: Siezed Valve Stem Caps

lgldsr73
09-20-11, 10:13 AM
I do not know if it was GM that used these or the previous owner, but they put metal caps on the valve stems. One was seized and broke off in my hand to the tune of $85.00. Now, a second one is stuck. (I believe this is called 'galling'). In any event, is anyone aware of any solution that can be used to loosen this?

Thanks!

ddgm
09-20-11, 12:04 PM
There is a recent thread about this. I used a dremel tool and rotary disk to very carefully slit the valve cap lengthwise. I then replaced with plastic caps, which some people may not like, but it works for me.

Doug

lgldsr73
09-20-11, 12:09 PM
There is a recent thread about this. I used a dremel tool and rotary disk to very carefully slit the valve cap lenghtwise. I then replaced with plastic caps, which some people may not like, but it works for me.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I was wondering if it would come down to that. I don't even know if liquid wrench would work. Do you have a link to that thread?

Thanks again,

Lyman

ddgm
09-20-11, 02:37 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/240386-valve-stem-pressure-sensor-f.html

It's on page 2 near the top. There is also an earlier thread too.

Doug

Cadjiek
09-20-11, 03:44 PM
This seems to be an important topic that has just popped up within the last year. I found out about it year ago August when Discount Tire mounted my new tires. When I got home I noticed that they had replaced the original factory plastic chrome caps with black plastic caps. I went to the local parts store and picked up a set of metal chrome caps and put them on. When doing so I noticed that the tire store had incorrectly mounted one my directional tires backwards. When I went back to the tire store they asked me who put the metal caps on. I said I did because you took my original chrome caps. That's when they told me never mix the metal caps with the TPMS stems. They put new chrome plastic ones back on. (which they should have done in the first place). I'm sure there are alot of previous owners who have made the same mistake and the the new owner finds out when he needs new tires.

KRSTS
09-20-11, 03:58 PM
Do people ever check their tire pressure with a quality gage? Just wondering.:confused:

Cadjiek
09-20-11, 04:24 PM
Thats a good point. You would think they would discover a problem when checking their pressure. I think alot of people drive around with low pressures. If they are all equally low I don't think they would get a DIC warning. It makes you wonder. It's a regular routine for me.

lgldsr73
09-20-11, 09:20 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/240386-valve-stem-pressure-sensor-f.html

It's on page 2 near the top. There is also an earlier thread too.

Doug
Thanks Doug, will check it out.

Best,

Lyman

ffrcobra
09-20-11, 10:54 PM
Anytime you have two dis-similar metals in contact with each other you have the potential for galling. Aluminum is particularly bad. The solution is to use anti-seize compound between the surfaces. I use a small amount on steel spark plugs that go into aluminum heads, also on exhaust manifold bolts as well as steel spinners that are used hold pin drive aluminum wheels to the hub. Although it's overkill anti-seize works just fine on valve stems too. You can pick up copper based anti-seize at any auto parts store.

Bruce

EChas3
09-20-11, 11:42 PM
Around here, we have to add air as the weather cools.

orange57
09-21-11, 03:44 AM
some similar metals gall very easy, such as stainless steel on stainless steel. Where I work if we use that combination of fasteners we are required to lubricate the fasteners before installation. It's not an ideal situation to use that combination though.

lgldsr73
09-22-11, 09:54 AM
Okay...$125.00 later and the new sensor unit is installed. I cannot help but wonder if this design was part of the Group that developed DexCool. $125.00, an outrage. It would also have been nice had the dealership that put on the $1,500 in tires given me a heads-up about this cap issue. I'm angry, I really am. I have better ways to spend that kind of money than on, essentially, a cap for a valve stem that is connected to a sensor. All kidding aside, I may file in Small Claims, naming Akerson as the Respondent.

I was able to remove the other stuck cap using a 1/32" Bit, drilling some holes for a needle nose pliers and peeling the cap back and off.

Anyway...having vented (thank you for listening) what do I have to do to reset the CPU? The information display is still showing the old tire pressure. From what I understand the use of a magnet won't work on the 2005 STS. I've deflated and inflated the tire, no change. Still reads the old value.

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone.

Lyman

ddgm
09-22-11, 10:58 AM
Who ever installed the new pressure sensor should have reset the system for you. However there is a procedure outlined in the manual to do this yourself.

Doug

lgldsr73
09-22-11, 11:18 AM
Thanks again, Doug. He we buried with work and I can have him reset it at a later date. I looked in the manual but did not see it, albeit my Wife would tell you that's not all that uncommon, lol.

I'll check again.

Thanks!

ddgm
09-22-11, 02:36 PM
Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor info starts on page 5-60. Page 5-62 in the manual gives the procedure

Doug

EChas3
09-23-11, 12:34 AM
I don't understand the gripe...

You're responsible for your car, no-one else.

lgldsr73
09-23-11, 09:17 AM
Thanks Doug, I found it. Much appreciated!

Best,

Lyman

lgldsr73
10-04-11, 06:43 AM
I went to reset the TPM as outlined on page 5-64, but in Step #4 I am not getting the single horn chirp they speak of. ("Press the lock and unlock buttons, at the same time, on the Keyless Acces transmitter. A single horn chirp will sound"). Any thoughts? I am using the transmitter for Drive 1. Thank you!

lgldsr73
10-04-11, 06:45 AM
I don't understand the gripe...

You're responsible for your car, no-one else.
They used an alloy in that cap that essentially fuses to the stem. And that stupidity cost me $125.00.

Hence the gripe.

Greg00coupe
10-04-11, 08:36 PM
I believe if you have the GM covers they are aluminum and will not seize. What happens at least to me is got the tires rotated.....in the process they balanced the tires checked the air pressure. They throw and valve covers on....from their work area and I got 3 original and one non original which seized. original covers don't seize.

EChas3
10-04-11, 09:04 PM
They used an alloy in that cap that essentially fuses to the stem. And that stupidity cost me $125.00.

No, you had non-OEM parts. OEM caps are aluminum just like the stems. Curse the dealer, DPO, whoever as you wish but Cadillac didn't fail this one.