: How to tell if have adjustable shiting linkage?

09-20-11, 03:04 PM
My car has been making a clanking noise when I shift. I got under the car and found that the bushing on the tranny side of the shifting linkage has eroded away and fallen off. I have also read (one thread on this forum) about others having this problem too.

I called Lindsay Cadillac and asked if they made the bushing and they said I have to buy the whole linkage. The part isn't that expensive, but there are 2 kinds. There is an adjustable one and a non adjustable one. Prices are about $50 and $80 respectively.

The guy at Lindsay Cadillac said that there is no way to tell if I have an adjustable one besides actually looking. He sa9id he cant even tell by my VIN. I tried looking online to see if there is a picture of the two (or one of the two) it and I couldn't find one.

So, I'm gonna get the car in the air sometime later and see if I can tell which one I have.

Has anyone ever changed one? Or happen to know how to tell the difference? Maybe it is easy to see if its adjustable but I don't know because when I had the car in the air and found out that the linkage was the problem I just went straight to the noise and didn't examine the whole linkage.

Any help is appreciated.

09-21-11, 02:27 PM
Wow...first it was the "shit to park" thread and now this. I'm glad my car isn't this shitty...lol.

09-21-11, 04:11 PM
If you read about it alot of GM's cars have the same type/style linkage. And after 6+ years rubber and plastic are usually not doing too great.

It is a stupid design. The reason I guess they dont sell the bushings is that you need a press and grinder to separate the linkage to put them in. There is a thread on here where a couple of people made theyre own bushings but the whole linkage is pretty cheap so Ill just buy it. Just trying to get the time to get under there and figure it out.

Was hoping someone had done it before.