: To all my Gear Head Friends (Long)

FLTRI
09-15-11, 01:53 PM
Most of my friends didn't know I was buying a Vagon, so when it was delivered, I snapped a couple of photos and sent the following email around to all the gear heads, and fellow racers, in my address book. I got some very interesting reply's. Vulgarity, and names edited. Enjoy...

Hi All,

Well, it's been a fun ride, but the time has come to say good-bye to dangerous and frivolous things. I truly enjoyed all the performance cars I've owned, driven and raced over the years. It started for me with a 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 police interceptor motor when I was 16, proceeded through a flock of Corvettes, including a King of the Hill 1991 ZR-1 (we used the hyphen, back in the day) and an LT4 6-speed. I had a Turbo Daytona, and a 5.0 Mustang 5-speed at the same time. Yyyyy had a 260Z with a Kieth Black 350 in it, a big block Nova, and lived the muscle car era up close and personal.

Yyyyy & I both have raced road courses, gymkhanas, autocrosses, and high speed open road events in two countries. We've drag raced from stop lights, as well as at sanctioned events. A couple of years ago, I out drove a Porsche 911 up The Pacific Coast Highway in our SUV. We've seen speedometers read well north 160 MPH on numerous occasions. Our den is filled with racing and driving memorabilia, there are trophies from events we've won, and pictures of ones we didn't. Our closets contain racing helmets, Proban racing suits, fire extinguishers, time slips and five point harnesses.

But, the realization that neither of us is getting any younger, as well as the reality of looking at mangled cars and bodies on an all too frequent basis has brought us to the conclusion that this is a dangerous pastime. I want to live out my golden years in one piece. Retirement is a little over 4 years away, and I plan on making it there unscathed, and getting many years of retirement checks out of "The System".

So where am I going with this? Well, we recently sold three of our performance vehicles. With the proceeds, we bought a new car, one that will be paid off about the same time I pull the plug at work. This car should take us well into retirement, and is likely to be the last new car we will ever buy.

And it's a Station Wagon. Yeah, we bought a Station Wagon. Four doors, five if you count the lift gate. Lots of cargo room for sedate trips to the places folks go in retirement. Room for groceries, or picking up pansies at Star Nursery. Nice comfortable ride, and since we are not getting younger we went for the brass ring and got a Cadillac... Yup a Cadillac. As in left lane at 50 MPH with the turn signal stuck on, gray hair peeking over the headrest, and arthritic knuckles clutching the steering wheel.

Oh, I almost forgot mention that our Cadillac Station Wagon, is a CTS-V...

6.2 liter motor with an Eaton supercharger borrowed from a ZR1 (the new one, no hyphen). 556 HP and 551 TQ. 0-60 in 4.0 flat, 191 MPH drag limited top end, & it'll pull nearly 1-G laterally. 6-speed tranny with paddle shifters, Recaro seats, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Super Car tires on 19" alloys. 6-piston Brembo brakes, dual-mode magnetic ride control, lateral G-force meter, and it gets 12 MPG on a good day...

F--- it. See you at the track...

Xxx & Yyyyy

RippyPartsDept
09-15-11, 02:05 PM
nice!

can you share any of the replies?

[edit: and for the record, that's not very long... :)]

DPL
09-15-11, 02:11 PM
Hilarious! Glad you are back

elphil
09-15-11, 02:17 PM
Nice piece. Just remember to turn off your turn signals.

M5eater
09-15-11, 02:19 PM
lol, that was a good read

FLTRI
09-15-11, 03:04 PM
nice!

can you share any of the replies?

Sure, here's a few:

Xxx, you a--hole you really had me going, I thought poor bastard , giving up on all the neat rides, thanks for the good laugh and the neat picts, looks like a perfect retirement wagon

Impressive ride for certain….and a helluva sleeper. I’m jealous ;-) Funny lead-in to surprise ending.

Sharp. So when do I get to see it up close???

Xxx, want to see interior and motor pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A great retirement ride!! Pretty crazy when the new Caddy will kick ass on the King of the Hill 91’ ZR-1 or your 69’ 440 Road Runner…and it’s black too…….by the way the old car still looks and runs good but the AC is on the blink but I guess it is 20 years old. (From the guy I sold the ZR-1 too)

Glad you are doing your part to keep the economy going. I have been encouraging everyone to buy a Prius because I need the gas…….I figure we are currently spending about $1000 a month on fuel for commuting and toys…….Love it. My big heavy Shelby Mustangs consume plenty of the juice…..I’m happiest when mileage drops to the single digits cause that means I’m having fun. Quads, dirt bikes, jet skis, Razor side by side, turbos, superchargers etc seem to rule my life……..a full time job just to keep up the maintenance……a good thing. Glad you are enjoying some of the frivolous things too. You guys should come out to play some weekend when it cools off a bit.

Hope to see you at the track.

You are a BAD person and you really had me worried that you had turned into a pu--y until I read the last paragraph. Don't do that again...

Welcome to AARP and Old Guys Rule Club, which I know you you will represent well with that station wagon. I can see it now two young guys sitting in their tricked out rice burner doors blown off saying what the hell was that.

Kluch
09-15-11, 03:30 PM
I assume you are retiring when you hit 51 since you have your age listed at 47? Nice. I'll still be working at 70 I'm sure. And even if you do drive a cadillac now, you're a long way from being an old man.

js615
09-15-11, 03:43 PM
Awesome thread!

ChicagoV
09-15-11, 05:12 PM
OP: I want to party with you (and your wagon)!

FLTRI
09-16-11, 01:20 PM
OP: I want to party with you (and your wagon)!

Anytime Chicago, anytime... :thumbsup:

mberisha
09-16-11, 01:32 PM
Bad-ass! Way to keep the HP and the "level-headedness" on par.....have a blast w/the Vagon....and lite that ass-end up at every stoplight! Oh yeah!

SoCalCTSV
09-16-11, 07:25 PM
Fantastic read. The only part I hated is the fact that you are 47 and almost retired! I need a better career then! Congrats!

FLTRI
09-17-11, 01:58 PM
Fantastic read. The only part I hated is the fact that you are 47 and almost retired! I need a better career then! Congrats!

Yeah, thankfully I listened to my Dad when I was young very. Here was his advise:

1) Start saving for retirement with your first check. Even if it's only a small amount, it will add up over time. Compound interest is an amazing thing.
2) Never, ever touch the money, no mater how tempting.
3) Find a career that offers a pension. Even if it pays less, the pension will make up for it in the end.
4) Never spend more than you make.
5) Avoid credit cards, and keep your credit history clean. If you need to borrow, good credit makes borrowing cheaper.
6) Never have sex without a condom. It doesn't mater how hot she is, or if she says she is on the pill.

Dad, was a very smart man...

tabio42
09-17-11, 06:39 PM
LEO or Fire? :)

Congrats on the car.