: Need a little help

NJALLDAY
09-10-11, 03:19 PM
So hears my problem, I got a 1986 fleetwood brougham ( thats not the problem lol) and its running rough at idle and the car is shaking at idle. Not all of the time but sometimes when I make a sharp left or right turn while I'm idling like pulling into my driveway the car will stall out. During acceleration at around 25 to 30 mph the car will start shuttering and feel like its ganna stall out. I thought it was torque converter shutter so I put some shutter cream in the trans and that seemed to help but it still does it slightly. It seems like the car is running pretty rich. The car itself has 90K on it with the 307 which I think you guys know that. I'm not real good with carbs so I dont know alot about what I should check and what should be replaced. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv, and fuel filter but after I was done it seemed to run a little worse. I found a few wires that a mouse or something chewed through, I fixed those. I didnt check for a vacuum leak yet but I will in a minute. I'm just running out of things to check and I dont know how to check the carb or whatever other parts that may need to be checked. O and I didnt replace the air cleaner temp sensor yet because I just found out what that was lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

pompste
09-10-11, 09:43 PM
So hears my problem, I got a 1986 fleetwood brougham ( thats not the problem lol) and its running rough at idle and the car is shaking at idle. Not all of the time but sometimes when I make a sharp left or right turn while I'm idling like pulling into my driveway the car will stall out. During acceleration at around 25 to 30 mph the car will start shuttering and feel like its ganna stall out. I thought it was torque converter shutter so I put some shutter cream in the trans and that seemed to help but it still does it slightly. It seems like the car is running pretty rich. The car itself has 90K on it with the 307 which I think you guys know that. I'm not real good with carbs so I dont know alot about what I should check and what should be replaced. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pcv, and fuel filter but after I was done it seemed to run a little worse. I found a few wires that a mouse or something chewed through, I fixed those. I didnt check for a vacuum leak yet but I will in a minute. I'm just running out of things to check and I dont know how to check the carb or whatever other parts that may need to be checked. O and I didnt replace the air cleaner temp sensor yet because I just found out what that was lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Seems this is your first post here--so welcome to the forum! Looks like you`ve covered all the bases trying to eliminate the shaking.How bad is the shaking? My '78 Deville shakes a bit at idle,but that`s to be expected with a carburetor.
Is your '86 Fleetwood carbureted or fuel injected?

sven914
09-10-11, 10:40 PM
^'86-89 are all carburetted...

I would replace all of the vacuum lines and make sure that are routed to the factory correct positions (over time they move). There's miles of hose under there if you can find one leak there are probably twenty more. Here is a vacuum schematic:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3489/1/33720000075_large.jpg

NJALLDAY
09-11-11, 02:09 AM
Seems this is your first post here--so welcome to the forum! Looks like you`ve covered all the bases trying to eliminate the shaking.How bad is the shaking? My '78 Deville shakes a bit at idle,but that`s to be expected with a carburetor. Is your '86 Fleetwood carbureted or fuel injected?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. The shaking is not your normal shake. It sounds like the car has a big cam in it. I used to have a 83 cutlass with a olds 350 in it, running a nice size cam and it didnt shake that much. It seems to be lacking alot of power. It stutters a little when you give it gas and the smell of the exhaust is like pure fuel. And like the guy down there said it has a carb.

I would replace all of the vacuum lines and make sure that are routed to the factory correct positions (over time they move). There's miles of hose under there if you can find one leak there are probably twenty more. Here is a vacuum schematic:

Thanks for the schematic. I will have to re line everything tomorrow and we'll see how that turns out.

csbuckn
09-11-11, 12:02 PM
Sounds like your not running on all cylinders. Maybe check to make sure your getting spark to every cylinder.

NJALLDAY
09-11-11, 03:13 PM
Sounds like your not running on all cylinders. Maybe check to make sure your getting spark to every cylinder.

Thats what I originally thought it was. I just didnt have a inline spark plug tester on me. Ganna pick on up today. I wanted to see which cylinder was the bad one so I started to take one plug off the cap at a time and see which one effected the rpm the most. And they all seemed to not change the idle. But I did only check like 4 of them becuase I kept shocking the crap out of myself, so today im going to get a tester

carnut
09-14-11, 08:43 PM
This car had a habit of the gas vapor canister purge valve failing. That would richen the mixture and cause rough running. I'm surprised you dont have a check engine light if, in fact, its too rich? The purge valve solenoid is on the vapor canister.