: MAP Trailing Arms? Available? Alternatives?

sciroccokid
09-22-11, 04:23 PM
Guys MAP is sold out of trailing arms. I really need a set! Does anyone else make trailing arms that provide additional clearance? Or, does anyone have a set of MAP trailing arms to sell?

Thanks!

shadybx7
09-22-11, 05:00 PM
You get an alignment yet?. seems hit or miss w/ these rubbing problems... how much clearance do you need??

what about a set of small spacers and longer wheel studs...

MAP trailing arms have there own set of problems..

sciroccokid
09-22-11, 06:19 PM
-I have eibach lowering springs.
-I got an alignment today, the camber is set to 3 now. Before when it only rubbed with passengers the camber was 1.

The new alignment resulted in a LOT of constant rub from the trailing arm on the passenger side.
-So, I put a 5mm spacer on that side as temporary fix.
-I estimate I have 3mm of clearance now between the rim and trailing arm.
-I have not rolled my fenders, they bend upward but are not flush (I assume this is from the factory)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc0daa-a58d-b7ba.jpg
If you look closely in the pic you can see the rub mark near the bottom of the tire. This is where I currently rub when I hit a bump.

If I get a 3mm or 4mm spacer and roll the fenders it might just sneak by...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

DougNuts
09-23-11, 10:18 AM
I'm sure there are reasons, but I don't understand why a company like MAP would stop making parts for a car that is just now getting affordable and into the hands of people more likely to modify them.

GDPossehl
09-23-11, 11:20 AM
So your tire is rubbing the fender lip but you need more trailing arm clearance? How big are these wheels n tires you're trying to fit in there?

Also, are you planning on drifting this car? -3* camber is pretty steep for the street.
I just had mine aligned last night and took it from -2.6 to -2.2 which is the minimum negative camber I'll get without modifying the slots.

shadybx7
09-23-11, 01:23 PM
if you read that entire Map trailing arm thread i think you'll find your answer.. i think they flaked out on making a proper bushing or something.

maybe you can do that .5inch raising mod that guys do with the MM spacers. wont give the trailing arms any more clearance but it would give you some piece of mind driving it around.. check out the "definitive lowering thread" the title is something like that.. really simple shim for the springs

go with alignment specs from the FAQ.. you gonna burn up those rear 19s uneven and quick if you stay at -3 IMO

yooper
09-24-11, 12:08 AM
I have a new set of the MAP trailing arms I will sell. I had the BMR arms and never got around to installing the MAP arms. There is an aftermarket lower trailing arm bushing available now. I will look up what I paid for them and send you a pm if you are still interested.

yooper
09-24-11, 02:09 PM
Map Trailing Arms are sold.

I have a new set of the MAP trailing arms I will sell. I had the BMR arms and never got around to installing the MAP arms. There is an aftermarket lower trailing arm bushing available now. I will look up what I paid for them and send you a pm if you are still interested.

sciroccokid
09-26-11, 04:36 PM
I bought a set of street/strip MAP trailing arms with the spherical front bushing. This should give me the additional half inch of space on the passenger side that I need to clear the rim. At least, I hope it does...

As far as I can tell the arms were well made, and it was the bushings that were rubbish. So, I am going to use Turn In Concepts bushings instead of the spherical ones.

Hope this works. Any thoughts?

Also, word on the street is that a new company is releasing trailing arms that will give extra space real soon...

bassillac
09-28-11, 05:26 PM
Just leave the stock bushings alone and install the MAP arms.

sciroccokid
09-28-11, 05:30 PM
I considered leaving the stock bushings, but at 70k they are prob beat. I want to replace all this cars bushings anyways, give it that new car feel.

bassillac
09-29-11, 05:19 AM
With that many miles I don't blame you. I forget most of your cars are worn out and rusty.

shadybx7
09-29-11, 10:42 AM
Also, word on the street is that a new company is releasing trailing arms that will give extra space real soon...

Turn in Concepts or another company?? the V1 aftermarket is finally starting to pick up

sciroccokid
09-29-11, 11:05 AM
Creative Steel is working on some t-arms.

WesH8398
10-01-11, 04:58 PM
I'm the annoying guy that had a handful of threads regarding various fitment/rubbing issues with 19x10 wheel and 275 tires in the rear.

1) the rubber shim trick had little or nothing to do with the MM spacers. It'll work with any situation where your springs lowered you more than desired.

2) there's nothing wrong with the MAP arms at all. I actually snagged one of the last sets of them for my application after I realized my LC wheels were rubbing, contrary to the vendors assurances that they would not. The issue with the product was always with the bushings, which he stopped selling with the arms. I just kept my OEM bushings installed and haven't had any issues. When I was talking with the MAP rep (can't remember his name) about scrounging up a set for me, he said that they stopped making them because the demand just wasn't there. He got out of the V scene too, I think.

3) -3* camber??? Wow. Did you ask for that severe of a camber for any specific reason? I just had my V aligned and my rear camber is now at -1.36* and -1.66*. All the alignment specs were way off before that. The car handles and drives much better, and the new alignment didn't cause any more rubbing issues.