: Vht reverse light guidance, weird color tint???

CadillacKid12
09-11-11, 01:16 AM
hey i put on 5 coats of VHT tonight to my reverse light and came out amazing on the outside, it is black to match everything else just like i wanted. bad thing is when the reverse light is activated, the lens will glow a cranberry color, not smoked nor white color. was wondering if anybody that has VHT sprayed their reverse lights had the same problem as my 3rd brake light, 2 tails and side markers came out great and have no problem

here is my original post showing my problem if you can please take the time to read, thanks again

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/239943-caddykid-confused-why-his-reverse-lights.html

CadzillaTN
09-11-11, 01:59 AM
I posted in that thread. Theres a thread somewhere on here I did a couple years ago.

Bottom line, VHT is crap. You can only do one light coat or it will look that way. You'll need to get them painted with real paint or strip it all off and live with one light coat.

Or, look around for the regular cts lights that come smoked from the factory..They look good. I would go that route but I wanted them to match the body color.

CadillacKid12
09-11-11, 02:55 AM
ya i posted in apperance but wasnt sure so i put this in both, like i said in the other forum your tails are black and glossy, i love it, i couldnt get that but i kinda like the matte finish on mine u can see in my OP

what spray paint would i use? wouldnt the light still shine thru that and make a browish halogen color?

EdmundGTP
09-11-11, 03:01 PM
I used VHT on my reverse lights. Probably 4-5 coats on each, plus clear coat. I swapped out my reverse bulbs and used LED tower type bulbs instead of the regular incandescent. They light up with a blue-ish/white light color. Definitely not red at all.

And FYI, what cadzilla means by using "real paint" is not picking up some black rattle-can off the shelf. He's talking about going to a body shop and having them spray a mixture of black and clear coat, layering it on until the desired tint is achieved.

CadillacKid12
09-11-11, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=EdmundGTP;2712565]I used VHT on my reverse lights. Probably 4-5 coats on each, plus clear coat. I swapped out my reverse bulbs and used LED tower type bulbs instead of the regular incandescent. They light up with a blue-ish/white light color. Definitely not red at all.

And FYI, what cadzilla means by using "real paint" is not picking up some black rattle-can off the shelf. He's talking about going to a body shop and having them spray a mixture of black and clear coat, layering it on until the desired tint is achieved.[/QUOTE

ill take a blue white tint over a shit brown red color lol

thats what i was going to try lol thanks to you both..

paddilac
11-29-11, 07:50 PM
I used VHT on my reverse lights. Probably 4-5 coats on each, plus clear coat. I swapped out my reverse bulbs and used LED tower type bulbs instead of the regular incandescent. They light up with a blue-ish/white light color. Definitely not red at all.

Can you post a couple pics during the day and night with the lights on so we can all see how yours turned out?

It appears you're the only one that's achieved the look others had hoped for.