: suspension for pro-touring fleetwood/coupe deville?

Brad Howard
09-14-11, 05:31 PM
i would like to buy either a 93 fleetwood or a 66-73 coupe deville but i want to make them handle i was thinking is there any kind of aftermarket suspension systems for like coilover or air suspension and any body braces to stop the body from flexing?

and im also wondering about stripping the car of unnecessary weight. and maybe adding a small wing on dont worry a wing like this (http://www.jhp.com.au/jhpgto/ExteriorAccessories/newlip2-h.jpg) and maybe a small front splitter (http://www.speedzonemotorsports.com/images/P/STI_front-side.jpg lood at bottom of bumper)

jayoldschool
09-14-11, 07:49 PM
93 is easily done. Everything for the Impala SS/Caprice works on the 77-96. Springs, shocks, control arms, etc. 66-73 is a lot bigger car to get going around corners, and with no interchange, you are on your own for fab or figuring out what works. You don't need to lose any weight to make 93-96 handle, and the car won't go fast enough to need a wing. Tip: if you want to have fun, don't buy a 93. Buy a 94-96. Much more HP from the LT1 than the L05.

albymangled
09-14-11, 11:22 PM
Go the later model...no sense in bastardizing a 66-73.

MrHolland
09-14-11, 11:59 PM
Cmon now, part of owning a Cadillac is being able to say "yeah, but it rides like a Cadillac"

cadillac kevin
09-15-11, 12:05 AM
get a 94-96 caprice. its lighter and shorter than the fleetwood of that era.
but if you really want a cadillac to go pro touring you'll need to overhaul the suspension, brakes, and wheels
I wouldnt bother with the 66-73 cadillacs. too long and heavy to ever handle well
I'd get a 94-96 fleetwood (lt1)
as for upgrades
shocks: best for factory springs- monroe severe service - used in police and taxi caprices.
or- impala ss normal springs (2 inch drop) and bilsteins for an impala ss (not sure if severe service shocks work with the lower springs)
quicker ratio steering box (I've heard that early 90's cherokees had GM quick ratio steering boxes)
rear sway bar- factory tow package or caprice 9c1.
wings: not good for anything but making your cadillac the most retarded cadillac in the hood.
wheels: I'd go for a 17 inch rim and lower profile tires.
brakes: new pads, and maybe a disc brake conversion out back.
interior: get some bucket seats. its hard to wheel a boat around a track when you're sliding across the seat.
but when you're done, you'll end up with the most uncomfortable, least cushy, and most un-cadillac-like cadillac ever. not to mention that for the several grand you threw into the car, you could have gotten something that was actually meant to handle.

csbuckn
09-15-11, 01:20 AM
I'd love to see an older Coupe tuned for pro-touring. I agree that its too heavy and wouldn't handle the job but if you like to throw some weight around, go for it.

cadillac_al
09-16-11, 07:56 AM
It's already been done and it's awesome.

http://www.jherush.com/schwartzperformance/cadillac.htm

MrHolland
09-16-11, 08:42 AM
Thats awesome!!!!! Imagine the looks on the faces of those sports car drivers when a family car buzzed around them.

csbuckn
09-16-11, 11:07 AM
Love to see that setup on a 68 coupe.

Cadillacboy
09-17-11, 04:35 PM
I would go for LT1 engine w/o doing too much bastardizing lol (ha ha nice word )

joeCRASH
01-18-12, 04:59 PM
does the impala suspension work on the coupes too?

jayoldschool
01-18-12, 06:49 PM
Yes.

jsherid1
01-18-12, 06:59 PM
http://www.cadillacperformanceparts.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=21&Itemid=73

Check out the guys at Potter Performance for more on how to build a ProStreet Caddy.

joeCRASH
01-20-12, 02:51 PM
How bout reared?

jayoldschool
01-20-12, 03:45 PM
How bout reared?

What is "reared"?

csbuckn
01-20-12, 04:30 PM
The rear will fit but the driveshaft may have a different connection at the end. Could be as simple as changing the connection on the driveshaft.

DouglasJRizzo
01-22-12, 09:49 AM
If one is truly looking to make a serious "pro tour" machine, the '77-96 is the way to go. However, if you want to make the previous generation Cad handle a bit better, it means a lot of EXPENSIVE fabrication on your own (hope you own a machine shop). One thing that can help the earlier cars is the addition of Limousine sway bars, which are MUCH larger than the standard cars, if they were even there at all.