: Base STS supercharging?

aliskerov
09-17-11, 05:20 PM
Okay, so the new to me STS is a damn fast car. However, being a mod man myself, ive been wanting to do add some bolt ons for more power. Having done some research, i know that the exhaust systems are basically for sound only, the volant intake makes little to no power ( i cant believe this, but the owners know best), i havent found any headers or chips for the car. The knly thing i left is FI. Now, a turbo would mean a custom exhaust and alot of hastle. So, how about a vortec supercharger? Driven by belt, the geared SC mounts on like an alternator would. They dont have an official STS mount or belt, but im sure i can make a mount and have a mechanic help me find an appropriate accessory belt length. Intake tubing shouldnt be a big issue.

Question is - will the engine and tranny take the abuse? I know the sts-v has a reduced bore to strengthen the block and headgasket. However it seems that that car runs 10-12 psi of boost. Im sure a vortech with 5-7 psi could yield an extra 80 hp or so. No? How about the trannies. Ive heard these trannies are made by BMW and are pretty tough (with 50k mile fluid changing). Do the sts-v versions sport the same tranny?

Tell me what you guys think about this, cause i dont think its that far-fetched. Also, are there any performance mods im overlooking? And lastly, is the volant really worthless performance wise? (my stepfathers chrysler 300C gained about 25 hp from an intake - he swears it makes a huge difference - figured all V8s would benefit in a similar maner)

dkozloski
09-17-11, 06:02 PM
Trade for an STS-V. Any supercharger effort is going to come head to head with the ECM and it will lose.

Subsailor613
09-19-11, 02:46 PM
Technically speaking, the 2005 PCM (ECM) is NOT supported by anybody, and would be a hindrance.
I think the 2008 and above are supported, by electronic meters etc to help you get more horsepower etc.
I have searched the web , and auto stores for headers, and along the way other improvements,
they are NOT available, unless you come across something ! I also thought about doing this, and gave it up !
Back in the day, cars without PCM's would definitely benefit from this change, I remember those days.......
Have fun, Good Luck.:cool2::cool2::cool2:

rics8
09-22-11, 10:44 AM
they have it foe the camaro 3.6

aliskerov
10-24-11, 01:24 PM
Since the stsv engine is the same engine with a smaller displacement, would any intakes or headers made for it fit a regular v8?

concorso
10-24-11, 01:36 PM
How about the trannies. Ive heard these trannies are made by BMW and are pretty tough (with 50k mile fluid changing). Do the sts-v versions sport the same tranny?Heard from who, BMW fanboys? GM builds the trans, not BMW. BMW buys it from GM (5L40-e) to put in late90's-early 2000's 5 and 3 series... The STS-V does not have the same transmission. Why would GM outsource an automatic transmission? Jeez, Rolls Royce used GM transmissions up until the Phantom.

EChas3
10-24-11, 07:41 PM
Since the stsv engine is the same engine with a smaller displacement, would any intakes or headers made for it fit a regular v8?

The STS-V Northstar is very different from the 'base' 4.6l version. It would probably be cheaper (and more powerful... and more reliable... and more driveable) to just sell your car & buy a V.

rics8
10-25-11, 12:22 PM
d3 has it already

TimmyC
11-01-11, 10:50 PM
d3 has it already

Has what?

I don't think there is room for a centrifugal supercharger and the computer in the 05 and 06 is not tuneable. The 07+ V8s and 06+ Vs have a more standard computer that is supported by hptuners and efilive.

aliskerov
11-17-11, 07:29 PM
Are the V and non-V computers at all interchangeable or are the 2 systems different? How about a 2008-up computer swap for 2005-2007? I'm not a clueless wishful guy, as you may think, I simply want to help the community figure out how to upgrade our base STSs as aftremarket seems to have missed this car. If the computers could be swapped (I can see how the V comp is different, but the 2008-up should be similar) then the car could be tuned and possibly supercharged under low pressure for a boost in performance. Even if not, if the fuel maps, tranny settings, and air intake can be at all altered with the newer computer some valuable power could be recovered. Also, as a side note, has anyone looked into boring out the throttle body or upgrading the mass air flow sensor? Throttle body spacers?

EChas3
11-18-11, 08:28 PM
The Engine Control Modules are not interchangable, nor have early ones even been cracked. The STS engineers left little (or no) 'low hanging fruit' for tuners. If you like the STS, shop for the one with the features you want, apply the wheels/accessories you like and enjoy.

If you want a car to mod, I'd recommend something else.

aliskerov
11-19-11, 11:30 PM
god damnit....I love the car but I also love tuning, and it kills me to have a car I can't mod performance-wise. I used to tear the sound systems out of my cars too, but the Bose is treating me well and I'm a bit nervous about taking apart an interior of a luxury sedan. Recently got into a fender bender and needed a new hood and bumper, so I'm upgrading the grill and slapping an STS-V hood on it, which would take care of the body styling. New rims in the spring will take care of the wheels. If only I could get my hands on some performance mods this car would be sittin pretty. Would D3 sts-V headers fit the base model? And do the Volant intakes really make no performance gains?

TimmyC
11-20-11, 03:20 PM
god damnit....I love the car but I also love tuning, and it kills me to have a car I can't mod performance-wise. I used to tear the sound systems out of my cars too, but the Bose is treating me well and I'm a bit nervous about taking apart an interior of a luxury sedan. Recently got into a fender bender and needed a new hood and bumper, so I'm upgrading the grill and slapping an STS-V hood on it, which would take care of the body styling. New rims in the spring will take care of the wheels. If only I could get my hands on some performance mods this car would be sittin pretty. Would D3 sts-V headers fit the base model? And do the Volant intakes really make no performance gains?

The 2006+ STS-V and 2007-2010 V8 computers are the same with different calibrations. Wiring harnesses are different between this computer and the old one so a swap is not going to happen.

A throttle body spacer will yield near zero gains, same for a maf replacement. Neither will be worth it. D3 says they make STS-V headers and they would work on an STS with some minor mods to the rest of the exhaust, but they are $2500+ and I don't think they actually made any for customers.

I've seen one 05-06 V8 STS with a rear mount turbo kit on it that used a meth kit to add fueling in boost. I have a turbo kit for sale in the STS-V section, you'd just have to tune the meth system. I think you could make 400 rwhp pretty easy like that. I'd buy your stock exhaust manifolds and give you a discount for using your stock intake too.