: Replaceing spark plugs - STS 2005 V-6 Sport model

STS2005owner
09-13-11, 08:23 PM
Hi all,
I'm a new owner of a 2005 STS and when I looked under the hood I saw this big engine cover. I've been trying to figure out how to remove it; NO LUCK YET!

Even after I determine how to do that, I still won't know how to replace the spark plugs after having read & heard about the head gasket. I don't even want to think about having to go through such an ordeal just to replace plugs. That's rediculous!!!

I just traded my Dodge Caravan of 11 years and really miss it because I always repaired my own vehicle. I don't trust others!!!

So, does anybody have any info on removing that big Silver cover & then tackling the Spark Plugs replacement?

Also, what type plugs are best for my vehicle? 2005 STS Sport V-6.

Thanks all,

STSowner

KRSTS
09-13-11, 08:49 PM
Huh?

dkozloski
09-13-11, 10:36 PM
Take off the caps and give it a yank.

C&C
09-14-11, 05:55 AM
There are a couple of ball and socket connectors that hold the cover on. If the cover hasn't been off in a while, they may stick. As dk said; take off the oil cap and give it a tug. When I reattached mine I cleaned out the socket and applied a little silicone grease (to facilitate easier subsequent removal).

STS2005owner
09-16-11, 03:14 PM
Thanks much: dkozloski & C&C. Appreciate detailed quick response. Hope to ask & assist as much as possible.
I'm entering the wealm of computerized autos. It's going to be expensive and educational.

Have a great day,
STS2005owner

Delta
09-17-11, 06:55 PM
there are no headgasket issues on the v6...

to replace the plugs, you simply take off the intake - 6 13mm bolts - the rear one could be a little tricky to get to. there may be a bracket on the rear of the intake with 2 13mm bolts in it too. remove the various 10mm bolts that secure the purge solenoid, evap lines, etc. pull directly up when removing the intake, dont pull forward or back because you may bend the intake gaskets. remove the coils - 1 10mm per coil - and pull them out. tada, you're to the plugs. an extension and a 7/8" socket and they're out.