: New Cad owner

primerandflames
10-27-04, 04:26 PM
My son just bought a 72 Coupe Deville with the 472. The motor would not idle down when he brought it home. Actually the wife drove it home. I discovered that the carb linkage (cable) was being held open by another cabel attached to the carb. Looks like a chain link and solid cable. What does this operate? Ordered a book already but won't be here until next week.
Also the cable does not allow the carb to even open the secondaries on the Q-jet. Runs pretty sluggish when you step on it to pass.
Wanted to check the timing but this car seems to have a multitude of vacumm lines to plug. Where do I find the line that operates the parking brake. Thanks for your help. This motor is more complex than the 454 in my 67 Chevelle. :hmm:

barge master
10-27-04, 08:42 PM
It sounds like the cruise control cable. Is it one of those ball chains like on a light pull? The release for the park brake is down near the pedal. There is a vacuum hose to release it when you put it in gear and a little lever in case that won't work. :welcome:

primerandflames
10-28-04, 05:55 PM
Yes, it does look like a chain encased in plastic. Thanks for info on the vacumm line. Guess I'll try plugging all those ports and check the timing again.

JTraik
10-29-04, 05:10 PM
As far as the parking brake goes, on my 68 you have to put it in gear and it disengages, thats the only way, dont know if they changed that in 72.