: Woodhouse Event Pics

SPEED74V
09-12-11, 12:02 PM
I went to a track day at MPH Motorsports Track in Hastings, NE this last weekend and here are a couple pics and my thoughts.

The car ran and handled great, especially with the NT01 tires and TSW rims. There was a lot of Porsche's at this event and the V was in the mix and holding its own with the Cayman S & GT-3's.

I had stock brakes and pads. I never got brake fade on the 30 min sessions. I think a better pad may help though. I left it in competitive mode but should have changed it to take everything off, as you can see, my back brakes worked quite a bit with the nannies on and the calipers got a little hot and changed color. I guess I will have silver calipers in the front and gold in the back now:D

The rear end fluid would get hot after about 20-25 min. I can see the need for a rear diff cooler, especially if you are running extended sessions on the track.

Overall I ran about 100 laps on a technical course and had a lot of fun. Now I just need to get the rubber off of my car from the sticky tires and get the fluids changed again. I am using Amsoil oil & diff fluid as well as Motul RFB600 for brake fluid. Can't wait to get back out on the track with headers & pulleys.

M5eater
09-13-11, 09:27 AM
Moar pics!

I'm not sure why either, but the V looks espically sexy in the second picture, the silver and graphite-ish rims beside the Viper all works perfectly.

Which amsoil product btw, do you also do UOAs? I would be interested to see how it has held-up after some sessions if you're using the Consumer-grade Gold stuff--the diff oil specificlly, as iirc the temp warning comes on post 300F. if it has broken down significantly, that does not bode well for people on inferior OE fluid I'm sure.

SPEED74V
09-13-11, 12:06 PM
Moar pics!

I'm not sure why either, but the V looks espically sexy in the second picture, the silver and graphite-ish rims beside the Viper all works perfectly.

Which amsoil product btw, do you also do UOAs? I would be interested to see how it has held-up after some sessions if you're using the Consumer-grade Gold stuff--the diff oil specificlly, as iirc the temp warning comes on post 300F. if it has broken down significantly, that does not bode well for people on inferior OE fluid I'm sure.

I am using the Signature Series 5W-30 and the rear gear is the Extreme 75W-90. I haven't sent anything in for testing but I will be changing the fluid this week and see what it looks like. I can say that it ran perfect all weekend and it was mid 80's out. I didn't really notice heat soak at all, as my morning times and afternoon times were pretty consistent (within a 1 second recorded with a transponder). I attached a couple more pics but should have some decent pics from the crows nest above the track when photographer posts their pictures. I posted a track map too.

dvandentop
09-13-11, 01:51 PM
damn you for joining the gold caliper club before i got to!

dvandentop
09-13-11, 01:54 PM
how did you do for times, the v is really stable even with all the tracion aids off, did you remember to hit the shocks into sport mode on each restart of the car? so many things to remember when getting ready on the track.

compared to my vette it felt alot less twitch due to bigger body i am guessing but it was a good feeling, glad everyone had fun wish i coulda made it

SPEED74V
09-13-11, 03:17 PM
how did you do for times, the v is really stable even with all the tracion aids off, did you remember to hit the shocks into sport mode on each restart of the car? so many things to remember when getting ready on the track.

compared to my vette it felt alot less twitch due to bigger body i am guessing but it was a good feeling, glad everyone had fun wish i coulda made it

I did remember to put it in sport. I was running pretty consistent 1:47's - my best being a 1:47.45. Most of the Porche Cayman's were running between 1:45-1:49's. Same with the GT3's. Mark ran a 1:39.33 with his Z06 Carbon. I think I can get the times down with the aids off and a little more power to the wheels. Are you going to be able to make it on the 3rd of Oct.? It should be a good time again!!

SPEED74V
09-13-11, 03:19 PM
damn you for joining the gold caliper club before i got to!
LOL - I just saw your post:D

dvandentop
09-13-11, 05:42 PM
awesome sounds like a good time, i am going to try to make it there but cant say for sure, sounds like you got a ton of track time for the 2 days. the stock brake pads are acutally pretty decent but damn spendy for new ones compared to some hawks etc..

how did the front edge of front tires hold up??

