: VSS Hook up for Retro-fit Nav (2005 STS)

orange57
09-11-11, 11:28 PM
So I got my nav installed, and the theftlock taken care of. Installed the GPS Antenna up under the top dash panel, plenty of room for the antenna there. Now I need to get the VSS hooked up, as my Nav is stuck facing east ha ha.

I did not get any wiring harness with the Nav unit i bought, but I did put a Lockpick on order. Will I be able to tap into the VSS when I install the lock pick? Or am I still going to need another connector for the back of the Nav unit.

Thanks,
matt

ddalder
09-11-11, 11:53 PM
Okay, so here is some information I posted about regarding the VSS signal. Now that I've been deeper into the dash, you should only need to remove the small panel on the end of the dash.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/181473-added-nav-non-nav-sts-100-a-14.html#post2510548

Here is some information on where it connects to the back of the radio.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/181473-added-nav-non-nav-sts-100-a-14.html#post2506920

Here is a photo one of the other members posted showing a picture of the connector in question.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/181473-added-nav-non-nav-sts-100-a-15.html#post2524972

ddalder
09-12-11, 12:03 AM
Just to note, the photo looks a little deceiving. The wire labelled 'VSS' looks like the second wire in from the end. It's not. It's actually the brown wire on the very end of row 'C'.

orange57
09-12-11, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the reply and the clarification on the VSS wire. I definitely would have tapped into the wrong wire there. Looking at the picture and tracing the wire I can see where it was spliced into. I think i'm going to have to wait until I get a lock pick to hook up the VSS. I don't have the plugs that go into the back for it. Unless those connectors can be had cheap. I'll have to take a look at it.

Thanks again,
matt

JediSamreye
11-05-11, 01:07 PM
Im sorry I dont mean to bring back a dead post here, but i just bought the nav unit, im looking to do this. There is only one thing that is confusing me alittle and its the VSS cable. So i understand that there is a place to tap under the dash, but where am i connecting it to the navigation unit? I am thinking that the wire is already in the pre existing harness. Am I cutting it from the cars harness a couple inches back and then running a custom cable to the vss cable under the dash? If so I think I can get this. Thanks so much for the help

ddalder
11-05-11, 05:47 PM
If you bought the nav radio from a wrecker and received pigtails with it, the wire will be in the segments they included. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my FSM right now so I can't tell you immediately which connector/terminal it will go to in the nav radio. If you are hoping the wiring is already in the vehicle harness at the existing radio connectors, it won't be.

JediSamreye
11-05-11, 07:16 PM
So another question here, this VSS cable is just to prevent the navigation from looking east? thats all? like does it fully function just the display portion is incorrect? Thanks for the quick reply/

This is another random question you might know, my current radio has an active XM subscription, am i going to loose that functionality or was Xm built into all units? I know that the antenna and brain box for xm are off site in the car, so i know they will still be there, so i need to know what. Also will i have to call XM and tell them the deck has changed or is that tied to the brain box and the head unit is just a player.

ddalder
11-05-11, 07:57 PM
The Vehicle Speed Signal is used as another input (in addition to the satelite signal) when determining vehicle movement. Without it, you'll also find the display isn't as smooth.

There is a chance if the donor vehicle didn't have XM radio (which is extremely unlikely) then you would need to have the new radio configured to talk with the XM module. In any event, unless the XM receiver module itself is ever changed, there are no calls necessary to change/update your subscription. Just about all GM radios after about 2003 were built 'XM Ready'. The way you can usually tell is if the radio has a 'BAND' button it is XM ready. If it has an AM/FM button then it isn't.

JediSamreye
11-06-11, 02:15 AM
Thank you so much! I have been thinking I got way over my head with this, this seems pretty simple. Im paying to have the VSS ran, but I have been talking to my friend who is a car audio installer for a living and is MECP certified and all and he says that most all GPS attennas are the same thing so as long as I find one that plugs in correctly then it should work.

Thanks again very very much for your very quick and very helpful replies on here

EChas3
11-06-11, 09:12 PM
Make sure to get the right GPS antenna for the STS. Maybe any pink one would work but isn't a couple bucks is worth getting the right one?

JediSamreye
11-07-11, 03:33 AM
I would actually be getting the other antenna for free. So if it does work great! But im not very confident in it to be honest. If he can get me one that is free vs all the over 100 dollar ones im finding online. Ill be fine with that