: N* picky about motor oil?

farmerjohn
09-21-11, 10:46 AM
The manual for my new (to me) 2005 SRX V8 says 5W-30 synthetic oil. Is that really necessary?

My 1995 Eldo has chewed 10w-30 mineral oil from a good standard manufacturer for many years and almost 200k miles, no problems.

They are both N*, so why should I not pour the 10w-30 in the SRX?

Submariner409
09-21-11, 11:15 AM
Two different engines, two entirely different sets of production tolerances. The 2005 is 11 model years later than the '95. MANY engine changes, including roller cam followers...........

Use whatever 5W-30 synthetic you like. I prefer Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum and use them in the STS - get 4,500+ miles/quart.

You might want to do some homework and consider running the '95 on a fleet/marine HD 10W-30 oil. The new SM/SN oil service designation has once again lowered the zinc/phosphorus (ZDDP) levels in oil, so your flat tappet cam followers are at risk of scuff wear. Look for Shell Rotella, Pennzoil LongLife, Chevron DELO and variants. These are severe service oils, have a higher ZDDP level than the starburst-designated automotive oils (thus, not EPA recommended for automotive use), and will not harm catalytic converters. Also, take a look at the new crop of EURO designated oils. Same HD additive packages, but more multigrade choices.

LOTS of discussion and oil wars in these various threads on "what's best" for my Flapfish 60.

farmerjohn
09-21-11, 11:40 AM
Ah, yes. I have heard about the ZDDP issue. So I am already using HD oil for trucks & tractors. Fits nice with my JD and digger.

But the synthetic is at least 5 times more expensive. Farmers you know, makes the scots look like big spenders.:bouncy:

Ranger
09-21-11, 02:06 PM
I don't know much about the SRX or it's engine, but if the engine has VVT (Variable Valve Timing), then you must use synthetic as the oil is used as a hydraulic fluid and must be very fluid at cold temps. If it does not have VVT, then you can still use 10W30. Mine calls for 5W30 and I've been using 10W30 since I bought it at 17K (now has 90K).

RippyPartsDept
09-21-11, 04:29 PM
owners manual will call for GM4718M spec oil ... i think... either that or GM6409M spec

definitely in 5w30 that's for sure

farmerjohn
09-21-11, 04:40 PM
I hear you guys. So it's not like a N* is a N* is a N*. I'll check with my regular oil suppliers what they can offer in 5w-30 synthetic in consumer packing as well as business.

RippyPartsDept
09-21-11, 04:44 PM
synthetic isn't necessary the GM spec is

most oils that meet the spec will be synthetics some will be blends ... there might be a few that are conventional

go with the spec in 5w30 any brand that pleases you

johnny kannapo
09-23-11, 12:17 PM
I would have to believe the synthetic requirement is needed mainly to achive the longer
OCI intervals and it would be fine to use a quality conventional in shorter intervals.

I think there is some trickery going on with these blended oils and are being labled "synthetic technology"
and other catch phrases when they are synthetic blends this sort of word play becoming harder to identify them as a blended oil.

farmerjohn
09-23-11, 03:19 PM
I've looking at oil specs. Do you guys know if there is a correlation between the GM LL-B025 and the GM4718M specs?

Looking at a good mineral 10w-30 and comparing with a fully synthetic 5w-30, there are only marginal differences. It sure makes you wonder if it's worth the money in a fully "broken in" motor?

RippyPartsDept
09-23-11, 03:49 PM
Did you read this page?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143311

I've never heard of GM LL0B205 before ... and from quickly searching and finding that page I now know why.... it's a European Spec for GM cars sold in Europe

If I was you I wouldn't use it... and I would wonder if you could even find it for sale here in the states

edit: after fully reading that thread (read the last comment) ... that B in the spec designates it as an oil for diesel engines! ... LL-A205 would be the gas engine spec... still i doubt you can find it in the states since it's for european engines

Submariner409
09-23-11, 04:28 PM
Not quite............The EURO designated oils, conventional and synthetic, do not carry our "starburst" symbol because they exceed the current EPA limits for anti-scuff and anti-wear additives: ZDDP.

Fleet and marine oils are not strictly FOR diesel engines: they are ALSO rated for diesel use.

I have run a mixture of Pennzoil Platinum (synthetic) multigrade oils in both the car and truck for a couple of years now. 5.5 quarts of 5W-30 and 2 quarts of EURO 0W-40. Happy camper - clean engine, clean oil, and essentially no oil consumption - if you want to class >4,500 miles/quart for a Northstar as "no oil consumption".

BTW, here's the automobile manufacturer approval codes for Pennzoil Platinum EURO 0W-40 synthetic: "Meets or exceeds the requirements of API SM, ACEA A3/B4-04 and A3/B3-04. Meets BMW LL-01, MB-Approval 229.5, Porsche and VW 502 00/505 00." EURO oil is not solely "diesel oil".

bobistheoilguy is a fun site but it's non-scientific, subject to bias and rumor, and contains a lot of inflammatory (You're all wrong; do it because I say so") posting. You have to surf the site using a weather eye.

Oil wars are fun. As I've said before: "Oil, guns, whiskey and women........Everyone has their own preferences."

RippyPartsDept
09-23-11, 04:46 PM
Sub... i might have not been clear

these two GM specs are for diesel and gas engines separately ... same as the new Dexos1 and Dexos2 are for gas and diesel (respectively) ...

LL-A205 is for gas engines
LL-B205 is for diesel engines

i don't know why they make separate oils for gas vs diesel engines but i'm neither a powertrain or lubrication engineer

Submariner409
09-23-11, 05:13 PM
It has a LOT to do with the crying need for ash and soot dispersants for diesel use. The soot load carried in just about any diesel crankcase/dry sump tank would make your eyes water - witness the color of perfectly good diesel oil after very few miles: jet black.

Ranger
09-23-11, 10:09 PM
:yeah: Been there seen that.