: To K59 or not to K59, that is the question?

dunroven
10-27-04, 08:26 PM
I am excited about ordering my 05 STS (1SF) Silver Smoke/Light Gray

My delema is whether or not to add the Adaptive Cruise Control/Heads Up...

I love gadgets, but for 2 grand (ruffly) and current ordering constraints, I'm wondering if it is just a gimmick I'll never use or if it's going to be worth the wait...

Hears what i've managed to piece together from other threads here in this great forum:

Pros:
Very cool state of the art toy
HUD might make me feel like I'm back in the Navy again.
No more annoying breaking and thus losing cruise when people ahead slow

Cons:
Expensive
Resale value (I assume it's worth nothing on trade)
Cheap Grill Cadillac Logo
No more toggling through radio presets using steering wheel button
Current ordering constraints

I'd sure be interested in the thoughts and opinions of others

-john

Blue Chip
10-28-04, 10:58 AM
I am excited about ordering my 05 STS (1SF) Silver Smoke/Light Gray

My delema is whether or not to add the Adaptive Cruise Control/Heads Up...

I love gadgets, but for 2 grand (ruffly) and current ordering constraints, I'm wondering if it is just a gimmick I'll never use or if it's going to be worth the wait...

Hears what i've managed to piece together from other threads here in this great forum:

Pros:
Very cool state of the art toy
HUD might make me feel like I'm back in the Navy again.
No more annoying breaking and thus losing cruise when people ahead slow

Cons:
Expensive
Resale value (I assume it's worth nothing on trade)
Cheap Grill Cadillac Logo
No more toggling through radio presets using steering wheel button
Current ordering constraints

I'd sure be interested in the thoughts and opinions of others

-john

I went through the same decision process. Because of the constraint, my dealer even told me I could change my order and drop the ACC anytime before they put my car into production. I decided to wait. I really want the HUD. Not only is it a way cool gadget, it's very useful, especially as linked to the NAV. The ACC is terrific if you take a lot of trips. I used to travel a lot, but don't travel that much now. A doctor I know of, who does travel a lot in business, says the ACC is the best accessory he's ever had in a car. IMO your driving habits and love of gadgets will determine the value of this item to you. I haven't checked with my dealer, but the constraint should be only a few more weeks based on my original order date. As for the grill logo, if you haven't actually seen an STS with ACC, take a look at an XLR to get an idea what a plastic disc logo looks like, as opposed to the metal crest.

harryctsv
10-28-04, 11:12 AM
hi blue chip,

my XLR got the sonsors for the ACC in the lower grill, that means left and right of the license plate.(Im a german in germany)

I got the metal-like-looking right in the center og the grill.

Well, I got the HUD on my vette and xlr but the cruise-control I never use here in germany.

We have very havy traffic here, but when the roads are clear my cars have to move!

for us-highways thats ok, because you are doing then maybe 70-80 mph but as I said here I`m doing 120/140/160 or even sometimes 180 miles when the road is clear. (180mph or up to 304 kmh with my vette and 165mph or 265 kmh with my xlr)

dunroven
10-28-04, 11:26 AM
Blue Chip,

Thank you for your comprehensive and thorough response.

I live in a very rural area on the California/Oregon border along the I-5 corridor. Roads are all wide open with limited traffic (heavy truck traffic). I love gadgets. It sounds like I may be in the perfect area for letting her rip!

As for the looking at the plastic vs metal emblem on an XLR that's pretty funny. I can't remember the time I've seen a passanger sedan around here let-a-lone a cadillac XLR :) This is Ford Power Stroke/Dodge Cummins country, hehe!!

I am really leaning towards including the K59 in my order. Thank you again for your input.

As for harryctsv, I too can get her going in the wide open spaces here, but with no Autobahn I have to watch for the CHP! I ordered a BEL 975-R built in radar/laser dectector from ebay. Hope it works because I can't wait to open the new caddy up!!!

-john

harryctsv
10-28-04, 01:51 PM
john,
Ihope it works for you!

I travel a lot to the us and only got 1 speeding ticket.

PTC Sclade
10-28-04, 02:45 PM
I just recently drove a Lexsus that had it on. Unless you are on an open road it is a pain in the neck. I was running between 80 and 85 and all it did was slow me down. It really is a crash avoidance system which may be very good for long driving trips but I felt that in traffic on Interstate 20 it was an expensive gadget that did not enhance the driving experience.

Blue Chip
10-29-04, 11:45 AM
hi blue chip,

my XLR got the sonsors for the ACC in the lower grill, that means left and right of the license plate.(Im a german in germany)

I got the metal-like-looking right in the center og the grill.

Well, I got the HUD on my vette and xlr but the cruise-control I never use here in germany.

We have very havy traffic here, but when the roads are clear my cars have to move!

for us-highways thats ok, because you are doing then maybe 70-80 mph but as I said here I`m doing 120/140/160 or even sometimes 180 miles when the road is clear. (180mph or up to 304 kmh with my vette and 165mph or 265 kmh with my xlr)

You've never driven in the Western US. No traffic and virtually no speed limit.

Blue Chip
10-29-04, 11:54 AM
Blue Chip,

Thank you for your comprehensive and thorough response.

I live in a very rural area on the California/Oregon border along the I-5 corridor. Roads are all wide open with limited traffic (heavy truck traffic). I love gadgets. It sounds like I may be in the perfect area for letting her rip!

As for the looking at the plastic vs metal emblem on an XLR that's pretty funny. I can't remember the time I've seen a passanger sedan around here let-a-lone a cadillac XLR :) This is Ford Power Stroke/Dodge Cummins country, hehe!!

