Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Innovator 
#1 ·
My son just bought a 72 Coupe Deville with the 472. The motor would not idle down when he brought it home. Actually the wife drove it home. I discovered that the carb linkage (cable) was being held open by another cabel attached to the carb. Looks like a chain link and solid cable. What does this operate? Ordered a book already but won't be here until next week.
Also the cable does not allow the carb to even open the secondaries on the Q-jet. Runs pretty sluggish when you step on it to pass.
Wanted to check the timing but this car seems to have a multitude of vacumm lines to plug. Where do I find the line that operates the parking brake. Thanks for your help. This motor is more complex than the 454 in my 67 Chevelle. :hmm:

#2 ·
It sounds like the cruise control cable. Is it one of those ball chains like on a light pull? The release for the park brake is down near the pedal. There is a vacuum hose to release it when you put it in gear and a little lever in case that won't work. :welcome:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.