: 2012 SRX Brakes and Transmission shifter

STL Ron
09-22-11, 01:41 PM
We recently took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD Performance Collection and, so far, are quite pleased with it. However, after our extended test-drive and initial ownership experiences, we have (2) possible areas of concern with the vehicle.
** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
stopped at a traffic light because the car wants to "creep" forward. We have raised the pedals slightly higher and
this adjustment seems to help the condition.
** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertantly shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
into "Drive". If you consider the natural arm movement of moving the shifter, you tend to move from top right to
lower left (toward your body) which then puts you into a non-automatic mode. To counteract this action, we are learning to exert
slight pressure to the right, on the shifter, when shifting in order to correctly move into "Drive". Note that our
CTS Coupe is designed so that you move the shifter to the RIGHT in order to move into a non-automatic mode; it
appears that there is a design error in the SRX shifting pattern.

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.

Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?

Maxdmax
09-22-11, 09:53 PM
We recently took delivery of our 2012 SRX AWD Performance Collection and, so far, are quite pleased with it. However, after our extended test-drive and initial ownership experiences, we have (2) possible areas of concern with the vehicle.
** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
stopped at a traffic light because the car wants to "creep" forward. We have raised the pedals slightly higher and
** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertantly shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
into "Drive". If you consider the natural arm movement of moving the shifter, you tend to move from top right to
lower left (toward your body) which then puts you into a non-automatic mode. To counteract this action, we are learning to exert
slight pressure to the right, on the shifter, when shifting in order to correctly move into "Drive". Note that our
CTS Coupe is designed so that you move the shifter to the RIGHT in order to move into a non-automatic mode; it
appears that there is a design error in the SRX shifting pattern.

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.

Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?

We have a 2012 SRX premium collection and I have driven it about 700 miles. There was another post here about the brakes being too hard, but our SRX brakes seem firm and the travel is fine on our SRX. On the shifter this has never happened to me so far, it seems to take a bit of effort to get it into the left for manual mode to me, but I normally drive a 6 speed manual car so I am not used to anything being different on an auto.

Marc NY
09-22-11, 10:19 PM
... ** There is an unusual amount of brake pedal travel before the brakes activate; additionally, you must be very careful when
** When shifting from "Park" to "Drive" it is very easy to inadvertently shift into the "Sport" or "Manual" mode rather than
into "Drive".

Our dealer's service department has checked both items and reports them to be "normal" with no identified problems.Has anyone else experienced either of these conditions? If so, how did you resolve them?I agree with Maxdmax I like my brakes a lot and they are very responsive and don't travel far before they are engaged.

As far as the shifter goes I have had the same travel to the left on my 2010 SRX and it is the same on my 2012 SRX. Since I like to rest my hand on the shift lever I find myself pulling slightly to the left at times so I have to agree it moves very easily to the left and I have on numerous occasions moved it into the manual mode accidentally. I don't know if that is wrong or right but I would probably prefer it to move to the right instead of left. Just my .02

As far as the dealer stated those issues seem to me to be normal characteristics of the SRX model.

Added Note: I just reread your post and perhaps you are shorter than maxdmax and myself. I am 6' 2" and I can reach the brake pedal very easily. I see you adjusted the pedals and brought them closer to you and you experienced it working better for you. Perhaps by you adjusting the distance even closer it would help resolve your sensation of having to press further down to get the brakes to work for you.

Just a thought... :)

2012Pearl
10-12-11, 01:02 PM
I agree that you have to press pretty hard to get any braking but I'll get used to it. I also pull it into sport mode often. My Caliber didn't have a straight front to back gear shift- you had to go side to side so it's automatic for me to pull it towards me. I'm sure I'll get used to that as well. It's already getting better.