: Got a 78 Coupe Deville sitting unused- what should I do with it?

johnmax
09-13-11, 08:49 PM
Mother in law has a 78 Coupe Deville that has been sitting in a garage for 10 years. Hasnt been started during that time. I believe it has very low miles, like in the 20s. From what I remember it was in pretty good shape, but obviously sitting unused wasnt the best for it. We're looking to get rid of it. What do you guys think I should do? Is it worth anything? It'd be a shame to scrap it.

jayoldschool
09-13-11, 09:11 PM
You'll get 3-400 if you bring it to the scrapper yourself, or 1-200 if you have someone pick it up. Heartbreaking. So, sell it cheap to someone that will appreciate it. Or, if you are looking for some good karma, give it to one of the guys on here that lives close to you. The car will get taken care of, and you will get the benefit of checking in here for updates as it is resurrected to its former glory...

Pics, and location would be good!

sven914
09-13-11, 09:17 PM
Once you have ten posts, you can show us some pictures and we can tell you what parts are viable. The car may be salvageable as a whole, but if not, there are always little bits and pieces that someone might need.

csbuckn
09-13-11, 09:33 PM
Where you located?

77CDV
09-13-11, 09:38 PM
Unless the car is a total wreck, I wouldn't send it to the crusher. There are plenty of people who would reactivate it or at least part it out to keep other cars like it on the road.

johnmax
09-13-11, 10:40 PM
Car is in Bayport, Long Island. I havent seen it in a while, but will try to get some pics this weekend. Yea id hate to scrap it, rather see someone make use of it. From what I remember it was in great shape. Grandpa loved it and only took it out on sundays. But so much work now thats its been sitting and I just dont have time.

The-Dullahan
09-14-11, 03:22 AM
Seriously. I would find someone and give it to them. Wouldn't bother trying to sell it.

outsider
09-14-11, 07:33 AM
I don't have a 70's cadillac yet...

keep us posted, my girlfriend will kill me but i may be interested ;)

deVille33
09-14-11, 08:51 AM
Please find time or get someone to take some pics to post. I, personally, have several of these cars and love them. If you can't post here, you can send them to deville121@lycos.com
It would cost me, as you are an estimated 3 hrs away, but I am interested. Even if it doesn't run, I have a '78 325 ready to drop in.

johnmax
09-14-11, 05:58 PM
I'll take some pics this weekend. I would like to get something for it. I guess it depends on how it looks after all these years.

Mark 78 Coupe
09-14-11, 06:24 PM
Hey deville 33, if you see this, I have a question- I have a 78 Coupe Deville, and I can't seem to find any oem sill plates for our coupes. I am also wondering if you have had to use any of the aftermarket filler/bumper extensions in the rear, and what your opinion is. I am impressed that you are able to maintain and enjoy 3 77 Coupes at once!!:cool:

deVille33
09-15-11, 08:25 AM
OEM sill plates in good condition are difficult to find. 1980coupe lives in Texas. He used to go to a junk yard there and He found some cars with parts in exceptional condition there. He hasn't posted in some time and I wonder what happened to him.
Yes, I have experience with the aftermarket fillers and not good. The ABS fillers are stiff and you have to trim the mounting frames to fit the inside of the filler. Trial & error, fit and refit. Then, after you get the frames to fit the fillers, it is a pain to get the fillers to align with the body lines. I'm fussy, so I spent a lot of time on this and the results were less than satisfactory. If you can find original fillers that aren't dried out, get them. Sometimes you can find used ABS fillers with the frame already mounted, so half your work will be done already. Beware, some sellers will tell you the ABS plastic fillers are OEM. They either have no clue or are lying to get the price up.
My 3 cars are always in rotation. One is a work in prgress, one a work in question and the other a driver. I have others that are exclusively parts cars and some that are in storage, awaiting my attention.

johnmax
09-17-11, 05:18 PM
Ok took some pics today. Much better shape than I remember. Has 52525 miles. Only real cosmetic items are those rubber body pieces in front of the tail lights need a repaint. Pretty common from what ive seen in the past. Interior is nice, just need to reglue the headliner. Engine bay looks good too. Gonna clean it up and make it run. Change the oil, some fresh gas, etc. A cleaning and polish and it should look very nice.

