: Opinions & thoughts on GM Major Guard for 09

jb_bgg
09-20-11, 02:33 PM
As my (currently) bone stock 09 is coming to the end of it's full factory warranty I'm considering a 3yr/36K miles Major Guard plan. The list of non-covered items is reasonably short and not too surprising. I'm curious how many other 09 owners will or have elected to extend the coverage on their cars vs. those that will let it lapse.

For previous V1 owners, any significant saves for those who extended coverage or significant expenses for those who did not?

Other thoughts and opinions welcomed; thank you!

JFJr
09-20-11, 03:16 PM
I bought approximately 2 years of Major Guard from a dealer in PA and saved over $600 vs. my local dealer's price. I also did that for my 2005 CTS-V and got my money's worth. The cost of accessories and
other parts (and labor) not covered by the powertrain warranty could be greater than the cost of the protection. However, this insurance is a profit center for GM, so unless you are adverse to risk or can get it at a substantial savings, you might roll the dice and go without it.

Jud

M5eater
09-20-11, 06:14 PM
I bought approximately 2 years of Major Guard from a dealer in PA and saved over $600 vs. my local dealer's price. I also did that for my 2005 CTS-V and got my money's worth. The cost of accessories and
other parts (and labor) not covered by the powertrain warranty could be greater than the cost of the protection. However, this insurance is a profit center for GM, so unless you are adverse to risk or can get it at a substantial savings, you might roll the dice and go without it.

Jud

+1, unless you can get this heavily discounted, the protection it offers is not worth it even in the slightest. I thought about this one too, but the list of protected items and conditions under which they are protected limits almost any payouts given that presumably the warranty kicks in after all the ''protected'' items have had time to develop problems if they're going to by then.

OldRoadDawg
09-20-11, 07:31 PM
I bought approximately 2 years of Major Guard from a dealer in PA and saved over $600 vs. my local dealer's price.
This is about the best priced one I've ever seen:
http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm