: Brake pad / rotor replacement???

Autom8r
09-16-11, 10:03 AM
My '04 V is about ready for new brake pads. The rotors are not scored but worn about 0.025 on either side. Does anyone know if there is a set of detailed instructions for replacing pads/rotors available online?

Thanks,

Dave

darkman
09-16-11, 01:07 PM
The brake pad replacement is so simple my references do not even include a description. Basically, once the wheels are off you remove the pads by dislodging two retaining pins with a punch or small screwdriver. You may need to pry the caliper pistons out of the way to fit the new (thicker) pads, but on this is pretty easy. I have attached a page that shows removal of the caliper bolts to take off the rotor - again it is pretty simple and there is no need to take off the brake hose. Finally I have attached a brake spec sheet. The spec sheet shows that the rotor when new only exceeds the minimum required thickness by 0.039 inches so they cannot be turned very much. Some folks get by with just cleaning up the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner others (like me) just replace the rotors.

texasseville
09-16-11, 01:41 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bpadchange/index.html

lollygagger8
09-16-11, 01:49 PM
The Torx screw holding the rotor on is T30, and the caliper bolts are 18mm.

Autom8r
09-16-11, 02:24 PM
Thanks fellers! It looks to me like I can just remove the outside caliper half to get the rotors off but I'll study it further. Do I need to drain, flush and replace the DOT 3 fluid at 64,000 miles and 7 years? Do you also have the bleeding instructions? I'd almost rather have a root canal than bleed brakes!

Dave

AAIIIC
09-16-11, 02:44 PM
Thanks fellers! It looks to me like I can just remove the outside caliper half to get the rotors off but I'll study it further.
:eek: Darkman already posted a PDF that shows how to remove/reinstall the caliper. Removing just the outer half of the caliper would be a horrible, horrible idea!

Do I need to drain, flush and replace the DOT 3 fluid at 64,000 miles and 7 years? Do you also have the bleeding instructions? I'd almost rather have a root canal than bleed brakes!
Yes, if the fluid is 7 years old it's about 5-6 years overdue! Inner bleeder, then outer bleeder on each caliper. Right rear, left front, left rear, right front, in that order (I think - that's off the top of my head).

Aurora40
09-17-11, 06:00 PM
FYI, when you put new pads in you will compress the pistons. The amount of fluid left in the calipers and lines is fairly small. You could change 90% of the brake fluid by sucking it out the reservoir and refilling with new. It's not as good as bleeding them, but is a lot better than doing nothing.

Also FYI, on LS1tech there's a guy that sells all four rotors and pads for like $250 shipped. Drilled/slotted or just slotted.

WesH8398
09-17-11, 06:25 PM
Also FYI, on LS1tech there's a guy that sells all four rotors and pads for like $250 shipped. Drilled/slotted or just slotted.

Any personal experience with these? Can't help but wonder about the quality for that price...

Aurora40
09-17-11, 08:43 PM
Any personal experience with these? Can't help but wonder about the quality for that price...
They've been on my car a few months now. Low dust and no complaints. I wouldn't track the car with those pads, but they have good initial bite. Rotors look great and the zinc coating so far has kept the hubs and vanes rust free

Autom8r
09-17-11, 10:30 PM
I was in the middle of a brainfart when I thought about removing half of the caliper. A nice Friday afternoon drive cleared my head.

Skuze me!

Dave

ba83
09-17-11, 11:59 PM

I recommend OC Auto Sports, which I had on mine car, Reasonable price since most of these companies use Centric Premium Rotors and then slot and Drill them
I have a set of Rear Rotors in the Classifieds for Sale.