: '95 Fleetwood Brougham hesitates when placed in gear....

Tennesseestorm
09-19-11, 11:20 PM
Hi guys, I have a chance to purchase a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham with 180K. Car stated to be in VGC, but the owner says the car "hesitates" when placed in gear. Anyone have any clue as what the problem may be? I know its not alot to go on, but thats all I know at this point.

I used to have a 1995 GMC Suburban with the 5.7L that did this that turned out to be a sensor, but I think the 5.7L in the Fleetwood has a different fuel injection system.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Stingroo
09-19-11, 11:37 PM
The LT1 is totally different from your Suburban's 350. The Fleetwood has a Gen 2 block, and it's got its very own set of quirks and oddities.

Got any pics of the car? :)

P.S. Welcome to the forums! :welcomeJimmyH:

Tennesseestorm
09-19-11, 11:42 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking it was a different engine, the 5.7L engine in my '95 Suburban looked more like the engine in the '93 Fleetwood, but may have even been different from that one.

I am waiting on pics of the car, hopefully its not been sold. I will post them when/if I get them.

Thanks again!

Stingroo
09-19-11, 11:56 PM
If you're seriously shopping for one of these, don't be afraid to check the rest of the South. Clean ones are definitely out here. :thumbsup:

Tennesseestorm
09-20-11, 12:40 AM
Thanks... yeah, these are kinda hard to find locally. I found a '94, a nice one for $3600, but more than I want to pay right now for one. This '95 is local and popped up for $1000, so if I could get it and the issue be a minor one, that would be great. I had been wanting to trade my nice 1995 Lincoln Town Car for one, but I am starting a new position at my company that will require me driving about 60 miles per day on the freeway, so I think I want to keep my Town Car as a work car, as I get nearly 30 mpg on the highway in this Town Car. I have the change to trade it for a 1994 Fleetwood (non Brougham), but the owner wants $1000 in addition to my car and his car has 222K (mine has 190K) and his has dash cracks, dash corners chipped off, peeling paint on the hood and loose/worn interior trim on the interior B-pillars, so I am not really keen about swapping and adding $1000 in cash when my car is actually nicer in appearance. I would swap even, but dont think he will do that.

I will see how it goes, hopefully this local '95 will pan out.

Thanks again!

MoistCabbage
09-20-11, 03:10 AM
his has dash cracks, dash corners chipped off, peeling paint on the hood and loose/worn interior trim on the interior B-pillars Sounds like it's been beaten and neglected, I wouldn't even do an even swap.

Tennesseestorm
09-20-11, 12:46 PM
Yeah and the guy wants $1000 in on the deal and my car is nice!

IPOITRA
09-20-11, 04:14 PM
Transmission is a common GM 4L60e on 95 Fleetwood . Hesitation could be alot of things from low fluid to valve body to worn clutches?? I would make an offer low enough to cover overhauling the transmission . I would antisipate doing some work to it . Good news is that it is a very common transmission used in almost all light duty GM trucks and rwd cars .

Tennesseestorm
09-20-11, 07:49 PM
Transmission is a common GM 4L60e on 95 Fleetwood . Hesitation could be alot of things from low fluid to valve body to worn clutches?? I would make an offer low enough to cover overhauling the transmission . I would antisipate doing some work to it . Good news is that it is a very common transmission used in almost all light duty GM trucks and rwd cars .

Hi, yeah the guy with the '96 (I thought it was a 95, but its a 96), emailed and said its the transmission causing the hesitation, not the engine... here is his email:

"When I 1st bought it I noticed it did not want to pull out so I shifted to 1st and then 2nd, 3rd and when I got on the hwy I put it in drive. I called a few garages and they said it sounds more like the trans filter than the trans itself. I have to have it off my property by Sunday so I'll get those pics to you today. I thought it was just where it sit in a garage for almost 4 years without being started but now I don't know. The interior needs to be shampooed but the carpet & seats are in good condition/no tears. The dash is cracked, i'm guessing from the heat exposure in FL. The exterior has minor damage on the driver's side rear panel but not like a huge dent or anything. I'll send pics of everything i'm telling you. The car's engine is strong... tested that coming up the mountain... the thing will fly. I'd love to keep it but at the moment I can't. Thanks"

He is asking $1000. obo, but after I bought it, I would not have the $ for a tranny rebuild. I didnt know that tranny issues were common on these cars and I bet this one is just shot. I think I will just wait until I get some cash and get me a nice one. (my dad said he will buy me a nice car when his retirement starts soon), that may be the best thing.

Thanks again!