: Uploading "Phone Book"

classiccars
09-14-11, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure, but how do you transfer your cell phone's contact list to the vehicle? My BlackBerry is paired and works, but I can't call any of the "Names" in my cell phone's directory. This Ford's Sync System, I was able to press a botton and say: "Call Joe" and it would dial.
I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or I still need to upload my contact "Phone Book" list. What are the steps?
How is this done on a 2012 model without Nav.?
Thanks again for your help.

stevec5375
09-14-11, 08:36 PM
Did the car come with a manual? The 2010 model doesn't do it at all.

classiccars
09-15-11, 09:50 PM
I see that no one has stepped up here yet to try to help me figure this out. Here is some more information.

My Blackberry phone is paired. This is what I do currently to make a simple call: Too many steps.

I can then hit the "Phone" button on the center console area twice. This will bring up a menu with "Phone Book" listing.
I then turn the select knob down to Phone Book and push to select.
Then will bring up "ABC", "DEF", "GHI", "JKL", etc... If I want to call Joe. I will need to turn the select knob to "JKL" and select.
This will then bring up all my contacts in the "JKL" area on my phone.
I then have to turn the select knob a ton to scoll down through all my 40 plus names that start with "J" to get to Joe. (Keeping my eyes on the road!!)
Once at Joe, I have the secect which of Joe's number I want to call. "Work, Cell, home"

Tell me there is an easier way to make a call using the "Contact Name" on my cell phone. "Name Tag"

I tried using voice commands to have the system make a call. It seem like they have none of my contact "Names" from my cell phone stored. She never seems to find any of the names I say. "Call Home" , "Call Joe", etc..

I found some info that states this:
"Making a call using the call command"
Step 1): To utilize the "Call Command", a phone number must be stored as an OnStar nametag. (Bluetooth is setup, Do I now need to set up OnStar?)
Step 2-5) I can understand these steps fine. Its the this first step is where I'm lost. How should I save my Phone Book to the OnStar NameTag?
Do I need the press the "OnStar" button on the mirror? Do I need to get OnStar active everytime I make a call using a "NameTag" command?
If the OnStar system is part of the "Hands Free" calling that uses the NameTags, Will I need to subscribe to Onstar once my trial period is over to keep make Voice command calls?

Thanks

Maxdmax
09-15-11, 11:46 PM
I will look at our SRX and see if I can help. If it is like my camaro you have to enter the number manually and add a voice tag to it. I have not seen any cars that can do voice recognition just from a phone book, so I am questioning if it has the feature you are trying to use.......

classiccars
09-16-11, 08:35 AM
The Ford "Sync" systems are able to work on voice commands. All you have to do with a Ford/Lincoln, is to press the phone button on the steering wheel, an say:
"Call Joe - Moble". It will dail and call Joe.
If I have to save each NameTag and Number manually, how is that done?

11RavenBlack
09-16-11, 09:53 AM
From the OnStar Guide:

How to store a name tag for speed-dialing
1. Push the button. When the system responds with “OnStar ready” and the talk-tone, say “Store.”
2. When the system responds with “Please say the phone number you would like to store,” say the entire number, without pausing.
3. When the system responds with “Please say the name tag,” choose a name tag, like “My house.”
4. When the system responds with “About to store <My house>. Does that sound OK?” say, “Yes”
(or “No,” to try again).

So apparently you can't upload your phone book. Numbers and name tags must be entered manually. This is my second OnStar equipped vehicle and both have worked this way.

:pow-mia: Never Forget

Maxdmax
09-17-11, 12:12 AM
I looked at this on our 2012 srx a minute ago. I don't think you upload it, you just pair your phone first. Then just push the phone button on the steering wheel. When it says ready just say voice, wait for the tone and say call then the name in your phone. We called my cell with my wife iphone. She has me in her contacts as Dad so you hit the button say "voice" wait for the tone and say "call dad mobile" it called me on my cell. She has my work and mobile numbers in her phone so you need to say which one to call, if you do not say which one it asks you which one to call. This worked fine......

classiccars
09-17-11, 12:41 PM
I looked at this on our 2012 srx a minute ago. I don't think you upload it, you just pair your phone first. Then just push the phone button on the steering wheel. When it says ready just say voice, wait for the tone and say call then the name in your phone. We called my cell with my wife iphone. She has me in her contacts as Dad so you hit the button say "voice" wait for the tone and say "call dad mobile" it called me on my cell. She has my work and mobile numbers in her phone so you need to say which one to call, if you do not say which one it asks you which one to call. This worked fine......

Maxdmax solved my problem. Yes, that works also for me. The one step I wasn't doing correctly was starting with saying: "Voice". Once you say voice, all you have to do is say something like: "Call Joe Moble" That is all you have to do. I couldn't see why I needed to add the contacts manually.
Question: How did you know or where did you find the information about the command "Voice"? Is that in the manual somewhere?

Ken

Maxdmax
09-17-11, 01:37 PM
Maxdmax solved my problem. Yes, that works also for me. The one step I wasn't doing correctly was starting with saying: "Voice". Once you say voice, all you have to do is say something like: "Call Joe Moble" That is all you have to do. I couldn't see why I needed to add the contacts manually.
Question: How did you know or where did you find the information about the command "Voice"? Is that in the manual somewhere?

Ken

I just did a search for phone in this forum and found an earlier post about it.