M5eater
09-13-11, 06:42 PM
I am using the Signature Series 5W-30 and the rear gear is the Extreme 75W-90. I haven't sent anything in for testing but I will be changing the fluid this week and see what it looks like. I can say that it ran perfect all weekend and it was mid 80's out. I didn't really notice heat soak at all, as my morning times and afternoon times were pretty consistent (within a 1 second recorded with a transponder). I attached a couple more pics but should have some decent pics from the crows nest above the track when photographer posts their pictures. I posted a track map too.

you're even running the puny stock weight? now you *have* to send your changes to Blackstone.

SPEED74V
09-13-11, 09:41 PM
awesome sounds like a good time, i am going to try to make it there but cant say for sure, sounds like you got a ton of track time for the 2 days. the stock brake pads are acutally pretty decent but damn spendy for new ones compared to some hawks etc..

how did the front edge of front tires hold up??

The NT01's did very well. Fronts wore a little more than the back but since they are the same size I will rotate them next time at the track. I didn't get any wear over the front shoulder of the tire, so that was good. Maybe I need to push it a little more:) I'll probably end up getting some EBC Yellowstuff Pads when the stock ones go.

you're even running the puny stock weight? now you *have* to send your changes to Blackstone.

I thought about using different weight but went with a "warranty" weight just in case, since I am still stock....for now. I'll check into sending it in.

dvandentop
09-13-11, 10:58 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150312506852737.352619.167968157736&type=1

some more pics

SPEED74V
09-14-11, 08:25 AM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150312506852737.352619.167968157736&type=1

some more pics

Awesome!! Thanks for the link

M5eater
09-14-11, 09:20 AM
I thought about using different weight but went with a "warranty" weight just in case, since I am still stock....for now. I'll check into sending it in.
Is it Dexos 1 / Gm4817 approved anyway though?

SPEED74V
09-14-11, 06:53 PM
Is it Dexos 1 / Gm4817 approved anyway though?

Yep - it says it on the side of the bottle.

On a side note - the tech from the dealership called and said the rear end fluid stunk up the whole service bay and looked pretty bad. I had the whole rear end replaced a month ago and so I left the stock fluid that came in it, in there at the track. I had them replace it with the Amsoil stuff today, so I feel better now.

M5eater
09-14-11, 07:33 PM
Yep - it says it on the side of the bottle.
Do I need to go there or were you being sarcastic? :P

On a side note - the tech from the dealership called and said the rear end fluid stunk up the whole service bay and looked pretty bad. I had the whole rear end replaced a month ago and so I left the stock fluid that came in it, in there at the track. I had them replace it with the Amsoil stuff today, so I feel better now.

gear oil always smells like death, and there's no filtration in the rear-end, so it always looks ''bad'' . That doesn't mean that 300degree heat cycles didn't kill it, but that's why I suggested some UOA's to get a numbers breakdown. In any case, I wouldn't have left it in there either.

SPEED74V
09-14-11, 09:03 PM
Do I need to go there or were you being sarcastic? :P

gear oil always smells like death, and there's no filtration in the rear-end, so it always looks ''bad'' . That doesn't mean that 300degree heat cycles didn't kill it, but that's why I suggested some UOA's to get a numbers breakdown. In any case, I wouldn't have left it in there either.

:DSarcasm

I am going to get the front rotors worked on tomorrow - if no good - I will have to buy some new fronts.

dvandentop
09-15-11, 10:13 AM
whats up with front brake rotors?

mine still look great after 1 day at mam

M5eater
09-15-11, 10:22 AM

I would assume they're cracked like everyone else that drives pretty hard on them. There are pictures of 2piece rotors with fractures on the surface in here too. IIRC they've all ran some DTC 60/70s in order to crack them though, I haven't seen OE pads crack rotors.

SPEED74V
09-16-11, 10:09 AM

Not cracked just warped / spotted a little bit. I took it to the Subaru dealer in town and had them turn them with their on-car lathe. They are all good now. I think the 9 + 30min sessions had something to do with it, as we usually only run 20 min per session at MAM. Will be looking at some new front rotors soon though, I'm sure.

M5eater
09-18-11, 10:01 AM
off topic--- did you have to add LS modifier to the extreme gear oil?

SPEED74V
09-19-11, 04:41 PM
off topic--- did you have to add LS modifier to the extreme gear oil?

Yep - I added the LS Modifier to the Extreme Gear Oil. Had it changed and all is good.