: HELP HELP HELP Aftermarket amp help

joemalebranche
09-11-11, 07:23 PM
I have a 2005 STS and am installing an amp and subs. I have eveything run and ready to go except I need to know which wire is for the remote turn on for the bose amp. I need to hook up the remote turn on for my aftermarket amp and want to use the wires that are already in the bose amp to tap into. I have already looked up the skematic and that didnt help me at all. Either i need the amp remote turn on wire or another wire in the trunk I can tap into.

Thanks

Joe
joemalebranche@comcast.net

ddalder
09-11-11, 08:21 PM
Welcome to the age of new cars. The amp is always powered, regardless of what state the ignition is in. This is true of virtually every module in the car. If I'm not mistaken, these amps do not have a remote turn-on wire, they are commanded on/off over the vehicle data bus. There was another member trying to find "accessory" power in the back to turn on/off a set of headrest DVD players and as I recall, there wasn't much there. Power moding is a lot different than previous vehicles. The amp wiring will also vary based on whether you have an 8 speaker or 15 speaker configuration.

ddalder
09-11-11, 08:32 PM
The antenna module "may" be the only place you might easily find the signal you want. The radio turns this module on/off with a dedicated wire. I've never tested it in the STS so I'm not sure how it is configured. Some vehicles only turn on the antenna module when you select AM or FM. Others seem to turn it on whenever the radio is on. This is located in the rear of the vehicle above the headliner.

AnderbrA
09-12-11, 11:16 AM
You could probably find something in the rear fuse boxes under the seat that would work. I used the Fuel Pump Relay, so amp turns on with the car, but not with accessory. I hardly use accessory mode.

ddalder
09-12-11, 11:42 AM
You could probably find something in the rear fuse boxes under the seat that would work. I used the Fuel Pump Relay, so amp turns on with the car, but not with accessory. I hardly use accessory mode.
Personally, I would not tie into the fuel pump circuit. If your amp suffers a failure and disables this circuit, you might find yourself stalled in the middle of an intersection. I'd hate to be turning across traffic and get T-boned because my fuel pump cut out. In these newer vehicles, it's not always a straight forward task. I've been through all the signals in the rear fuse blocks and there doesn't seem to be anything that is ignition switched. At least nothing you should tie into.

hammer489
09-12-11, 09:21 PM
There is an empty ignition on socket under the rear seat. Sorry, I don't remember driver or passenger but I know one is there. Bust out the 12v test light and look for a single sided socket. Wrap your remote turn on wire around the other end of the fuse.

ddalder
09-12-11, 11:18 PM
There may be a location where you can tap into the "IGN 3" signal. This provides a 12V signal to several modules so they know if the car is on. This is basically what you're looking for. This is part of a splice pack integral to the the LR fuse block. There should be several brown wires connected to this area. As for wrapping the wire around the fuse, this is basically just bad advice. Either make a proper connection or don't waste your time. This type of wiring causes problems sooner or later and in some cases is responsible for vehicles burning up.

hammer489
09-13-11, 07:48 PM
There may be a location where you can tap into the "IGN 3" signal. This provides a 12V signal to several modules so they know if the car is on. This is basically what you're looking for. This is part of a splice pack integral to the the LR fuse block. There should be several brown wires connected to this area. As for wrapping the wire around the fuse, this is basically just bad advice. Either make a proper connection or don't waste your time. This type of wiring causes problems sooner or later and in some cases is responsible for vehicles burning up.

Alas...wrapping the wire around the OTHER end of the fuse provdes fused power to the remote turn on wire. A short circuit would cause the fuse to blow. If you are looking for a "proper" connection, solder the wire to the fused side of the fuse, and apply heat shrink tubing to the exposed metal surface.

Bad advice, eh?

ddalder
09-13-11, 07:54 PM
Alas...wrapping the wire around the OTHER end of the fuse provdes fused power to the remote turn on wire. A short circuit would cause the fuse to blow. If you are looking for a "proper" connection, solder the wire to the fused side of the fuse, and apply heat shrink tubing to the exposed metal surface.

Bad advice, eh?
Yes, I understood what you said, and yes it's still bad advice.

hammer489
09-13-11, 08:10 PM
Yes, I understood what you said, and yes it's still bad advice.

And I disagree that your car will burst into flames on the fused side of a fuse. I guess we agree to disagree.

And you better make sure your "IGN 3" tap is properly sheilded and fused as well.

ddalder
09-13-11, 09:29 PM
If the wiring is correctly identified, a proper splice into an IGN-3 wire from this location will not require additional fusing as it will already be protected as part of Circuit #41. It is always important to ensure circuits are fused properly, and in the correct location. Too many times I've seen someone run wires across the vehicle to a fuse at the accessory item being installed. The other part to this is to make correct, well soldered and insulated connections. Nowhere in the automotive industry that I'm aware of it it acceptable practice to wrap wires around contacts or solder to fuse/relay terminals (not to say this practice isn't followed). Many aftermarket accessory installers have disagreed with me on this point.

Unfortunately, IGN-3 is only active while the vehicle is running. In this case, it will eliminate using the amp when the car is in Accessory mode (probably not a great idea to be running an extra amp without the car running anyway). IGN-1, which is a signal active in Accessory or Run is available at the under hood fuse block. This is the problem the other member had when connecting DVD players into the rear fuse block.

EChas3
09-21-11, 09:53 PM
If the Bose 15.1 isn't good enough, you must be installing a high-current amp. Run dedicated wiring and a relay or don't bother.