: AutoTransmssion Blown!

creed2
09-21-11, 09:27 PM
Out last Sat on errand run in my 2011 CTS-V with 4895miles and the transmission went!! Car has been in the shop since Monday. Dealer says that the transmission pump failed causing the transmission to blow and leaving metal shavings in the fluid. The V has been a weekend car with no hard driving on it. I understand mechinacs and that things break but needless to say I am very disappointed by this. GM is ground shipping in a new transmission

M5eater
09-21-11, 09:32 PM
Sounds like quality control or assembly error. These things happen occasionally on relatively new, complex systems. It's easy to brush aside until you're the one facing it, but luckily, car's come with a warranty. Make sure to go through the break-in period again if they don't remind you.

creed2
09-21-11, 09:35 PM
Thanks for comments. Up until the moment of failure the transmission felt bulletproof....Didnt forget about the new break end period

RapidRob
09-21-11, 10:56 PM
I think this is the 1st time I've read about a new V tranny blowing on this board. A few have caused some problems after guys have modded their V's and raced them, but even then not that many that I can recall.

Rob

jwa999
09-21-11, 11:44 PM
My 5th gear locked up at 6K on my 2009-V. They could never figure out why. Shifting from 4th to 5th would completely lock up the car, bringing it to a stand still. Drove in 4th to the dealer. Now at 26K, no tranny problems anymore on the new one.

shade
09-21-11, 11:58 PM
At least it was from the pump failing and not the tranny itself. Pump fails on anything and the part being serviced by the pump will fail. These trannys are pretty stout

Caddyscat
09-22-11, 06:28 AM
Thank goodness for warranties. Did they give you a cadillac loaner?

Cub Cadet
09-22-11, 08:31 AM
Good time to change over to a manual transmission? I have yet to find one that has failed - modified or stock. I have found many automatics that have failed though - both modified and stock. I learned my lesson early and went with the manual on this car.

Speedtrapped
09-22-11, 08:53 AM
damn....this thread always give me a chill, as my Vagon is 4 months and auto. I ofcourse staged 2 because I cant help myself, knoing full well, if something blows I would assume I am on the hook.....oh well....If mine blows, I guess I will eat it, pull it, and beef the internals up.
Damn. Sorry for your situation, but sounds like you kept it stock and warranty has your back

creed2
09-22-11, 09:15 AM
I did a lot of research before settling on the auto trans for my V and I couldnt find one negative thing about the auto so i went with it. I think my situation is definitely unique and more of a freak accident. Cadillac service has not done anything special so far. I did get a loaner, dont drive it. Only issue is getting the trans from Mich to MD via ground shipment, wont be here till the earliest Tues. Sept. 27, that puts the car down at the dealer for almost to 2 weeks. Ill post updates when I get them. Thanks!

M5eater
09-22-11, 09:40 AM
damn....this thread always give me a chill, as my Vagon is 4 months and auto. I ofcourse staged 2 because I cant help myself, knoing full well, if something blows I would assume I am on the hook.....oh well....If mine blows, I guess I will eat it, pull it, and beef the internals up.
Damn. Sorry for your situation, but sounds like you kept it stock and warranty has your back

you wouldn't be a real hot-rodder if you didn't break something on the way though :D

Good time to change over to a manual transmission? I have yet to find one that has failed - modified or stock.
the 6060R is roubust for sure, but it's not without fault. Have you had to turkey-baste the clutch fluid res because it turns black and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor yet?

MReiland
09-22-11, 09:45 AM
The 6L90 has actually had a pretty good track record especially with all of the people modding the motor, some people modding it much higher than stock. I think you can have some statistical amount of early failures in almost anything mechanical. One of the biggest complaints is the slow to respond shift time, other than that, I think it has been pretty stout so far.

Speedtrapped
09-22-11, 12:05 PM
how about an f1 style trans?? sure its a fortune, but man I got to drive a couple of LP640's recently....power, sure, exotic yes....but the trans was awesome, insane and fun! sorry I always Digress

dkozloski
09-22-11, 12:12 PM
F1 transmission =approx$180,000.

Speedtrapped
09-22-11, 12:35 PM
^^^^lol....i knew it wasnt cheap...

M5eater
09-22-11, 01:05 PM
The 6L90 has actually had a pretty good track record especially with all of the people modding the motor, some people modding it much higher than stock. I think you can have some statistical amount of early failures in almost anything mechanical. One of the biggest complaints is the slow to respond shift time, other than that, I think it has been pretty stout so far.
yup, it and the 6L80E seem to hold up to a pretty decent amount of power stock. It's only the crazy high-levels where they seem to fall short of the 4L80E.