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_13-49-34_531.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_13-52-05_948.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_13-53-14_81.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-09-23_82.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-10-26_328.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-10-48_423.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-13-26_294.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-13-35_306.jpg

http://www.johnandkim.org/images/caddy/mini-2011-09-17_16-15-03_658.jpg

77CDV
09-17-11, 06:27 PM
Beautiful! She'll look a treat when she's all shined up. :)

Aron9000
09-17-11, 09:42 PM
A good buff will get that paint shining like new. Not really sure what you're supposed to do on a finish that old, its before they painted cars with a clear coat. Keep at it, this car is just a lot of mechaincal work and a good buff away from being a solid #3 or #2 survivor.

EDIT: For the headliner, you need to take the whole thing out, order new material, and glue it back to the headliner backer board. Or you can pay $200 for somebody to do it. The material is very easy to find, GM used that headliner material for decades.

johnmax
09-17-11, 10:45 PM
Yea the headliner and shape up is no biggie. Ive done a few headliners in my 20 years in the car audio business :)

Thinking I may be able to get more than a few hundred for it now.

ferrisworld
09-17-11, 11:13 PM
That's a 79 BTW, not a 78.

jayoldschool
09-17-11, 11:36 PM
Hit that paint with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and it will look like it just rolled out of the showroom.

MrHolland
09-17-11, 11:48 PM
That's a 79 BTW, not a 78.
I agree, good catch Ferris. Subtle differences!!!!

dennis93coupe
09-18-11, 11:11 AM
This is a nice looking Coupe. Too bad you are across the continent, I'd consider taking this off your hands. This car was made when Cadillac still made a good body and a dependable engine for the most part.

deVille33
09-18-11, 11:36 AM
Very nice, from your previous description I had visions of major deterioration. I wouldn't be afraid to throw some cash at it to addresss the minor issues that would touch it up and make it roadworthy. I'll tell you right now, that It will outlast any of today's 20G cars and bring you a lot of pleasure.
Did you get it running? Do the brakes still work? It looks like it was driven out of the garage. If you still don't want it, let me know. You can send me a personal email to this site or the one I posted earlier.

yesca78
09-18-11, 11:41 AM
get it back on the road

dennis93coupe
09-18-11, 02:32 PM
This car looks like it has a moonroof. Not many had this option.

CADforce69
09-19-11, 08:23 AM
Body, chrome and interiors look like new (just the headliner issue easily solved). Thatīs one of the most beautiful paint tones. Please, somebody get it on the road again :bouncy:

jsherid1
09-27-11, 12:30 PM
Saffron firemist paint--I really like the car, nice save!

thefleetwoodguy
09-27-11, 06:20 PM
if outsider doesnt buy it I may just be interested and Im not that far from you
let me know, Matt got first dibs....
www.thefleetwoodguy.com
Jim

johnmax
09-27-11, 08:50 PM
Well im gonna put some time in it to clean it up and make her run so I'll update here.

johnmax
12-15-12, 02:58 PM
UPDATE:

Well I never got around to doing anything with it. Too many cars of my own to take care of :bonkers: And now car has to go by mid January- house is being sold. Was gonna put it up on craigslist and maybe ebay. Or maybe someone here wants it? Any idea what a good asking price is? Its located in Great River, NY (LI)

The-Dullahan
12-15-12, 05:35 PM
If I still had my property in PA, I'd pick it up tonight. There has to be someone out there who will take it off your hands. Don't be afraid to post it online. Anyone getting it is still better than the junkyard.

cadmanchris
12-15-12, 11:18 PM
How much are you looking to get? I may be interested.

deVille33
12-16-12, 12:38 PM
I was looking to see if you had all systems checked out and operating properly. (Engine, trans, brakes, etc, etc.) That would be a big factor in your asking price. If everything works as it should, you could ask $5000.00 area. You could ebay it with a high reserve to see what the present market will bear.

Benzilla
12-16-12, 08:10 PM
Gorgeous car! I'm drooling over here, wish I had the space for it! A couple of tips for you to consider: If you're going to try and sell it as driving condition, make sure you go through the engine with a fine tooth comb, and look for anything that could bust while the new owner is driving it home.. All of the heater hoses for example (even the little ones in the back), basically everything that's flexible in any way should be inspected thoroughly and replaced if any signs of age are present. Vacuum & heater hoses are cheap by the foot, and all new rubber makes all the difference in the world, especially if you have any vacuum leaks. Also, watch the brake lines. I had more than one bust in traffic on a '79 CDV that was sitting a while. Even the metal ones seem to rust from the inside out.

The car still has an old set of tires with the correct whitewall, congratulations! If you decide to replace them, it helps originality find a set with the same whitewall, which is not as easy to find as standard ones, but I know of a few resources. For one, ask your local tire shops if they have 'GT Radial Champiro 75' tires. They are cheap tires with excellent grip and a more suitable whitewall. The best "Bang for your buck" tire. DO not get any tires called "American Classics" if you want a decent looking whitewall. They are expensive, and have the whitewall in the wrong spot, lol.

Also, if the power seats aren't working right, the grease inside the motors tends to get hard with age & bind the system up. So if the switches just click with no action, I'd check that first. Common problem.

Thanks for posting this!
-Ben

johnmax
12-17-12, 05:54 PM
As I wrote, i'm not gonna have the time to get it back on the road. It ran fine when the mother in law stopped driving it. Its just been sitting. I wish I even had space in my driveway, but I have another project car that I rarely find time for. I wanna sell it, but obviously not as road ready. I'm sure it wouldnt take much to get it ready, and I wish I had the time, I just dont.

Anyone want to make an offer or advise how much I should ask? I would rather it go to an enthusiast then be scrapped or someone buying it to have a beater. This thing would be sweet with a lil bit of tlc.

deVille33
12-18-12, 11:08 AM
Without the knowledge of the cars mechanical status, I will offer you $1200, basically for the body. If it looks anything like the pics, that is great. It is going to cost me another $1000 to have my transporter pick it up. You didn't fill out your profile, I need your ZIP code to firm up the transport cost.

johnmax
12-18-12, 05:17 PM
Zip is 11739. I may try and fire it up this weekend with some fresh gas. Just to hear it run again. If so i'll post here

cadillac_al
12-19-12, 11:28 AM
When I bought my 78 Coupe, the seller wanted to show me that it ran, so he started it up with old oil that was down over a quart on a cold day. A month later it started knocking. Stuff like that makes me nervous. This is why if I can't change the oil, I at least make sure it is full and I will pump it once to set the choke and let the engine turn without pumping it to hopefully get the oil pumping before it actually starts. If it starts quickly after only one pump after sitting over a year then, oh well, it may be a very good engine. That would be my advice for this Coupe. good luck to both.

johnmax
01-10-13, 04:17 PM
Just to update: Havent had time to even pull the cover off of it. Its up on craigslist.

Anyone local is welcome to come and see it. Taking offers. Got a few emails from interested parties already. Thanks!

jayoldschool
01-10-13, 04:50 PM
Have to close this since it is now an advertisement.

Jesda
01-10-13, 05:53 PM
I just sold a MINT black/black 77 CDV with a maroon cloth interior for $5100. It was driven fairly regularly and has ZERO issues physically or mechanically, but it had 76,000 miles.

It was also a one-owner car. If I waited longer I could have gotten $6k but I sold it to someone I know who appreciates this era of American motoring.

The CL ad is still up if you want to see pics:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/3518403339.html

This car is running exceptionally well. I'm going to miss it when it goes to the new owner this weekend.