Kazaa/fasttrack.

I don't know anything about media player radio though.

D148L0
11-08-04, 06:58 PM
Thanks. I've heard about Kazaa now from a few people, and I assume you have to download something for it? I really want a site where I can burn, but that darn Microsoft firewall that comes with XP doesn't let me! (Bearshare music site) I might try turning off the firewall in the future as I have that option I believe. I would be happy enough burning from the Windows Media Player from the radio, as there is lots of decent music on there. I like how you can pick any city in NA, or go by type of music.

I still want to know what "RIP" is compared to "BURN??" When do you use RIP?
You "RIP" when you transfer data from a CD to your computer.
You "BURN" when you do the opposite.
There is one reason why you don't burn from internet radio: when you listen to radio you are "streaming", and that is different from "downloading". Some sites give you both options. You stream it and if you like it you download it, then you can burn it.
I don't use Kazaa anymore. However, if you are going to get music in MP3 format, try to get the tracks with the highest bitrate possible. So, if you are goint to pay, don't use Napster. They only have 128 kbps...

BTW, I like Music Match more than WMP or Winamp...

Ralph
11-08-04, 07:04 PM
When you rip a track, you transfer it from a CD to the computer.

Yeah, Kazaa is a downloaded program infested with spyware and ads. But it has the most people on it and therefore the most files available, and Diet K or other loaders can take care of the nasty programs that come with Kazaa.

Bearshare is a gnutella based P2P client, and IMO gnutella sucks. It always seemed to be slower and like you're less likely to be able to download a file you want as opposed to Kazaa/fasttrack.

I don't know anything about media player radio though.

You said the magic word, SPYWARE. I won't go there then, as I've spent hundreds getting spyware professionally removed from the old computer. I'm talking about the worse kind of spyware that Spybot/Adaware cannot get rid of. The kind of spyware that is only on some of Natasha's lesser known websites. :rant2:

All I know is that I got Windows Media Player as part of my desktop when I bought this new pc as part of XP. I thought there was an earlier version, but I'm not certain.

Ralph
11-08-04, 07:07 PM
You "RIP" when you transfer data from a CD to your computer.
You "BURN" when you do the opposite.
There is one reason why you don't burn from internet radio: when you listen to radio you are "streaming", and that is different from "downloading". Some sites give you both options. You stream it and if you like it you download it, then you can burn it.
I don't use Kazaa anymore. However, if you are going to get music in MP3 format, try to get the tracks with the highest bitrate possible. So, if you are goint to pay, don't use Napster. They only have 128 kbps...

BTW, I like Music Match more than WMP or Winamp...

I'll check out that "Music Match" site sometime. I'm assuming you don't use any kind of firewall protection? XP firewall? I would have had Bearshare downloaded but something is not letting the pc download it properly.

D148L0
11-08-04, 07:34 PM
I have firewall... I'm not familiar with Bearshare, so I can't help there...

davesdeville
11-08-04, 10:20 PM
You said the magic word, SPYWARE. I won't go there then, as I've spent hundreds getting spyware professionally removed from the old computer. I'm talking about the worse kind of spyware that Spybot/Adaware cannot get rid of. The kind of spyware that is only on some of Natasha's lesser known websites. :rant2:

I also said that there are programs that elminate it. I've used Diet K and Kazaa for quite awhile with no problems, no ads, no spyware. And no, I don't own stock in Sharman networks.

Ralph
11-09-04, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'm overly paranoid about spyware, but I have so much protection now that one day I won't even be able to log-on to the net. :(

Ralph
11-09-04, 07:30 PM
I just upgraded to highspeed internet through cable, MAN what a difference. For some reason earlier today all the adds on the left side of this forum wouldn't load, and it jammed up my page. I thought, "Thats it!" I'm not dealing with that anymore.

D148L0
11-09-04, 07:34 PM
Cable, huh? Prepare for hours of music/video downloads... once you go cable, it's never the same. Congrats, man.

Ralph
11-09-04, 07:40 PM
Cable, huh? Prepare for hours of music/video downloads... once you go cable, it's never the same. Congrats, man.

Thanks. I was actually on cable before, but it was just "high speed lite." It seems much faster between pages and waiting to load on the forum now, for example. Then there is the issue of better security that comes with cable internet. A few months ago there was some sort of scam here on victims who had the phone net. It seems that some other company got a hold of peoples numbers through the net server and made a bunch of long distance calls adding up to over $1,000 in some cases. The phone company offered to only pay for half, even though they should have made sure the security was tight! there were hundreds of victims.

I'll stick with cable. There is another much higher speed net I could get but it requires a new modom.

majax
11-09-04, 07:45 PM
You got cable internet Ralph! :welcome: to the faster world wide web

I have it myself it is great when it works :D

Ralph
11-09-04, 07:59 PM
You got cable internet Ralph! :welcome: to the faster world wide web

I have it myself it is great when it works :D

Ya, now in the last 10 mins it jammed up on me again! So I just phoned the cable company and they ran a test on my modum and it looks like there are errors on it so Friday they are bringing me a new one. The strange thing is that when I unplug the modum power supply, it works again for a while. :helpless:

It's nice when it works properly allright.

Ralph
11-12-04, 03:16 PM
Ya, now in the last 10 mins it jammed up on me again! So I just phoned the cable company and they ran a test on my modum and it looks like there are errors on it so Friday they are bringing me a new one. The strange thing is that when I unplug the modum power supply, it works again for a while. :helpless:

It's nice when it works properly allright.

OK, here is what was wrong. Some of you may be experiencing this also. I had TOO MUCH SECURITY! I have the new XP firewall that comes with Microsoft enabled. I have Norton 2005 enabled also. The problem with this is that it was "streamlining" the information too much that comes into the computer and it was jamming up. It's like looking through two windshields in your car, it gets hard to see and it is not necessary.

The remedy: I had a choice, disable Microsoft firewall or de-install Norton. I disabled Microsoft firewall.

I hope I can still get upgrades "pop-ups" now when I'm on the net from Microsoft.

Thanks for all the past responses and hopefully I have a trouble free-set up now! :eek: