: Front end and wheel problems.

The-Dullahan
09-19-11, 03:01 PM
So this theoretically stems from that time about a month ago when I had to jump a curb to avoid killing a guy who was in my lane, horizontally and at a dead stop, whom if I HAD hit, he would have definitely been killed by the various Semi trucks travelling 65 mph that I would have bounced him into. I did the nice thing and had to slam my brakes and swerve over two lanes to the right, which really was not a lane at all, but over a high curb, across a sidewalk and over the grass.

Today, while trying to get my front wheels balanced, as they needed it, I ended up needing new tyres, because the old ones each had a big bald patch from slamming my brakes at some time. I wonder when that happened...

I also learned that my front passenger wheel is dented, obviously from hitting the curb. Not sure WTH I am going to do about that...

They also tell me that I need new bearings, a new idler and assorted other fun adding up to around $1100.

Moral of the story,. Never be nice. If someone jumps in front of you, grip the steering wheel firmly and floor the gas pedal. F**K 'EM.

Wire Wheels > Civilian Lives.

turbojimmy
09-19-11, 03:19 PM
Moral of the story,. Never be nice. If someone jumps in front of you, grip the steering wheel firmly and floor the gas pedal. F**K 'EM.

I did that once. Just once. Car blew a YIELD sign directly in front of me. I could have cut hard to the right, up an embankment and probably would have rolled my DTS. Instead, I stayed the course and braked hard. The impact slammed the offender, in a late-model Explorer, into another car. Turns out the Explorer was an unmarked police car driven by the Chief. Despite blatantly blowing the traffic control device (the YIELD sign), somehow I was still at fault. Go figure.

I got a face full of airbag and glass, and totaled my DTS. I didn't have collision on it because it was a rebuilt total. The lady the Chief hit sued me, as did the town. I counter-sued and it's still in the courts. Next time I might go for that embankment and roll it.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_demise.jpg

CADforce69
09-19-11, 04:04 PM
Sad stories... I think at these moments there is no time to think about what is more convenient for you, possible consequences, etc. You just act instinctively based on the images you see then. You just think of saving your life or health and damage your vehicle as least as possible. Unfortunately, when we drive our car we are exposed to the mistakes of a lot of people + our own mistakes. Itīs part of driving and itīs a price to pay for it. Thatīs why I keep a comprehensive coverage on my daily driverīs insurance policy though itīs 12 years old. When you drive habitually in / around a big city you have frequent and unpleasant surprises.:annoyed:

turbojimmy
09-19-11, 04:17 PM
I think at these moments there is no time to think about what is more convenient for you, possible consequences, etc. You just act instinctively based on the images you see then.

True. I'm half joking when I say I actually made a decision. There was no time. The truck appeared in front of me and in the blink of an eye I was staring at a deployed airbag. The horn was blaring. I got out of the car and the horns, normally tucked up behind the fender, were conveniently exposed. I unplugged them. I asked the other guy if he had called the police. He said "I AM the police". It went downhill from there.

I don't have comp/collision on my '94. As awful as it sounds, it's pretty much disposable. I took a $10k beating on that totaled DTS, which was my own stupidity trying to save $700 a year. My attorney is still optimistic that I'll win the case - it hasn't actually been heard by a judge and jury yet. It's pretty cut and dry to everyone but the cops involved.

Back on topic, I'd trade a bent rim and some alignment issues for the BS I've gone through as a result of actually hitting someone. Though, I do play chicken regularly with fools that want to put themselves in front of the Bigwood or my F150. Driving in NJ is a blood sport. You win some, you lose some.

brougham
09-19-11, 06:06 PM
That sucks. It seems like that's always the case when cops are involved. A few years ago someone i know had an accident while on vacation. An off-duty police officer ran a stop sign without even trying to slow down and nailed them totaling both cars. Even witnesses said it was the officer's fault yet he got away free while the person he hit got a fist full of tickets.
I have full coverage on my cars.

turbojimmy
09-19-11, 06:17 PM
That sucks. It seems like that's always the case when cops are involved.

Yeah, it would be nice to win my suit as a matter of principle. I'm over the financial loss. Some of my best friends are cops, but this was really a raw deal. I haven't looked at that pic in a while. Damn I miss that car. Sorry, but that DTS was the best Cadillac I've owned. It had EVERYTHING. But the limos have been fun, in a different sort of way.

CADforce69
09-19-11, 07:31 PM
That sucks. It seems like that's always the case when cops are involved.

Itīs funny. That reminds me what happened here in pre-democratic times... But of course you could not suit cops.

csbuckn
09-19-11, 08:08 PM
Dullahan, you should do all that work yourself, or somebody you know. Its pretty easy, then take it to get an alignment. Idler arm is real easy, its three bolts and you probably wont need an alignment.

sven914
09-19-11, 08:10 PM
I almost hit a pedestrian a few weeks a go. The douche ran out in front of me, on a blind curve, about a hundred feet from a clearly marked crosswalk. I just laid on the horn and mashed the gas; I'm sure he got across safely.

The-Dullahan
09-19-11, 09:03 PM
Dullahan, you should do all that work yourself, or somebody you know. Its pretty easy, then take it to get an alignment. Idler arm is real easy, its three bolts and you probably wont need an alignment.

Oh, I know. That was already my plan. I only went in for that today, because though I can fabricate everything from custom armour to animatronic skeletons, I have not yet managed to develop the ability to manufacture tyres.

They even gave me a convenient list of the parts [they claim] I need. The thing about the bent wheel kind of pisses me off, but I know a place that I believe can help with that.

The-Dullahan
09-19-11, 09:06 PM
I almost hit a pedestrian a few weeks a go. The douche ran out in front of me, on a blind curve, about a hundred feet from a clearly marked crosswalk. I just laid on the horn and mashed the gas; I'm sure he got across safely.

No streetlamps at my neighbourhood. People run across the street in solid black clothes at midnight every day. Actually, even though there is a sidewalk, the refuse to use it and just plain walk up the street. One time I passed someone at around 10MPH with ten feet between myself and the guy and he yelled "Hey man, SLOW DOWN"

I stopped the car to ask him if he saw the sidewalk I PAID to have built for him, but he took off when I stopped the car. Everyone walking in that area comes from a fairly ghetto set of apartments and usually have a reason to run when a car stops. Interestingly, nothing I drive looks remotely like a cop car...