: Question on Wheel/Tires/etc.

Multimoodia
09-11-11, 06:45 PM
Good afternoon everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I've tried searching and I am either missing the right combination of words or keep missing the correct post.

I have a 2006 STS4 w/18" factory wheels. The tires for this are staggered (P235/50ZR18 front, P255/45ZR18 rear).

I am planning on acquiring new wheels to be used for summer wheels and will be taking the current ones and using them for winter.

My questions are as follows:

1) I have seen mention on here about front only wheel and rear only wheels. I have always made sure that I kept the wheels at their original location when putting new tires on the wheels, but I have to admit I have never actually held a bare wheel in my hands so I do not recall if the wheel is in fact wider. Is this so?

2) Is the offset for the wheels the same for both front and rear? What is it supposed to be?

3) On the case of buying new winter tires. I have noticed there are not terribly many out there for the Cadillac, I did come across some Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D that would be able to fit the Cadillac. True, they are only V series rather than Z, but typically that does not crush performance too terribly badly.

I think that's the end of my questions, although doubtless something else will occur to me later. Regardless I appreciate any help anyone can provide here.

Thanks,

AllWheelEric
09-11-11, 06:59 PM
The 18" OEM wheels are identically sized on all 4 corners. This is not true of some of the 17" wheels. So you could choose to retain the original sizes or pick one and use it on all 4. I use 255/45/18 Continental DWS all around. That is not a winter tire, but a decent all-weather tire.

mckellyb
09-11-11, 07:05 PM
Here's another strong vote for the Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires. I'd not have believed it, before, but they're near-perfect for this car.

I'm on the staggered 17" tires, 235/50's front, 255/45's rear, but will likely put the same 235/50/17's all the way around when I replace 'em, just for rotation purposes.

Hoosier24
09-15-11, 11:40 AM
I've had my 09 rwd about 3 weeks and love it. Winter is coming and i'm about to start shopping for snow tires and rims. I have the oem 18's now and would like to go with 17" rims and a skinnier snow tire any recommendations? Also will downsizing my whhels and tires throw off the traction control?
Thanks in advance