: Paddle shift delay on A6... ?How to improve?

js615
09-15-11, 03:56 PM
Has anyone figured out if there is a way to improve the delay between pressing the shift button in manual mode and when the tranny actually executes the shift? As it is from the factory, one has to really plan ahead if you are going to be shifting on a road course.

smackdownCTSV
09-15-11, 04:28 PM
A tune. I only manually shift it to downshift. Those are quick. Upshifting has a lag and I keep red lining. Sport mode is the best. It's faster than auto. Shifts later. And you chirp the tires.

js615
09-15-11, 04:52 PM
A tune. I only manually shift it to downshift. Those are quick. Upshifting has a lag and I keep red lining. Sport mode is the best. It's faster than auto. Shifts later. And you chirp the tires.

So basically, no improvement in manual mode for upshift delay. However, you are happy with the tune's impact to Auto Sport Mode. Gotcha, but once you engage manaual downshift, the transmission remains in manual mode, even for upshifts, until you force it back to Auto Sport Mode. Seems like a lot of work while trying to navigate a road course.

e6t
09-15-11, 05:25 PM
i believe it can be tuned out... however it will likely smoke the tranny.

DoingOK
09-15-11, 07:00 PM
My tuner said the delay was not adjustable as it is in the vettes. The only thing he could make a bit quicker was the completion of the shift.

Caddyscat
09-15-11, 07:05 PM
Just use the sport mode from the get go, as smackdown said the paddles are only good for downshifts. Tranny learns your driving habits in sport mode and becomes much more responsve. This is without tune. I don't care to void my warranty so I haven't tuned.

M5eater
09-15-11, 07:21 PM
My tuner said the delay was not adjustable as it is in the vettes. The only thing he could make a bit quicker was the completion of the shift.
I think your tuner was messing with you, the 6L90E is functionally superior to the 6L80E in every way. He may have told you he couldn't tune it out because these transmissions are very finicky with regard to their tuning, and if you yank out the torque management that causes the delay and safeguards the transmission without knowing what you're doing, you're going to burn it up fairly quickly. That's most of the reason why the 4L80E is still so popular; the 6L80E is very hard to tune for, it can't handle nearly the amount of power right now without big $$$, and it's still pretty hard to find in junkyards.

DoingOK
09-15-11, 09:37 PM
I think your tuner was messing with you, the 6L90E is functionally superior to the 6L80E in every way. He may have told you he couldn't tune it out because these transmissions are very finicky with regard to their tuning, and if you yank out the torque management that causes the delay and safeguards the transmission without knowing what you're doing, you're going to burn it up fairly quickly. That's most of the reason why the 4L80E is still so popular; the 6L80E is very hard to tune for, it can't handle nearly the amount of power right now without big $$$, and it's still pretty hard to find in junkyards.

After nearly 5 hours of tuning and looking at dozens of tables..........he showed me where GM locked out some parameters that are normally available on the vettes he tunes. Steve (Tuned by Frost) is highly recommended and we just kept everything safe and driveable. Some people really want their cars to slam into gear, I do not. Could also be a limitation of his tuning software? I dunno, but after a lot of research, I was advised to go to Steve and everything has worked great.

GMX322V S/C
09-15-11, 10:09 PM
What I don't understand is why there is such a delay in response. Okay, so the engagement needs to be modulated to avoid grenading--but why take so long to initiate the shift after the command to shift?

mrl859
09-15-11, 10:52 PM
What I don't understand is why there is such a delay in response. Okay, so the engagement needs to be modulated to avoid grenading--but why take so long to initiate the shift after the command to shift?Is that the same reason the transmission hesitates on accleration induced down shift?

GMX322V S/C
09-16-11, 02:04 AM
Dunno. When I board it, she downshifts immediately and never gets into the rev limiter.

M5eater
09-16-11, 09:21 AM
After nearly 5 hours of tuning and looking at dozens of tables..........he showed me where GM locked out some parameters that are normally available on the vettes he tunes. Steve (Tuned by Frost) is highly recommended and we just kept everything safe and driveable. Some people really want their cars to slam into gear, I do not. Could also be a limitation of his tuning software? I dunno, but after a lot of research, I was advised to go to Steve and everything has worked great.
Well, I can't say that isn't the way I would have gone; safe and driveable. I would say this is the first time I've heard of someone not being able to waken the trans up, but maybe that's because it just hasen't come up in a thread yet.

Is that the same reason the transmission hesitates on accleration induced down shift?

Dunno. When I board it, she downshifts immediately and never gets into the rev limiter.

Depending on how long we're talking, it could be anything from normal-- we are talking about a regular torque converter Automatic-- to low pressure from low-fluid. I do think I know what you're talking about though, there's probally 1/2 second before the noise-maker pedaler sends the signal to the loud-pipes that it's time to go fast. From experience on the 6L80E L76 in the G8, this is normal.

js615
09-16-11, 12:57 PM
OK, so if the delay can't be taken out and everyoen agrees to use auto sport mode, but manual down shift: What's the fastest way to get the transmission back in to full auto sport mode once you've manually downshifted. As far as I've seen in my V, once I initiate a manual shift (up or down) the transmission stays in manual mode until I pull the shift knob to the left to exit sport mode, then push to the right to get back to sport mode.

FLTRI
09-16-11, 01:30 PM
OK, so if the delay can't be taken out and everyoen agrees to use auto sport mode, but manual down shift: What's the fastest way to get the transmission back in to full auto sport mode once you've manually downshifted. As far as I've seen in my V, once I initiate a manual shift (up or down) the transmission stays in manual mode until I pull the shift knob to the left to exit sport mode, then push to the right to get back to sport mode.

Push and hold either the right shift paddle, or forward on the stick. This puts it back in Sport mode, automatic. There is still a delay, maybe 1.5 seconds. The red M will change to a red D when you're there...

stabie
09-16-11, 02:39 PM
For 11+ owners, you can use the paddles in D mode to do a quick down shift. Then either holding the upshift for 2 secs or driving under constant throttle for about 5 secs will automatically return to full auto mode. I am tending to use this method more. For in town driving I rarely need the more aggressive shift points used when the tranny is in sport mode and really like not needing to force it back into auto mode. It almost reads my mind as to when I want to go back to full auto mode.

tabio42
09-16-11, 02:41 PM
Doesn't that cause an upshift prior to re-engaging sport-auto?

js615
09-16-11, 02:43 PM
Going to give it a try on the drive home here in a few...