: So much for buying a sleeper...

FLTRI
09-19-11, 01:16 PM
One of the things that attracted me to the V-Wagon was the "Sleeper Factor". I 've had a bevy of Corvettes, including a ZR-1, and was ready for a car that was fast, but didn't look fast. Something to fly low, and under the radar with, so to speak. The Vagon seemed like the perfect car for that mission...

We took it on it's inaugural trip from Las Vegas to Williams, AZ. Williams is small town just south of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, and a few hundred miles away. Mostly two lane roads, and if you take old Route 66, you can avoid freeways for the most part.

On the way there, we turned off of US-95 onto SR-163. It's a 16 or so mile stretch that runs into Laughlin, NV. As I made the turn, I had a new Camero in front of me. He pulls into the left lane, and and is cruising about 60 in the 65 zone. There's really no traffic, so I roll the Vagon up to 70, set the cruise, and slowly start past him on the right. As I get even with him, he matches my speed. Three seconds later, he hammers the Camero...

I left it the Vagon in Drive, and pressed on the right pedal.

Camero lost.
Soundly.
Three times...

When we roll into Laughlin, he gives me a big grin and an excited wave.

Half an hour later, we're coming out of Kingman, AZ, and and two 20-something guys in a beat to crap 30 year old Chevy pick up pass us. The passenger sticks his hand out of the window, makes a peace sign (a V sign) and then gives us a huge thumbs up...

So much for flying under the radar...:bigroll:

mother
09-19-11, 01:45 PM
You can thank American Chopper and Top Gear USA for that...

thebigjimsho
09-19-11, 03:03 PM
How about Cadillac itself? How many V commercials are there now?

M5eater
09-19-11, 05:10 PM
forty seven.

Razorecko
09-19-11, 05:25 PM
Yep. My V was a total sleeper in 09 and a part of '10. Until the commercials started rolling out

mannyz
09-19-11, 05:41 PM
Well, here in the UK its still a sleeper that "cant handle" :)

readyact
09-19-11, 05:55 PM
Yes the jig is up. I took possession of my V in December 08 and all of 2009 people would ask me if that is the Cadillac with the Corvette engine in it or say that's a different looking CTS. Early 2010 I started noticing people would come up and say that's a CTS-V, right?

RippyPartsDept
09-19-11, 06:37 PM
don't worry, FLTRI, you've just run up on some people who are in the know... there's still tons oblivious to the Vs ... especially the Vagon ... give it some time

M5eater
09-19-11, 06:52 PM
don't worry, FLTRI, you've just run up on some people who are in the know... there's still tons oblivious to the Vs ... especially the Vagon ... give it some time
+1, I don't know why, but the proportions for the Vagon's exhaust tips make them look small for some reason, the perfect ploy if you ask me.

CIWS
09-19-11, 06:55 PM
Take those :v: logos off and only those that know the body differences will be able to tell. (Personally I wouldn't though)

In my mind I drive a sleeper now. It's certainly no V wagon, but it surprises those that thinks it's normal. :D

warpark
09-19-11, 07:13 PM
My next door neighbor came over in his new california about a month ago.

I got my V-coupe about 3 weeks ago.

I doubt he's seen it yet.

I'm lovin' the commercials... and just waiting for the right saturday...

M5eater
09-19-11, 07:18 PM
Take those :v: logos off and only those that know the body differences will be able to tell. (Personally I wouldn't though)

In my mind I drive a sleeper now. It's certainly no V wagon, but it surprises those that thinks it's normal. :D
Body, rims, calipers(hard to miss those when they're yellow), sometimes paint, tips, tire width... there are a lot of changes between a CTS and CTS-V.

CIWS
09-19-11, 09:05 PM
You are a performance person much less a V owner, so you know what to look for and probably do when you see one.

I actually had some dude in a truck one time start arguing with me at a light that I was driving a CTS-V when I was in my STS-V. There's a bunch of folks out there that know badging and not specifics.

Squirlz
09-19-11, 10:21 PM
Did a 550 mile three-night trip to Traverse City MI to cruise the lakeside twisties in our new wagon. Had quite a few admiring stares but no challenges. Darn it.

brlong23
09-20-11, 06:29 AM
Took a trip with the wife from D.C. down to Alabama to visit her family about 2 months ago. I was excited because it was the first long trip I'd be taking the V on and figured I'd get a couple challenges along the way. Well for the first 700 miles of the 750 mile trip...NOTHING! I was seriously becoming disapointed in the lack of fun I was having only going 85 by myself...but then it happened.

As I entered the homestretch just outside of Huntsville, AL, on an open section of highway, I had a 18-22 year old and his friend in a supped up Acura Integra come flying up behind me at about 100 mph. I was just cruising in 6th gear at about 75 mph (in a 60) and he was going so fast that I was just going to let him pass me. But noooooooo, he comes up on me, flashes his lights and hits his horn as to say, "Get that slow ass Cadillac out of my way." So being the gentlemen that I am, I turn on my turn signal, move over into the middle lane, slow down to 65 and drop it into 4th gear. As Mario Andretti and co-pilot pull up beside me, they look at the V, smile and mash their gas. As their Acura lets out the ricer whine, I turned to my wife and she started laughing, as if to say, "Well go ahead because you were going to do it anyways." So I eased on the gas enough to quickly close on them and pull up beside them. It's obvious that he's giving it all it's got and at this point, we're doing about 85, and so I look over at them, smile, waved goodbye and then floored it. I finally shifted into 5th at 105 mph and started to brake at 130 as I approached the traffic ahead of me which I closed on much faster than I anticipated. The kids finally caught back up and pulled along side my wife and I and when I looked over at them, I saw a look that mixed astonishment and downright amazement. They both smiled at me, gave me thumbs up and then continued on their way.

