Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Replacing a TPS in a 99 Deville?

13K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 ·
I am getting codes P0122 and P1122
P0122 Code - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input
P1122 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage

I figured I can replace the TPS first, as I am also showing the usual signs - car drives itself, high RPMs in park. etc

I just have one question... How do I get to the bottom screw? I really do not want to put coolant all over my floor... again... I have found a few posts to changing one out, but no one said what they used? Is there a special tool I need besides the torx bit?

Aside from that, I just need to do a TPS relearn, correct? I heard of two different procedures, one is to just unhook the battery for 10 odd minutes, hook the battery up, and then start the car and drive it, and the other is much more complicated than that. Which one is the one that I should use?

#5 ·
The bottom of the TPS is blocked by the dog bone brace, and the brace has a bolt that is tied in with a tube that runs underneath it. Unless there is a tool that will allow me to get at the screw at an angle, I am stuck either removing the brace, and putting coolant on my floor, or removing the TB. I will go ahead and take pictures tomorrow for a reference, I actually just got back from a trip and have the weekend to work on it

#6 ·
Auto part Fuel line

Auto part

Attached is where the bottom screw is. Allen wrenches appear to be too long. The other picture is showing the tubing that connects to the bottom of the dog bone bracket. I assume coolant runs through it. If I go this route I will remove the bracket and end up putting coolant on my floor. Unless there is a different tool that will work, I either need to remote the TB or remove the dog bone and bracket.

#9 ·
Without the engine on you'll get a trickle of coolant out of the hollow bolt/nipple. DO NOT let any coolant drip down onto the EBTCM which is on the frame flat just rearward of the driver's end radiator tank. Lots of brake lines attached, as well as a sensitive multi-pin electrical connector.

In order to test flow, you remove the line from the reservoir top side - hold the end in the open filler neck - it's a small steady stream which bleeds off air and gas at a cooling system high point - but do it with the engine cold ! Pull it off hot and you uncork a 16 psi snake..........use an assistant on the ignition key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.