: Relocated Batt to the rear

Naf
09-13-11, 06:32 AM
Here is a pic of my attempt to relocate the batt to the rear. I used the same method as the BMW where i connected the ground wires to the chassis and did a direct positive to the engine bay.

Fair i added 5lb due to the weight of the wires but with a batt that weighs 9lb i am not gonna complain...

I also added a cut off switch for those long terminal parkings so no one tries to rip off my ride...

AAIIIC
09-13-11, 12:07 PM
That has drastically changed the appearance of your car, so it's good you posted this in the Appearance Mods forum!

Have you started the car yet with that configuration? What wire gauge did you use?

Rakenjevnk
09-13-11, 06:44 PM
Has anyone tried to relocate the battery to that "spare tire" area in the trunk? I think that would be nifty and you wouldn't have to cut too much.

Maybe you did put it in the spare tire thingy? now that I stare at the picture long enough I'm trippin out!

CancerJCC
09-13-11, 09:12 PM
Has anyone tried to relocate the battery to that "spare tire" area in the trunk? I think that would be nifty and you wouldn't have to cut too much.

Maybe you did put it in the spare tire thingy? now that I stare at the picture long enough I'm trippin out!

Lol no its on the side. Although I certainly see your POV.

bassillac
09-13-11, 09:51 PM
What Guage cable did you use and how long is the run? (cable length) How did you splice/connect to the factory positive? These
batteries are very cool but at $2000 out of reach for most americans. Thanks for sharing....

crankedupforit
09-14-11, 12:07 AM
These
batteries are very cool but at $2000 out of reach for most americans. Thanks for sharing....

.......Americans ?? I'd guess that these batteries were not designed for export to countries where it is believed people have lots of money :confused:. Nice setup Naf. Looks very tidy back there. The lithium is a bit over the top but guys wanting the other Braille options can get some ideas from your set up. Yes as Bassillac said please give us the details on the cables.

Naf
09-14-11, 03:53 AM
I used a 2 gauge multistrand high flex wire..This is my second Lithium battery, the first one died and this almost bit the dust due to the excessive heat in the engine bay. Thats the main reason for the relocation.

I have started the car three times but am gonna have to put in a capacitor in the engine bay to help with the current draw.

I raised my tub to be shallower than stock for more vacuum in the rear of the car,

I have a modified Specter spoiler in the works with a CF wicker that is adjustable.

Naf
09-14-11, 03:55 AM
What Guage cable did you use and how long is the run? (cable length) How did you splice/connect to the factory positive? These

I will snap a couple pics of the engine bay so you may see how i connected the positive in.

I actually used the Casper relocation kit. Simple and effective. I did reuse the stock positive wires for safety.

kevm14
09-14-11, 10:30 PM
How can a Li-Ion battery possibly be charged safely and effectively from a simple alternator? Is there a smart charging circuit in series?

rand49er
09-14-11, 11:43 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Appearance Section?

Wait ... what?

Naf
09-15-11, 02:33 AM
How can a Li-Ion battery possibly be charged safely and effectively from a simple alternator? Is there a smart charging circuit in series?

There are a series of small batteries in the battery so charging them to 12v isnt a problem. I took apart my 128L and found this out...It couldnt be saved and Braille was seein $$$ when they told me how much it will cost to repair.

Rander i thought the same thing, till someone made a remark about how it didnt alter the exterior look of the car...Needless to say it has been done and looks like it came this way from the dealer

Naf
09-19-11, 08:05 AM
Grounding the car makes the biggest difference. Had half the car with speaker and the other half not. Also the idle wasnt smooth at all. I added two more cables. One from the passenger side body to the center block for the engine, and one from the drivers side to the same block.

Idle is ultra smooth, and the radio is hesss free. Will be installin a 10 farad capacitor for better electronic filteration and more power

54inches
10-09-11, 08:33 PM
Can you post up that engine bay photo and how you ran all of your wires, mounted your battery and your extra grounds?

Thanks!

54inches
11-03-12, 02:08 AM
I waited patiently about a year for a photos; think you could get it up in the next 2-3 years?