: Replaced cracked Differential Now have a new problem...

Newvee2011
09-16-11, 06:38 AM
So, I replaced my cracked diff with a few friends and it seemed like it went in smooth except for the berring cassing that no one seems to mention.. The berrings came out and where a pain to put back but finally got them back. A few miles later and now, here is my new problem... GRRRRR:rant2:.. So, when I put the clutch in put the car in first gear I hear like a metal hitting metal sound from the rear of the car. This happens moving or not. With the clutch still pressed in, I go into another gear and the sound is gone.. I release the clutch and press it in again and go into first again and the sound is back... Any ideas what this could be ? Also, if there is any member in the Dallas area that had some time to take a look at my car, possibly drive it and let me know what they think I would really appreciate it.. Thanks for anyones input..

odla
09-16-11, 08:02 AM
Did you get the bearings back in straight? If not that may be your problem.

Newvee2011
09-16-11, 08:59 AM
They looked like they went in straight. I put a bunch of grease on them so they would stay in place... So, when you put the clutch in and move your gear shift into gear, what exactly happens ? Does the drive shaftmove or the differential ?

lollygagger8
09-16-11, 09:32 AM
Wait a minute.....you just took all the guts out of the old case and replaced the case by itself?

Did you leave the old pinion in?

AAIIIC
09-16-11, 10:00 AM
... except for the berring cassing that no one seems to mention.
Maybe nobody mentions it because we don't know what a "berring cassing" is?

They looked like they went in straight. I put a bunch of grease on them so they would stay in place...
Typically bearings aren't held in place by grease. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

So, when you put the clutch in and move your gear shift into gear, what exactly happens ? Does the drive shaftmove or the differential ?
Hopefully neither moves!

I think you need to better explain what exactly you did. Were you just replacing the diff housing?

Newvee2011
09-17-11, 12:30 AM
Sorry.. I replaced the housing and the guts...The whole differential..When I pulled the old diff off there were bearings with alot of grease on the end of the drive shaft.. What's the pinion ?

RoverGuy7
09-17-11, 12:40 AM
youre talking about the cv on the driveshaft. the cv may cause a vibration if its not right, but not anything when its not turning. it sounds like youre just hearing gear slap, after you line everything up by going into first, you dont hear the noise in the other gears. how does it drive? how loud is the noise?

Newvee2011
09-17-11, 12:52 AM
I hear the noise when I put the clutch in and go into any gear.. With the clutch still in I can go to any other gear and not get the loud metal tapping noise.. Once I let the clutch out and put it back in then I get the noise again. So, every time I put the clutch into any gear wether (2nd to 3rd) or (4th to 5th) or neutral to first, I get the loud metal clanging noise..The Cv is at the end of the drive shaft right and the connects to the differential ?

RoverGuy7
09-17-11, 01:29 AM
how loud are you talking? the Constant Velocity joint is part of the drive shaft that attaches through its 'casing' with 6 bolts to the pinion flange of the differential. by letting the clutch out you turn the mainshaft in the trans and move the gears, going into gear can kick the driveshaft and the pinion gear hits the ring gear in the diff, similar to letting off the gas while driving. it shouldnt be loud, but youll be able to hear it if you listen for it. new diff?

Newvee2011
09-17-11, 07:14 AM
It's a new Diff, like 1000 miles on it.. It's pretty loud, doesnt sound good.. I get the noise after I push the clutch in, it's when I'm putting it into gear I hear the sound like metal hitting metal..

JFensty
09-17-11, 11:04 AM
Maybe a video is a good idea. Its too hard to explain a noise. At this point it could be anything in the drivetrain from the clutch back

Stepside
09-17-11, 10:02 PM
So, :yawn: has your gear oil level in that new Diff? :coffee:

Newvee2011
09-19-11, 02:54 PM
So, I went to Firestone. LOL Just to see what they tell me... They say motor and Transmission mounts are the cause of my problem.. I guess that makes sense.. I ordered the creative Steel motor and Trans mounts..Hey, is there supposed to be space between the axles shaft and the differential when you put them back in ? They gave me a hard time to get back in and I see a space between them.. don't remember if there was before I took them off.. Anyone have a pic of their difff on the car ? I filled up the oil to where it was spilling out.. I guess that's enough...Thanks for everyones help...

whisler151
09-19-11, 04:27 PM
So, I went to Firestone. LOL Just to see what they tell me... They say motor and Transmission mounts are the cause of my problem.. I guess that makes sense.. I ordered the creative Steel motor and Trans mounts..Hey, is there supposed to be space between the axles shaft and the differential when you put them back in ? They gave me a hard time to get back in and I see a space between them.. don't remember if there was before I took them off.. Anyone have a pic of their difff on the car ? I filled up the oil to where it was spilling out.. I guess that's enough...Thanks for everyones help...

Sounds like you are close to SNL Performance (Ft. Worth). I'd give them a call if you are still worried about it. They've worked on tons a Vs and can figure out the problem.

Newvee2011
09-22-11, 12:22 AM
Thanks.. I ordered the motor and Transmission mounts. Hopefully I get them bye the weekend and I'm gonna swapp them out and see if that is the cause of my issue.. They need to be swapped out anyway ...I ordered them through Creative Steel...