: check engine light

ltorrance
09-22-11, 05:38 PM
2006 STS - 54,000 miles had car at dealer today for transmission flush and emission
service ( air filter, fuel filter, clean throttle body ) then they call to let me know of other
issues, water pump / thermostat housing leaking 808.36, intake boot & gasket leaking air
617.00 when car is put in drive i get a loud thumpping noise they say differential bushing
763.00. I declined the work for today, too much to digest. Wondering if there are any DIY
tips or info someone could help me with I could probably do most of the work myself if I had a little help any reccomendations ?

Dj Brady
09-22-11, 06:41 PM
What about your Check Engine light??

As for DIY, it's all relative to your mechanical ability, enthusiasm and work space. Water pump and housing would rate 5/10 on difficulty, intake boot/gasket 2-3/10 and the Differential Bushing 5/10, in my opinion. I wouldn't tackle the Diff Bushing w/out a good way to get the car up 5-6' in the air (of course, I'm a wuss and I hate laying on my back) :)

ltorrance
09-22-11, 08:08 PM
any websites that give instructions, photos, etc. ?

C&C
09-23-11, 06:37 AM
I believe the diff bushing is/was a recall issue; maybe/shouldn't have to pay for that one.

edit: if it was caused by the pinion seal, you may be covered: http://www.dealerrater.com/recalls/Cadillac/STS/ (third one down)

ffrcobra
09-24-11, 05:37 PM
I generally do the maintenance work on all the vehicles I own. I would suggest you order the 2006 Cadillac STS (DS-Platform) Service Manual Set from http://www.helminc.com It's pricey at $135 but you get 3 manuals. Each manual covers a different section of the vehicle and provides detailed step by step instructions for virtually every part on the car. All told, it's in excess of 3000 pages. The manual will pay for itself, the first time you use it.

If, for example, your water pump is truly leaking, you can purchase a new pump for about $55. Now you'll need to buy gasket sealer and antifreeze but you'll be hundreds ahead. And as a side benefit, you'll start to accumulate some really bizarre tools that you'll only use once in your life. :D

Bruce

chazglenn3
09-25-11, 09:52 AM
I have a leak and I can't decide if it is the water pump or the thermostat housing. I have had one dealer tell me pump and another tell me the housing...sigh.