I am really leaning towards including the K59 in my order. Thank you again for your input.

As for harryctsv, I too can get her going in the wide open spaces here, but with no Autobahn I have to watch for the CHP! I ordered a BEL 975-R built in radar/laser dectector from ebay. Hope it works because I can't wait to open the new caddy up!!!

-john

dunroven,

I forgot to reply to one of your "cons" to the ACC - no radio select button on the steering wheel. I guarantee you won't miss this because the STS has something better. You can operate your radio without ever touching it. It's voice-actuated. If you want to go to a particular station, you don't have to toggle through your presets with a steering wheel switch. You just say "103.1" or whatever frequency you want, and the radio goes right to it. You can also say "scan," "on," "off," "CD," etc. to operate it.

There are dozens of things that are voice-actuated (heating, A/C, NAV, etc.). You can even open and close the windows! This is so cool.

eamc
10-30-04, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, K59 is more than a cool toy - it is an outstanding feature. In Europe, over 10% of Mercedes cars are sold with this. On Interstate highways in France, you see hundreds of big KEEP YOUR DISTANCE signs. When you come to the 20-30 booth toll stations, every one has a big poster: IF YOU FOLLOW TOO CLOSE, 1 OUT OF 6 DIES, etc. Adaptive cruise control will definitely slow you down, it is not primarily a crash avoidance system, but it will increase your safety if you allow it to. Also, in poor visibility, the system may "acquire" cars in front of you before you can see them distinctly. My main reason for choosing the STS (I have not ordered yet) is because Cadillac is implementing this, while a Lexus RX330, which I had ordered with adaptive cruise control, could not be delivered. Many other fine cars such as Mercedes E class, Acura, Audi 2005 A6, Volvo, etc. also do not offer it in the U.S. Note, however, that K59 for the STS is ON HOLD now - and maybe GM cannot deliver either?

Edwin M.

dunroven
10-30-04, 03:01 PM
eamc:
Thank you for the new insights with a European flair!! I'm actually getting excited about the prospect of having ACC and really getting fired up about the HUD.
-john

eamc
11-03-04, 08:47 PM
Well,when are you getting it? It is on hold, isn't it? Until when ????

dunroven
11-04-04, 11:40 AM
Well,when are you getting it? It is on hold, isn't it? Until when ????
Probably 10 to 12 weeks is my guess :thumbsup:
Here is a cool link which gives production stats: Production Hold/Delays (http://www.arifleet.com/production.html)
Hope there is no "Early Adopter Price" to pay for being the first one on the block with K59 in an STS
-john

jworkmans
11-16-04, 12:15 PM
John,

I just got my STS with the K59 and it's, well, annoying.

In general, I think the nitwits at GM who designed that stupid stalk-mounted cruise should be spanked, that being said, I tend to leave my cruise in the ON position and only set it when I want it.

With the ACC, the radar is on when the cruise is on - even if you aren't "cruising". This means that the HUD gets a little "car" symbol on it when you approach another vehicle - not too bad. But it really gets to be a pain when it thinks you're gonna hit the car in front of you and you get the red "CRASH" car symbol and the beeping. Scares the snot out of me.

Now, I hafta actually use the damn on-off button on the cruise stalk-from-hell and it's just one more thing I gotta keep track of.

So, IMHO, skip the ACC - but that means no HUD, and that's the really ultra kewl thing. Lots of neat stuff gets put on your windshield....just don't forget to watch the road, too.

John

Blue Chip
11-17-04, 10:11 AM
John,

I just got my STS with the K59 and it's, well, annoying.

In general, I think the nitwits at GM who designed that stupid stalk-mounted cruise should be spanked, that being said, I tend to leave my cruise in the ON position and only set it when I want it.

With the ACC, the radar is on when the cruise is on - even if you aren't "cruising". This means that the HUD gets a little "car" symbol on it when you approach another vehicle - not too bad. But it really gets to be a pain when it thinks you're gonna hit the car in front of you and you get the red "CRASH" car symbol and the beeping. Scares the snot out of me.

Now, I hafta actually use the damn on-off button on the cruise stalk-from-hell and it's just one more thing I gotta keep track of.

So, IMHO, skip the ACC - but that means no HUD, and that's the really ultra kewl thing. Lots of neat stuff gets put on your windshield....just don't forget to watch the road, too.

John

How did you get a K59 when they're supposed to be on constraint indefinitely? How long ago did you order it?

jworkmans
11-17-04, 12:36 PM
Blue Chip,

I had my dealer do a HUGE search for a 1SG/K59 - in any color combo. They found a Red/Gray in Corpus Christi, TX and a Black/Black in Clinton, MO (About 150 miles from St. Louis).

I originally chose the Red/Gray, but the dealer in CC skrood me over, so I went with the Black/Black.

The only way that you'll get a K59 now is if you find one already wheels-down, but not one that's still in the build process. I did find another 1SG/K59 in St. Louis which was Moonstone/Cashmere - but that was a few days ago.

They're becoming finer that frogs hair.

IMHO, if we could unbundle the ACC from the HUD it'd be great. The ACC is a PITA (Pain in the A$$), but the HUD is pretty kewl.

Just one more gripe about what SHOULD have been a great car.

John

60 special
11-17-04, 03:38 PM
ACC sounds just like Night Vision to me! :hmm:

Blue Chip
11-18-04, 09:35 AM
Blue Chip,

IMHO, if we could unbundle the ACC from the HUD it'd be great. The ACC is a PITA (Pain in the A$$), but the HUD is pretty kewl..

John

My sentiments exactly!