: Stale fuel?

Garys
09-20-11, 08:21 PM
Took my car out of 6 month storage (no fuel stabilizer) and it runs fine as long as the engine is not under a load. Under heavy acceleration, or climbing a hill, the motor looses power and starts missing. No pinging or rough idle though. It ran fine prior to storag. It is running better with fresh gas and the longer I drive it. I am going to try a fuel system cleaner. Anyone have any luck with Seafoam, or any of the others? :hmm:

outsider
09-20-11, 08:29 PM
i use seafoam often. it's good stuff. also use iso heat.

sven914
09-20-11, 08:38 PM
Your running on kerosene... I would keep topping it off every quarter to half tank, to dilute as much of the crappy gas as possible. Then on the next full thank, add a bottle of Gum Out with Regane, and clean the induction with Sea Foam.

Garys
09-22-11, 08:54 PM
Well, 325 miles from home in Las Vegas and having my 79 Cadillac run just really crappy the whole way over, I was not sure what to do for my return trip home. Turned out I was correct about the fuel being bad. I have never had any success with fuel additives until now. I poured a can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank, and after about 50 miles of driving; the engine stumbled and almost stalled and then began to run great on my return trip home. Being 105 degrees, I held my breath just past Primm, NV at the first significant desert grade, but my 79 performed flawlessly. I will ALWAYS use a fuel stabilizer before storing my car! Next month, San Diego up to Paso Robles, another 300+ miler.

77CDV
09-23-11, 02:46 AM
I've been using fuel stabilizer in my 77 ever since I got to the point where I dust it more often than wash it. :nono:

jayoldschool
09-23-11, 08:59 AM
Gas will not go stale after only 6 months. Speaking from almost 25 years experience of storing cars for winter, and driving cars occasionally. I have NEVER used a fuel stabilizer. Both my Cadillac and my 71 Pontiac started and ran fine after being stored for over a year. If you're worried, just put some fresh gas in, and give it a run. For anything older than the 90s, try and run ethanol-free gas. Here, that means buying super, even if the car doesn't need it.

outsider
09-23-11, 11:00 AM
Nice info Jay. I've heard horror stories from some people saying "after as little as 3 weeks the gas will start to turn bad" lol

I've never bought into it as I've had cars running on the same gas for months (barely get driven) and they always do fine.

sven914
09-23-11, 11:06 AM
It depends on how long the gas was stored. Fresh gasoline, in a sealed container will last for several months, but you never know how long it was sitting at the refinery, the fuel depot, or the storage tanks under the station. If you get gas from a small, rural station, that doesn't see any business, the gas you pump could be a year old already.

Mark 78 Coupe
09-23-11, 12:49 PM
What is Seafoam? All the usual questions; how much, where to get it, and do you just put it in the gas tank? My deville has been sitting for about 5 years, only starting it a few times a year (until recently) and it does take a few minutes to warm up, but I always figured that's just what a carb does. The more it runs, the smoother it gets, and I have been adding fresh gas ( a few gallons at a time ) to bring some fresh gas into the tank.

outsider
09-23-11, 01:07 PM
seafoam is great stuff...

put it in your gas tank to clean out the fuel system
you can inject it into your intake (dump down carb throat or suck in through main vacuum) to clean out the intake etc
and even put in your oil for 100 to 200 miles before a change to clean out engine gunk (though some have said not to as it can cause leaks if you have old gaskets)

I get it usually at napa or walmart, about $8 to $10 per can...

sven914
09-23-11, 01:52 PM
I've never used it as a fuel additive, but it works great as and induction cleaner. With a car that sits for long periods of time, pouring Sea Foam directly into the carburettor will do a better job at cleaning the carburettor passages and the tops of the pistons, than it would if you ran it through the tank.

Garys
09-23-11, 07:26 PM
Gas will not go stale after only 6 months. Speaking from almost 25 years experience of storing cars for winter, and driving cars occasionally. I have NEVER used a fuel stabilizer. Both my Cadillac and my 71 Pontiac started and ran fine after being stored for over a year. If you're worried, just put some fresh gas in, and give it a run. For anything older than the 90s, try and run ethanol-free gas. Here, that means buying super, even if the car doesn't need it.

A week ago I would have agreed with you. I have never had any trouble with gas going bad in the past. Whatever the issue was, Sea Foam did the trick for me in a matter of about twenty minutes of driving. Gumout, STP, or any other additive might have worked just as well, but I had heard good things about it, so I figured I would give it a try.