: Compass - Still showing "CAL"

classiccars
09-17-11, 12:53 PM
New 2012 150 Miles: The compass is still showing "CAL". (Calibrate) The owner's manual states that you need to drive around for a while so the GPS satillite can locate your position. That's fine, but the vehicle has been driven "Around" for 150 miles now. Is this normal?

smiley47
09-17-11, 01:09 PM
Check your manual but as I recall when they say "drive around" they mean literally drive in full circles 3 or 4 times. Go to an empty parking lot and try that in calibrate mode. Sounds weird but it gets the job done.

classiccars
09-17-11, 01:44 PM
I also heard of driving in circles to calibrate the compass. (Older models) I should have not used the word "Around" in my description.
Here is what the manual states:
" When the compass display shows CAL, drive the vehicle for a short distance in an open area where it can receive a GPS signal. The compass system will automatically determine when a GPS signal is restored and provide a heading again. "

sube5186
09-17-11, 02:04 PM
This doesn't sound right. My car had 34 miles on it when I bought it and it was already calibrated. 150 miles should be more than enough to calibrate the GPS.

Sube

smiley47
09-17-11, 03:41 PM
I also heard of driving in circles to calibrate the compass. (Older models) I should have not used the word "Around" in my description.
Here is what the manual states:
" When the compass display shows CAL, drive the vehicle for a short distance in an open area where it can receive a GPS signal. The compass system will automatically determine when a GPS signal is restored and provide a heading again. "

Sorry, it's my 2010 Escalade manual that says "Drive the vehicle in tight circles at less than 5 mph (8km/h) to complete the calibration". I knew I had seen that somewhere.

99ssconv
09-17-11, 09:05 PM
#PIC5159D: Compass Calibration - (Aug 2, 2011)

Subject:

Compass Calibration

Models:

2010 - 2012 Buick LaCrosse

2011 - 2012 Buick Regal 2012 Buick Verano

2010 - 2012 Cadillac SRX

2011 - 2012 Chevrolet Cruze

2012 Chevrolet Orlando

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

2010 - 2012 Chevrolet Camaro, Equinox

2010 - 2012 GMC Terrain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This PI was superseded to update model year and add additional models . Please discard PIC5159D.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Customers may comment that the compass in the DIC displays CAL or dashes (- - -).

Recommendation/Instructions:

The compass receives its heading and other information from all the following modules:

OnStar Module (VCIM) - Global Positioning System (GPS) data

EBCM - Stabilitrak and Yaw Sensor data.

ECM - Vehicle speed data.

If any one of these modules lose communication or if the inputs used to calculate compass data is lost, CAL or -- will display on the DIC. If the vehicle is driven without a GPS Signal (i.e. in a parking deck, tunnel, or something covering the GPS antenna that blocks the signal) for more than 5 miles or for more than 2700 total Degrees of Turn (approx. 8 circles), only CAL will display. CAL means the compass system is CALIBRATING and this is normal operation.

When CAL or -- is displayed, drive the vehicle in an area that has clear line of sight to the sky, making several 90 degree turns. Once a signal is received, it will recalculate a heading based on its new sensor values. If the compass heading does not update after several turns in an open area, turn the Ignition off, open and close the driver's door and wait 3-5 minutes for vehicle system to power down and go to sleep then restart the vehicle. The display should now be updated. Refer to the Owner's Manual as necessary.