: Cracked Oil Pan. Best way to proceed?

sciroccokid
09-17-11, 10:30 PM
It looks like the tow truck company cracked my oil pan (probably from whipping the the chains under the car). In any case it leaked about a 1/4 quart per day while parked in the driveway. My temporary fix is JB Weld. So far, no leaks after driving around and I think it going to last.

Has anyone else had success using JB Weld on a cracked oil pan?
Has anyone welded an oil pan?
Has anyone put a new oil pan in without pulling the motor?

darkman
09-17-11, 11:42 PM
I don't think it can be repaired, but I could be wrong.

The part is about $250 and the standard labor allowance is 9.9 hours, the cost of having a shop replace the oil pan is not going to be cheap.

If you have comprehensive insurance it might cover it (subject to your deductible) since the most likely cause of a cracked oil pan is a collision of some sort. The insurance company might also pursue getting their money back from the towing company if the facts support that scenario.

See attached.

CadzillaTN
09-17-11, 11:42 PM
Dang. Hate to hear that, especially after the diff issues you just had.

I'd look allll over the net, you may score a used oil pan cheap. Not sure if theres another ones thats interchangeable?

As far as the jb, I'd watch that fluid level and put a pan of cat litter or oil dry under it when parked, just in case. It may hold but I wouldn't rock it long term. Welding might work. Again, net is your friend. Someone, somewhere, has cracked their oil pan and patched it up.

Edit;
Theres a thread on ls1tech from april about this.

Looks like ls1 might fit too. All the replacement pans swarm to list ls1 ls4 ls6... First search for used..

Also looks like you can probably take it off and get it welded. Might be a pita, but thats your cheapest route.

CadzillaTN
09-17-11, 11:55 PM
The part is about $250 and the standard labor allowance is 9.9 hours, the cost of having a shop replace the oil pan is not going to be cheap.

Wow!

Time to burn a few vacation days lol.

darkman
09-18-11, 12:15 AM
I show a part number of 12598152. Using google I found it for roughly half of the MRSP.

jmpumford
09-18-11, 05:17 AM
Has anyone put a new oil pan in without pulling the motor?

I wouldn't think you could do this. When I did my H/C, I dropped the pan a bit so I could get at the oil pump pick up tube and there was not a lot of room around there. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Even if I am, I'm thinking you should just pull the motor and slap on a new one. You could always change out some other things while the motor is out.

Naf
09-18-11, 07:30 AM
You will have to get the new Oil pan for the new V, cut the bungs off for their oil cooler and it will fit right in there...

Dont play with the oil pan, its cracked once which means it will crack again. Buy a new one, get a new gasket and call it day. You may have to raise te engine about an inch to get the oil pan off of the car...

Hire a Cherry picker, its safe and will do the job..If you have the old motor mounts NOW would be perfect excuse to change them...

HAVE FUN!!!

AAIIIC
09-18-11, 11:42 AM
You will have to get the new Oil pan for the new V, cut the bungs off for their oil cooler and it will fit right in there...
So rather than buying the correct part (which darkman has already posted the part number for), he should buy the wrong part and cut pieces of it off so he can use it? :confused:

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 11:48 AM
Insurance sounds like a good route, just got to get them to pony up.

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 11:50 AM
I know some great welders, just don't want the oil on the inside of the pan to catch on fire...

Sounds like a pragmatic solution if insurance won't pony up.

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 11:52 AM
Yup, I will look at my other options but this is likely the route I will take.

Dont play with the oil pan, its cracked once which means it will crack again. Buy a new one, get a new gasket and call it day. You may have to raise te engine about an inch to get the oil pan off of the car...

Hire a Cherry picker, its safe and will do the job..If you have the old motor mounts NOW would be perfect excuse to change them...

HAVE FUN!!!

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 11:54 AM
Is there a benefit to buying an oil pan for a new V?

Have you taken the oil pan out from the bottom without lifting the engine?

So rather than buying the correct part (which darkman has already posted the part number for), he should buy the wrong part and cut pieces of it off so he can use it? :confused:

ctsv154
09-18-11, 01:12 PM
And why cant it be welded? Its just aluminum? It would have to come off the car and be cleaned but there is absolutely no reason this could not be welded up with a good AC TIG.

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 01:15 PM
It could be welded but removing it from the car requires pulling the engine (I think). So, at that point you may as well just swap it out (the pan is not expensive). Welding it while it is on the car would save money.

And why cant it be welded? Its just aluminum? It would have to come off the car and be cleaned but there is absolutely no reason this could not be welded up with a good AC TIG.

MO POWA!
09-18-11, 03:05 PM
I would hold the engine in place from the top using an engine hoist. Then undo the top of the struts at the strut towers and lower the entire cradle. You should be able to get to the pan from the bottom with out pulling the entire motor out.

sciroccokid
09-18-11, 03:24 PM
good to know, thanks.

I would hold the engine in place from the top using an engine hoist. Then undo the top of the struts at the strut towers and lower the entire cradle. You should be able to get to the pan from the bottom with out pulling the entire motor out.

darkman
09-18-11, 04:39 PM
good to know, thanks.

The engine hoist is shown in the PDF that I attached.