: Shifting during Break In Period V2, Help

peso611
09-20-11, 06:11 PM
So I understand that the break in period is 1500 miles for the 6MT, for those who believe in a break in period.

1. Don't drive at a constant speed for a long periods
2. Don't take the RPM's over 4K.

So when should I shift? Is it ok to shift every gear at 3500 RPM's? Is it ok to go as fast as I want as long as I am not taking the RPM's over 4k?

Sorry I haven't driven a stick since high school, long time.

JFJr
09-20-11, 06:30 PM
You have the right idea, but don't be afraid to hit 4,000 rpm briefly. The idea is to allow the transmission and differential parts to get used to each other. Up and down the rpm range, as long as oil temperature is within normal range, and the drivetrain will talk to you; an advantage of the manual transmission; plus you'll love the sounds. I would advise smoothness in all inputs; remember Jackie Stewart. The smoothest drivers are the fastest.

Jud

MotownPimp
09-20-11, 06:36 PM
1) Use common sense; don't go full out but some over 4 Gs is fine.

2) Ignore the posts that will pop up here saying "drive it like you stole it" from the get-go. LOL!

peso611
09-20-11, 06:38 PM
You have the right idea, but don't be afraid to hit 4,000 rpm briefly. The idea is to allow the transmission and differential parts to get used to each other. Up and down the rpm range, as long as oil temperature is within normal range, and the drivetrain will talk to you; an advantage of the manual transmission; plus you'll love the sounds. I would advise smoothness in all inputs; remember Jackie Stewart. The smoothest drivers are the fastest.

Jud

Thanks for the feed back. What is the normal temperature for Oil range?

peso611
09-20-11, 06:43 PM
1) Use common sense; don't go full out but some over 4 Gs is fine.

2) Ignore the posts that will pop up here saying "drive it like you stole it" from the get-go. LOL!

Well right about now I feel like someone stole her. I just picked her up on Saturday and she's back at the dealer to get yellow calipers. The dealer was suppose to have it back today but some how they sent duplicates of the rear caliper so they are trying to rush order the last caliper. Hopefully ill have her back tomorrow. It was a real tease just having her for the weekend.

JFJr
09-20-11, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the feed back. What is the normal temperature for Oil range?I'd have to research the number, you can do that, too, but if you drive for about 5 minutes from cold, you should be fine. The last poster was right; respect your machinery and you won't have problems down the road. BTW, you're driving one of, if not the best of, all the super sedans/coupes on the planet, so you're one of the lucky few, like the others on this forum. Don't forget to have fun.

Jud

peso611
09-20-11, 06:55 PM
I'd have to research the number, you can do that, too, but if you drive for about 5 minutes from cold, you should be fine. The last poster was right; respect your machinery and you won't have problems down the road. BTW, you're driving one of, if not the best of, all the super sedans/coupes on the planet, so you're one of the lucky few, like the others on this forum. Don't forget to have fun.

Jud

Thaks, I will! By the way it's a Vagon.

JFJr
09-20-11, 07:44 PM
Thaks, I will! By the way it's a Vagon.Same thing; the Vagon is in a class by itself. You're witnessing something special; don't worry about distinctions. Be careful, the "V" doesn't give you good feedback for road speed, so watch your speedometer!

Squirlz
09-21-11, 12:30 AM
I had a great time breaking in our wagon this past weekend on the west coast of Michigan! Showing about 1100 miles now. I've romped on it a few times. Haven't gone more than about 95 yet.

Razorecko
09-21-11, 12:58 AM
I romped on my 6mt, If you go to say like redline just let it drop down until you're at 3k to shift. Youre breaking the car in so you need to be able to "flex it" , "shift at a comfortable point on the clutch", than let cool for a few as all the moving parts need time to cool off.