: New V owner in Phoenix + some questions

Nate37AZ
09-11-11, 01:48 AM
Hey all,

Just picked up this new-to-me 05 V last week. It had 88,000 miles when I bought it and looks to be completely stock. So far I love it. :thumbsup: I'm in the middle of a 1000-mile roadtrip and the car has been awesome so far!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/96cz28/CTS-V/DSCN2355.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m230/96cz28/CTS-V/DSCN2356.jpg

So one question that I haven't been able to find an answer to on here. The car has had some strange noise that I hadn't been able to pin down until today. It is a rattle/clattering noise that only occurs when the clutch pedal is all the way out. If I push the pedal in, the noise goes away. This definitely happens when the car is in neutral, but I can also hear it if I'm idling in gear. The clutch otherwise seems to be fine (only a tiny bit of chatter when going in to 1st), but I will do the 6th-gear clutch-slip test that was suggested on here tomorrow. Any ideas what this noise could be? Would bleeding the clutch lines help?

Thanks!

AmigoBB
09-12-11, 05:51 PM
I'm interested in this answer as my car (07 V) seems to be doing the same at around 60,000 miles. I live in Scottsdale, maybe it is all the dust storm (haboobs) wreaking havoc on our cars, jk. But seriously, six dust storms this summer, come on!

rand49er
09-12-11, 06:06 PM
Throwout bearing?

EdmundGTP
09-12-11, 06:07 PM
Throwout bearing?

That'd be my guess..

Nate37AZ
09-13-11, 02:48 AM
I'm interested in this answer as my car (07 V) seems to be doing the same at around 60,000 miles. I live in Scottsdale, maybe it is all the dust storm (haboobs) wreaking havoc on our cars, jk. But seriously, six dust storms this summer, come on!

No kidding, this summer has been pretty bad!

In post #4 of this thread, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/187681-2005-cts-v-vibration-whining-noise.html, I found this bit from the service manual:

The checklist in the service manual for Clutch Rattle, with clutch engaged or disengaged, is as follows:
1. Idle rattle clutch engaged replace engine flywheel due to faulty springs.

I also found this article, which suggests that it might actually be the pressure plate: http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1999/April/10.html

Their explanation seems a little weak to me, but I don't have a ton of experience with these things. The symptoms in that article are also exactly what I'm experiencing (except it's not really a tick noise). Any opinions? I guess either way you have to pull the trans, so at that point you can just look at the PP and see if it's bent, and then replace that and/or the throwout bearing and/or the flywheel.

Skidmarcx
09-15-11, 03:26 PM
Could be a worn throwout bearing, but normally you'd get a definite noise while disengaging the clutch... the pressure plate is most likely warped... I know mine is and I've got 65000 miles... chances are you'll need a clutch soon with that mileage anyways...

Oh and welcome to the V family :) I'm over in north Glendale

CTSV_Rob
09-15-11, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the forum and nice ride.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass flywheel. If you still have that flywheel installed (since you pointed out it seems all stock then it probably is) this could be the problem. I was a bit surprised when I pulled mine how much play it had and there was only 6,000 miles on it. I am no expert but I would think that with the clutch pedal out adn in neutral it is probably not the throwout bearing since it shouldn't even be touching the pressure plate but I could be wrong on this.

So my 2 guesses:
1- Bad flywheel
2- Bad pressure plate

BTW, that flywheel by itself weighs just short of 50 pounds by itself. you can shave a little weight off of the V and make it a lot more fun to drive by changing that.

Welcome to Mod Hell!!!

Nate37AZ
09-16-11, 03:10 AM
Welcome to the forum and nice ride.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass flywheel. If you still have that flywheel installed (since you pointed out it seems all stock then it probably is) this could be the problem. I was a bit surprised when I pulled mine how much play it had and there was only 6,000 miles on it. I am no expert but I would think that with the clutch pedal out adn in neutral it is probably not the throwout bearing since it shouldn't even be touching the pressure plate but I could be wrong on this.

So my 2 guesses:
1- Bad flywheel
2- Bad pressure plate

BTW, that flywheel by itself weighs just short of 50 pounds by itself. you can shave a little weight off of the V and make it a lot more fun to drive by changing that.

Welcome to Mod Hell!!!

Thanks, this seems like a pretty sound explanation to me. Any reason why it might be a bad idea to continue driving it like this for a few months? I'd like to get a few other little things taken care of before I drop a big wad of cash on a new clutch/FW/PP. The LS7 setup looks like a nice way to go, though. Is the reliability as good or better than the stock setup?

Oh, and to the other Phoenix people, are there any local V meetups? It would be cool to get to know a few others with this car...

CTSV_Rob
09-16-11, 08:42 PM
I don't know how loud it is so hard to say. I would guess you would be fine but if you want to be sure I would take it to a shop you trust and see what they think.

I was thinking about the LS7 clutch and I think it's okay but when I pull the trigger I am pretty sure it will be the LS9 setup. no spacers required and you can use the stock slave cylinder design.

I have heard good things about this setup.
http://store.katechengines.com/ls9r-clutch-for-cadillac-cts-v-p248.aspx

I have heard the clutch feels stock but it can hold some serious power.

AmigoBB
09-16-11, 08:43 PM
When it drops a few more degrees, Pavillions! I know I told some forum people I would see them there this summer. Hopefully when it cools down a bit I won't be able to use the weather as an excuse.

Phx04CTSV
09-16-11, 11:40 PM
I'm down for a trip over to the Pavillions! Just post the date or PM me.

Nate37AZ
09-18-11, 02:33 AM
That would be cool with me. I've never actually been out there, might as well check it out.

Rob, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the LS9 clutch was an option; I'll have to do some reading on it. Seems like I had heard some issues with the LS7 slave having problems, so maybe this is the way to go.