: Where can I get an inner CV?

Jon
09-20-11, 02:44 PM
Broke my driver side inner CV on the rear axle. Been doing some searching and it seems you can't buy it from GM on its own. Anyone know where I can buy one? Or have one from a factory axle I can buy?

Cheers

lollygagger8
09-20-11, 03:02 PM
I still have my factory axles. How much do those things go for nowadays?

Jon
09-20-11, 03:10 PM

I have no idea dude. I don't see them on eBay or anywhere else. Right now my other option is to have my CV rebuilt.

lollygagger8
09-20-11, 03:22 PM
How much is a rebuild?

Jon
09-20-11, 04:09 PM
How much is a rebuild?

$250 locally apparently. Or $260 in the US

PISNUOFF
09-20-11, 04:52 PM

$125 at the junk yard.

sciroccokid
09-21-11, 09:51 AM
I just broke my inner cv when my differential carrier arm broke. I had to buy an axle and cv setup from Hendrix engineering, which was expensive. GM charges a lot for the CV, they normally sell it with the axle.

Do yourself a favor, seriously, put an anti-wheel hop axle in there. You are lucky you did not break your differential. The cost to risk analysis on this upgrade easily justifies the price.

lollygagger8
09-21-11, 10:38 AM
I'll sell you my axle if you need it Jon, just let me know.

RippyPartsDept
09-21-11, 10:44 AM
$600 (list price) for new axles ... i sell them for $478

both the rebuild and used prices posted earlier sound really good

although don't most V owners prefer to get the anti-wheel hop axles? (g-force or hendrix, right?)

PISNUOFF
09-21-11, 01:39 PM
You still need to swap over your stock CV's to the aftermarket axles. Unless you buy the 1000 Hp race ones for $1900.

JDB
09-21-11, 02:45 PM
www.Raxles.com ? ?

Jon
09-21-11, 02:59 PM
Already had the Hendrix axle. Looks like it wasn't the CV, but the axle that broke. Removed the boot and took a look inside. What do you guys think?

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5384/photoljq.jpg

RippyPartsDept
09-21-11, 03:40 PM
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0212276D05-012.JPG

#21 is what i was quoting earlier

looks like #9 is what you're showing there...

i can't really tell what's wrong from that angle ... do you see anything broken?

PISNUOFF
09-21-11, 03:48 PM
The shaft is snapped. It is missing about an inch of splines.

Jon - Have you called Hendrix yet? Didn't you have a hell of a time getting that one from him or have it replaced once before? Oh I remember now, he sent you the WRONG one and claimed it was the correct one. Maybe you want to bite the bullet and get a set of Gforce axles. I would try to have that one replaced by Hendrix and sell it once it comes in. In fact, I had a Hendrix one and sold it for the two Gforce ones. It only ended up costing me an additional $250.

If you need a stock shaft in the mean time, I can send you one (if you don't still have your original). I have two stock driver side shafts laying in my basement.

BTW - I seriously doubt that the shaft would twist off like that at the snap ring groove if it was actually 300M material. Just sayin'.

Jon
09-21-11, 06:26 PM
The shaft is snapped. It is missing about an inch of splines.

Jon - Have you called Hendrix yet? Didn't you have a hell of a time getting that one from him or have it replaced once before? Oh I remember now, he sent you the WRONG one and claimed it was the correct one. Maybe you want to bite the bullet and get a set of Gforce axles. I would try to have that one replaced by Hendrix and sell it once it comes in. In fact, I had a Hendrix one and sold it for the two Gforce ones. It only ended up costing me an additional $250.

If you need a stock shaft in the mean time, I can send you one (if you don't still have your original). I have two stock driver side shafts laying in my basement.

BTW - I seriously doubt that the shaft would twist off like that at the snap ring groove if it was actually 300M material. Just sayin'.

I haven't called Hendrix. I never actually got the right part from him in the first place (his inner CV did not match my factory one and as a result sprayed oil all over the back of my car). I ended up having to re-use my factory CVs. I don't expect anything to do be done.

I guess I'll go the Gforce route. Gforce sells a passenger side axle for the '04-05. Looks like I'm going to have replace both? Ideally I'd just like to replace the driver side. I might have to buy an axle off of you so I can get the inner CV, since my broken axle is now stuck inside mine. God damn it.