It only took me 700 miles of our trip...but it was worth it!

M5eater
09-20-11, 09:12 AM
You are a performance person much less a V owner, so you know what to look for and probably do when you see one.

I actually had some dude in a truck one time start arguing with me at a light that I was driving a CTS-V when I was in my STS-V. There's a bunch of folks out there that know badging and not specifics.

True, I see your point.

SoCalCTSV
09-20-11, 10:29 AM
I had some kid argue that my small block 350 in my 66 Chevelle was really a 396 cause of how it sounded. I don't argue with idiots.

shchow
09-20-11, 10:39 AM
Still pretty much a sleeper.
I've had my sedan since May 2010 and have had only 2 challenges. Any guesses on the make/model of the eventual losers?

E46 M3 and debadged G35/37...the usual suspects...

M5eater
09-20-11, 10:58 AM
Still pretty much a sleeper.
I've had my sedan since May 2010 and have had only 2 challenges. Any guesses on the make/model of the eventual losers?

E46 M3 and debadged G35/37...the usual suspects...

The closest I've been to a E90 on the street was in a parking lot.

There was the encounter with the M6, but it was a lady driver. She was more interested in her Jersey Shore tan and cell phone than driving.

mannyz
09-20-11, 11:34 AM
I ran into an M5 on the British M11 and the guy was not having it...But then a Ferrari 360 got a nice surprise.

RippyPartsDept
09-20-11, 11:40 AM
don't argue with idiots.
words to live by

brlong23
09-21-11, 05:37 AM
You have to love those Infiniti drivers who forget they're driving an Infiniti :)

warpark
09-21-11, 07:05 AM
You have to love those Infiniti drivers who forget they're driving an Infiniti :)

lol-

thebigjimsho
09-21-11, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I got challenged in my '04 all the time. I get some in my '09, but it's usually by much lesser cars whose owners just want to see me go...

undertaker
09-22-11, 02:11 PM

You mean a nissan? They aren't horrible, buddy had a G37x sedan, was faster than the 3.6 CTS....at least when you're comparing engines missing 2 cylinders...

shchow
09-22-11, 03:57 PM
You mean a nissan? They aren't horrible, buddy had a G37x sedan, was faster than the 3.6 CTS....at least when you're comparing engines missing 2 cylinders...

They are pretty nice cars.
But my experience with these cars are that the drivers are asshats for the most part.
They think that they are enthusiasts but don't know nearly enough as say, an Evo driver.
They lack courtesy or respect on the road, and are dangerous.
Disclaimer...I know that this is a broad generalization, and I don't mean to paint all with the same brush.

Marylandspeed
09-23-11, 04:19 AM
I have learned there is nothing "sleeper" about these cars...haha!

Wannago
09-23-11, 02:05 PM
I don't argue with idiots.

Agreed. They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

Titaniumseeker
10-02-11, 01:56 PM
They are pretty nice cars.
But my experience with these cars are that the drivers are asshats for the most part.
They think that they are enthusiasts but don't know nearly enough as say, an Evo driver.
They lack courtesy or respect on the road, and are dangerous.
Disclaimer...I know that this is a broad generalization, and I don't mean to paint all with the same brush.

Hummmm. That description sounds more like a Saturn driver. ;-)

translux
10-02-11, 04:31 PM
You guys think you have problems, I live on the South Side of Chicago and I might as well be a super hero.
I come out of stores and a there is always someone checking out the car.
My favorite line " that things got a stick?, get the phuck out here"
i guess its better then getting the one finger waves as I did in my BMW's. ;)

Razorecko
10-02-11, 10:47 PM
You guys think you have problems, I live on the South Side of Chicago and I might as well be a super hero.
I come out of stores and a there is always someone checking out the car.
My favorite line " that things got a stick?, get the phuck out here"
i guess its better then getting the one finger waves as I did in my BMW's. ;)

lol, must be a chicago thing because I get the "holy sh*t is that a stick ?" comment all the time

deckofficer
10-03-11, 01:36 PM
My best sleeper story was when I WASN'T in my V and got challanged by someone else in their V. Since I was aware of the potential of the V, when it was time to open up, I did. Normally I would just roll on some throttle in what ever gear I was in and that would end the race, but this time I'm going against a V. This happened eastbound hwy 50 going over the Sierras in one of the few and far between passing lanes. Like I said, if it would have been most any car other than a V, I would have stayed in 5th at 1400 rpm and just rolled on some throttle, but going up against a V, that wasn't going to work. Shifted to 3rd at 60 mph and 2900 rpm as we both reach the passing lane (I love nailing it in 3rd because of no wheel spin), hammer down. The V fell back, and the gap widened at such a quick rate, I decided to get off the throttle for my shift to 4th at just a tad over 100 mph, then dropped it into 5th, still throttle off and now just 2300 rpm at 95 mph. From that point on, the V driver had no problem with me leading the way in future passing lanes all the way to Tahoe. I pulled into a gas station in Meyers and he pulled in also. We had a great chat when he found out I also have a V.

Because of my full engine cover and my exhaust being quiet and tucked up under the car, folks assume that the only engine that could fit under the cover is a 2.3 L Pinto 4 banger. At 1790 lbs, 5 speed stick, and 516 lb/ft of torque, my other ride is a SLEEPER. Note the small bulge in the side cover to allow the Ram's Horn manifold to clear the cover.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC011981014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC012051014x760.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/DSC011961014x760.jpg

sfvagon
10-03-11, 09:47 PM
Not that I'm really complaining, but I've got to agree the V-Wagon isn't exactly a sleeper ... I've never owned/driven a car before where someone in a 911, or a 1970's Mach 1, Tesla Roadster (or any car for that matter) would pull up next to me while cruising on the freeway and wave/thumbs-up. ;)