: Cross Bars - yes or no ???

SRX312
09-16-11, 08:46 PM
As we know, the SRX comes with side rails. I cant decide if the cross bars look good or not. Need some opinions from you guys and gals. In your opinion, does the vehicle look better with or without the cross bars ? Thank you.

stevec5375
09-16-11, 09:28 PM
Someone in a recent thread on here complained that the crossbars on the roof were causing huge amounts of wind noise so badly that they had to remove them. I would certainly test drive one before making my final decision.

jperaino
09-16-11, 09:58 PM
I have a 2012 with the crossbars. They look great and cause no wind noise at all.

duke11
09-16-11, 11:22 PM
I have an 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat Premium SRX on order. NO crossbars for me!

Marc NY
09-16-11, 11:28 PM
To better compare the bars can someone post a photo with the cross bars installed to see what they look like?

STL Ron
09-17-11, 12:49 AM
Our dealer also recommended against ordering cross bars because of wind noise, plus you look up thru the sun roof and see cross bars.
We just took delivery of our 2012 "Radiant Silver" Performance AWD without cross bars.

sube5186
09-17-11, 11:41 AM
To better compare the bars can someone post a photo with the cross bars installed to see what they look like?

"Zymurgy" has pics of his Gold Mist SRX with crossbars at the thread below. What will you be using them for.....bikes, skis, luggage? Whatever you attach to the crossbars, do you plan on leaving it up there, or disconnecting it when not in use? I considered getting them for bikes. I'm so glad I didn't. I decided to go with a hitch mounted bike rack instead. I had crossbars on my last car and even with a fairing the wind noise was horrific. The wind noise was so bad, at first I thought I actually had a rear window open. Those were Thule crossbars. I've seen the GM factory crossbars in person. They look to be a whole lot more aerodynamic. They're also much thicker than standard crossbars, so some accessories won't attach to them. You have to keep in mind when it comes to wind noise, it's not necessarily the crossbars themselves, it's what's attached to them. A well designed set of crossbars alone can be very quiet. But as soon as you throw a bike rack, ski rack, canoe rack, etc. on them, it changes the whole equation. Those attachments not only create noise, but they decrease gas mileage due to the fact that they increase wind resistance substantially. I'm sure the SRX design team spent months perfecting the aerodynamics of this vehicle. As soon as you add something to the roof, you've completely nullified their efforts. Just some food for thought.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/182811-post-pics-your-new-2nd-generation.html

Sube

ickday1
09-19-11, 04:20 PM
Cross bars were designed to carry luggage, and oversized items like lumber.
Not for cosmetic appearences. If you don't 'need' them, then don't get them.
Now wasn't that easy?

jbsharpe
09-19-11, 07:40 PM
Do what I did -> negotiate them into your purchase at $0 and use them when you need them. They are very easy to put on and take off plus easy to store in the garage. I have a 16' sea kayak that I use 4 or 5 times are year, so only need the crossbars then. I keep the crossbars off as I love to have my sunroof open and enjoy the wide open sky vs. looking at two crossbars.

I'm sure most dealers will throw them in at no extra charge to get the overall deal. Better to try and get them now vs. later for ~$180.00 when you might need them.

algiorda
09-20-11, 08:08 AM
I use removable cross-bars I purchased for my 1st Gen SRX from http://www.orsracksdirect.com/. When I put the cargo carrier or other items on the roof, I simply install the bars and lock them. I remove them when they are not needed. I DO notice wind noise when they are installed.