: Update on my wheel noise.

CaddyShack03
10-27-04, 02:17 PM
I am pretty new to the forum, about 3 weeks. I just wanted to say that everyone here seems to be a great help with any of the postings I have seen including my own. About 10 days ago I put up a thread about my truck making a winding noise from the front end. I immediately thought my wheel bearings where worn from having 24" wheels. But after taking the wheels off and looking at them, they were in great shape so I brought my truck into the dealer. Just so happens that my front end differential was shot and the service tech made it pretty clear it was due to the size of the wheels. They suggest that 22" wheels are the biggest you should go and for obvious reasons. I put my stocks set on for the winter but dont think I am going to go back to the 24's this spring. :helpless:

T_Dogg8
10-27-04, 02:48 PM
that sucks. never heard of that before. that's one reason i haven't upgraded yet. your issue probably has nothing to do with the wheels (i'm thinking if it did, more people here would be complaining about it) but you can't prove it, so you're screwed. did you have to pay for the front diff.?

hcvone
10-27-04, 04:42 PM
I had a guy here for Zaino this morning that just had his 04' Escalade's front differential replaced after 22k miles, he had 26's that the dealer installed, and his dealer told him to get rid of the 26's because they will not pay for another differential (they did offer to switch him to 22's at no cost) he told me he will take them to court if it happens again.

CaddyShack03
10-27-04, 04:47 PM
T-Dogg

It definitely had something to do with the wheels. The dealer told me that they have replaced the differentials on quite a few escalades due to the wheels. Very rarely replace them for any other reason according to the service tech, who was actually a good guy and very straight up.

Jungle George
10-28-04, 12:29 AM
I had a guy here for Zaino this morning that just had his 04' Escalade's front differential replaced after 22k miles, he had 26's that the dealer installed, and his dealer told him to get rid of the 26's because they will not pay for another differential (they did offer to switch him to 22's at no cost) he told me he will take them to court if it happens again.

Cadillac will not warranty any problems with wheels over the stock wheels, if the dealer fixes it for you it's beacuse they 1. either they sold you the car with the optional wheels, 2. they value you aas a customer.

But if they follow the letter of the warranty (read the booklet) .......

T_Dogg8
10-28-04, 08:37 AM
i don't doubt you. i'm just surprised i haven't heard anyone else complaining about that too, considering how many people on here have huge wheels.

CaddyShack03
10-28-04, 10:45 AM
I hear you, but the noise is very faint and progressively gets louder. Hopefully not too many people will have this problem because it is extremely expensive to fix.

cajunairman
01-20-05, 05:55 PM
Here's one for yall. I'm usually posting and lurking under the CTS-V stuff but my wife's '02 Escalade has stock 17" wheels, 40K miles and it started making the grinding noise you are explaining. They replaced the LF wheel bearings and it's still making the noise but it's only 10% as noisy as it was before. I even rotated the tires front to back in case it cupped the tire but the noise is still there. This noise is very similar to when you change gears and go with a harder metal, causing a pulsing vibrating yown-yown-yown sound. What confuses me is that after they changed the wheel bearings, the noise isn't completely gone. Also, the noise doesn't get louder or softer while cornering, which it did before. I knew that test already. Has anyone on the list reported a front diff failure that didn't change the wheels out?

Thanks,

Sycosis
01-20-05, 10:43 PM
Here's one for yall. I'm usually posting and lurking under the CTS-V stuff but my wife's '02 Escalade has stock 17" wheels, 40K miles and it started making the grinding noise you are explaining. They replaced the LF wheel bearings and it's still making the noise but it's only 10% as noisy as it was before. I even rotated the tires front to back in case it cupped the tire but the noise is still there. This noise is very similar to when you change gears and go with a harder metal, causing a pulsing vibrating yown-yown-yown sound. What confuses me is that after they changed the wheel bearings, the noise isn't completely gone. Also, the noise doesn't get louder or softer while cornering, which it did before. I knew that test already. Has anyone on the list reported a front diff failure that didn't change the wheels out?

Thanks,

If it's awd I would check the front prop shaft.