: Drive shaft vibrations? also making a tinning noise? at low speeds

minnesota-v
09-16-11, 05:18 AM
:bonkers: goin nuts this is getting louder by the day. im not a mechanic but i know this isnt good!!! it sounds like and feels like the drive shaft has probs? had a mech. look at it and he thinks the center bearing on the drive shaft needs to be replaced but i think its more than that im also getting a big drone from the rearend maybe its bad tires? just got the car so havent had it long enough to replce yet but the rear tires are shot! but with the drive shaft issue it kinda shakes the whole car the noise comes up through the doors and it has a sharp tinning noise the mech. said that it might be loose enough to be rattling agenst that tin plate above the center bearing could this be poss? also when the mech. checked it out the allan bolts on the rear of the shaft were very loose he took them out with his fingers so they were retightened and the noise went away for about a mile then it came back? im starting to think i bought a pos? i love the car but also drive it hard! any ideas would be great! oh ya the car is a 2005 not sure if it has the good diff i hear you all talking about. how can i tell? also i read the other drive shaft threads and it does sound kinda like the prob, but the tinning has me wondering? thanks for any help you guys can give me. also anyone know of any members in the minneapolis area that could check out my car? Michael

Autom8r
09-16-11, 09:11 AM
Do you get the vibration in every gear?

minnesota-v
09-16-11, 09:16 AM
yes, but 1-4th the most

lollygagger8
09-16-11, 09:37 AM
You should've loctited those bolts on the pinion before you put them back in for one.

Sounds like your carrier bearing and/or tires are toast. Especially since you beat on it hard enough to make your tires bad. Carrier bearing is not servicable, so you'll have to get a new driveshaft if that's the problem.

minnesota-v
09-16-11, 10:03 AM
carrier bearing? new driveshaft? sounds expensive whats the cost? and does anyone make a stronger one? what route should i go? going to park the car over the winter and am doing many mods so might as well do it right. thanks 4 the help

repenttokyo
09-16-11, 02:13 PM
new ds is 780 approx. from Lindsay.