: New to the site, Having some issues with my 94 Fleetwood brougham

nastysteve
09-15-11, 01:06 PM
Hey everyone!

I apologize in advance if this is a repost.

I had just recently replaced the gas tank, fuel pump, and fuel filter in my car. It has been running really good. no issues up until recently. A few weeks ago driving to work in the morning on a cold day it stalled all of a sudden. turned the key and it fired right up and didn't stall again. Thought it was maybe something i did because i was on and off the gas at a low RPM (traffic). Then this morning as i go to start it to head to work. It stalls right as it fires. turned the key again and same thing. Tried it again and gave it some gas and it stayed on but seemed like it was idling at a lower rpm then normal. as i go to back out, stalls again. Start again give it more gas and seems to be ok so i continue on. drive about 40 feet and stop at a stop sign and it feels like its about to stall again. I get it home and park it because I was already running late.

Now this morning its been a lot colder then it has been. and the last time it did stall it was cold. So I'm wondering if the colder weather is playing a part in it. Since I'm at work now I figured when I get home i'll fire it up as it should be a lot warmer and see if it runs normal.

Could this be a weather issue? I live in California so its not extremely cold or anything but the car does have a huge amount of miles on it and is fairly old.

Any info would be great! I was hoping to maybe come across some one who has experienced the same.

I'll also check back in once I'm home and get the chance to start it again.

Thanks

Steve

outsider
09-15-11, 01:18 PM
hmmm, sounds to me like a vacuum leak (maybe EGR valve failure?)

I don't think the cold weather would do this to your car. I live in maine and my 95 is my winter beater...starts up fine and always runs right in cold weather. I guess the cold weather could exacerbate a vacuum leak because the rubber would be constricted when cold...but I would start at the EGR valve. should be on the back top of the intake manifold.

nastysteve
09-15-11, 06:53 PM
hmmm, sounds to me like a vacuum leak (maybe EGR valve failure?)

I don't think the cold weather would do this to your car. I live in maine and my 95 is my winter beater...starts up fine and always runs right in cold weather. I guess the cold weather could exacerbate a vacuum leak because the rubber would be constricted when cold...but I would start at the EGR valve. should be on the back top of the intake manifold.

Had to have the ERG valve replaced a few months ago for it to pass smog.

could it be the optispark maybe? From i hear moisture causes them to fail often. I'll be home in a hour and a half or so to start it up and see how its running.

HUF
09-15-11, 08:10 PM
Your car has onboard diagnostics. Run it and write down stored codes, if any. See FAQ section for diagnostics. I would make sure throttle body and the back sides of plates are clean and nice. You may have idle speed control problem, IMHO.

Watch the video in this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/173800-rwd-faq-tech-info.html

drmenard
09-15-11, 10:35 PM
not really enough information, but if I was to guess I'd say a bad temp sensor.. The one in the water pump.. just a guess

turbojimmy
09-16-11, 07:19 AM
not really enough information, but if I was to guess I'd say a bad temp sensor.. The one in the water pump.. just a guess

Yeah, could be just about anything. I was going to guess MAF.

nastysteve
09-16-11, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. Didnt get a chance to log back on last night but when i got home and tried to start it. it fired right up and didn't stall. I let it sit for about 15 mins and still no stalling. Took it for a spin, got back home and let it sit again for another 15 and still no stalling.

This morning its a lot warmer than it was yesterday. turned the key and it fired right up. I let it sit for about 5 mins then proceeded to work with no problems.

weird huh?

I'll defiantly try to check the codes for sure.

Thanks again

bigpete
09-16-11, 11:15 AM
Hi I am even newer then him, and this seems to be the only way I can add a comment. I would like to know how I can start a new thread or post. I cant seem to figure it out at all.

sorry in advance

csbuckn
09-16-11, 11:24 AM
I bet the hard start and stalling was because of moisture in the opti.

For starting a tread, back out of this page and above the 'stickies' for 'start tread'. Almost at the top of the page.