: Valve stem Pressure sensor....... F

Teammuir1
09-16-11, 12:39 AM
Hello.
I am new to this forum and I have been looking around for a few days......
I really like the information I that I found,
I and my wife recently bought a 08 Sts.... I have been wanting to take the car in to our
local tire dealer to get Nytrogen put in the tires instead of Air. Well in doing so they came back into
the waiting area and asked me to walk out and look at the Valve stems
He asked me who worked on the car last , I told him we just bought the car and he said well we
have a problem. I am thinking AHHHH OHHHHHH he stated that who ever put the valve stem caps on
the really didnt know what they were doing. I have to agree with them the idiot that thought the Chrome
valve stems covers were a Good idea was so so so WRONG.
OK.. so if there isnt a thread about this there should be one... if there is a thread can SOMEONE please
teach me how to Search for threads..
OK.... moral of this story DO NOT put aluminum valve cover caps on the Tire pressure sensors.

if any one else had this happen to you I would like for you or anyone else to weigh in.
Thanks
Ron

Thanks for leti

ddgm
09-16-11, 03:36 PM
This happened to me also. Former owner put chrome caps on. I twisted one off, very easy to do. Had to buy a new TPMS. I used a dremel and rotary disk to carefully slit the rest of the caps off. Replaced with plastic caps. I posted this awhile ago so there should be a thread about this.

Doug

ddalder
09-16-11, 09:18 PM
Metal (aluminum) caps are stock, not that it necessarily makes it good. This is exactly what the GM Parts Department looked up and gave me when one of mine was missing.

dkozloski
09-16-11, 10:23 PM
The stem is aluminum and the factory cap is also aluminum. They are compatible. What is not compatible is stainless steel. When an electrolyte like road salt is present the aluminum stem sacrifices itself to the stainless cap and the two weld together with corrosion. Plastic caps are safest but they may offend your esthetics. Check out your old chemistry textbook.

Teammuir1
09-16-11, 10:44 PM
Well mine area heavy if you held one in your hand.....
and it has what looks like a Wrench could fit on the end of it.
Chrome in color...
Mine might be Factory but it sure doesnt look it.
so I have a dremel tool and I will take your advice and try to take the caps off
I have nothing to loose.... I have to be able to put air or nytrogen in them sooner
or later.. lol.
thanks for your help guys.

ddalder
09-16-11, 10:49 PM
Different alloys are frequently a problem. I see aluminum and stainless together a lot at work and it is consistently problematic. Even though I use OEM caps, I still have corrosion problems and have replaced caps on a couple of instances since I've owned the car. I've decided I'd rather replace more frequently than use plastic for appearance reasons.

ddalder
09-16-11, 10:52 PM
OEM are not a polished, bright finish and are very light. They are definitely aluminum.

C&C
09-17-11, 06:14 AM
My aluminum (stock) caps also got quite difficult to remove; I applied a smidge of silicone grease and they have been fine since. I suppose you could replace them with the chrome caps and apply a little anti-seize compound and effect the same results.

dkozloski
09-17-11, 06:07 PM
My aluminum (stock) caps also got quite difficult to remove; I applied a smidge of silicone grease and they have been fine since. I suppose you could replace them with the chrome caps and apply a little anti-seize compound and effect the same results.
Anti-seize can contain metallic powders like zinc or copper and create an even worse corrosion problem. CRC 3-36 is a good corrosion preventor in this application.

Teammuir1
09-17-11, 09:26 PM
Tomorrow I will try to cut the old caps off.