: Bad Drive Axle???

Steve 0-V-Man
09-10-11, 01:31 AM
So I took my 2004 CTS-V that I bought 3 weeks ago into the shop today for an oil change... much to my disliking they told me that the right drive axle and seal needed to be
replaced due to a leak (it doesn't seem to be a big leak since I have driven the car 2,500 miles since I bought it and they still said it had plenty of fluid after I asked them to check the level for me). The reason why I am writing this is because I would like a second opinion from you guys, do I really need a new drive axle or do I just need a seal??? :hmm:

Thanks!

Steve 0-V-Man
09-10-11, 01:35 AM
Also let me add the car still drives fine and doesn't make any abnormal noises... thought that might be some relevant information to add lol

darkman
09-10-11, 08:31 AM
I think you need: (a) a new shop; and (b) a seal - in that order.

(With that said, the labor for changing the seal is almost the same as the labor for replacing the axle because of the overlap in the two processes. So, if you do not have aftermarket axles already you might investigate one of those single-axle wheel hop solutions from GForce.)

PISNUOFF
09-10-11, 10:10 AM
I agree. Also, the aftermarket ones are cheaper than a new one from a dealer. The seal is less than $20 and is pretty easy to change. The first time you do it, it may take you about 1.5 to 2 hours. I have it down to 43 minutes. Lol

rjoffe
09-12-11, 09:09 AM
Are you sure it's leaking from the seal? Some V1's leaked from the drain at the top of the diff, and this may have leaked down the side right where the seal is at. You may want to clean it up real well, and take a look again to see where the fluid is located.

lollygagger8
09-12-11, 09:31 AM
If you are taking the axle out, you might as well replace it with something better.

:contract:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p8443-dss-1000hp-race-axles-300m27042707-stop-wheelhop-21.html