: Looking to buy a Newer STS but have an audio & mechanical question first.....

roggy
09-15-11, 03:25 AM
Ok so I have a 2002 STS and love it. Sadly the half-case gasket is leaking pretty bad.:crying2:

Overall the car is in great shape for the km. 230,000km.

In the 7 years I have owned it I have only had two major repairs. 1) Water Pump = Not that bad to be honest (advice if this happens to you dont be cheap replace tensioner).
2) Idle sensor control = Unreal the cost of this little part and equally the effect it has on the car if not fixed.

So all and all the car has been good. No rust but plenty of rock chips on the front hood and bumper. I can not stress how much I love the Bose stero system in this car. Coming from the 1995 STS to this 2002 STS what an improvement. Wth the stock factory Sub and the 5 speaker system nothing I ahve heard tops it for factory.L

ittle things like steering wheel bulbs burning out and passenger seat heater short (its ok its the wife who sits there) are the only things really wrong with the car. I am leaving out the odd error codes which turn to history in 1 minute. Strange but it seems this happens to all Caddy's.

Ok so a couple of questions......

a) Do the newer models come with such a great Bose stereo system?
b) Is it worth a paint job and half-case gasket repair?
c) If the half-case gasket repair is done should I do any other work on the engine since it is out?
d) Is it worth picking up a rebuilt Northstar to fix my car and changing the engines rather then getting to work done on the motor presently in the car? (Not sure of price for parts & labour).

I think you see where I am going and to be honest I do want a newer STS or even CTS but to be honest I cant afford $18k - 25k at this moment. Its just not in the budget however if the costs are to high for the above I may have no choice.
:cookoo:
Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance for your time.:D

MacMuse
09-15-11, 07:47 AM
The Bose 15 speaker system available with the Navigation system in my '06 STS is the best OEM stereo I've ever had in a car.

roggy
09-15-11, 07:57 AM
Very cool. Nice to know they have kept there shit together when it comes to stereo systems.

1stCaddylac
09-15-11, 10:54 AM
Go for it you will not be dissapointed. I just got rid my 02 sls and got a 08 sts and LOVE IT..Oh yea the system is waaaaaaaay bettter than the 02

Hoosier24
09-15-11, 11:29 AM
Bought an 09 loaded w v6 3 weeks ago. I have installed aftermarket amps and speakers in every car I've ever had. The bose system in this car is the 1st one i don't intend to upgrade, it's that good. The navigation system on the other hand must have been designed 15 years ago. It's easier to use the free nav app on my droid.

tomm
09-15-11, 05:21 PM
Bought an 09 loaded w v6 3 weeks ago. I have installed aftermarket amps and speakers in every car I've ever had. The bose system in this car is the 1st one i don't intend to upgrade, it's that good. The navigation system on the other hand must have been designed 15 years ago. It's easier to use the free nav app on my droid.

Have to agree with this... I use my Android Phones Navigation as a preference.

Dj Brady
09-15-11, 08:33 PM
I love the quality of my bose 5.1 system in my '05. I wish it had just a little more volume (I'm spoiled to my custom install in my riviera), but I'm satisfied with the system and don't intend to tinker with it.
My only complaint is the AWFUL compression used in the satellite service. The audio sounds atrocious on XM.

grimacexl
10-04-11, 12:24 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do the 08's and up sts's have native mp3 support? I love my '00 sts's bose, but I would really like mp3 support. Also, does the Bluetooth profile support stereo audio streaming? Thanks in advance!

1BadCadSTS
10-04-11, 08:46 AM
Yup Nav equipped STS will play MP3 CDs but NOT DVDs (not sure about non nav) but why bother, Nav ONLY cars come equipped with an RCA jack input in the center for connecting an IPOD.

EChas3
10-04-11, 09:22 PM
iPod support requires a cable to RCA jacks (if equipped with Bose/Nav 15.1).

There are a few aftermarket add-in products. I have Pacific Accessories Corporation's uPAC-STS providing iPod docking with charging & control via the radio controls. HD Radio, too (but it's nothing special).

grimacexl
10-08-11, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the input, I have an android device and my ultimate goal is to sync my phone and play my music through the stereo and as an added bonus change tracks using steering buttons, but I know that's all unicorn farts and rainbows, so I'm not expecting that. :D