: Remove Front Bumper / Facia

jpoole
09-09-11, 07:50 PM
Searched but can't find. Do you have to remove the front wheels to remove the front facia?

thanks

jft69z
09-09-11, 07:52 PM
I didn't.

jpoole
09-09-11, 07:56 PM
I was looking at the service manual and it said you had to. How did you remove yours?

jft69z
09-09-11, 08:14 PM
First I removed all the attaching hardware under the hood, put the car up on the lift and then removed all the attachment stuff underneath. There are a couple of push pins just ahead of the front wheels that attach the wheel well you need to remove. You can just turn the wheels to get them off (instead of removing the wheels). There are also a couple of hidden bolts right above that point that attach the fascia to the front fender. Just use a long extension with a socket to get them out (one per side). After you get the bolts off, just pull at the fascia near the fender to release it from the fender brackets. It will just "snap" off. Be careful because these are the only things holding the fascia on at this point. It's probably a good idea to leave the 2 bolts up on the core support loosely attached so the fascia doesn't fall off.

When you get the lower panels off you will need to unplug the fog lamp harness and the brake cooling ducts will pop right out. On the Coupe, you will also need to deal with the headlamp washer hoses. Just clamp it off so the fluid doesn't drain out, remove the hose at the "y" connector and keep on going. Those hoses that go to the washer nozzle itself also loop around the bumpers foam barrier so be careful when removing the bumper to move these out of the way or the hoses will "hook" on the bumper reinforcement bar and you won't be able to pull the fascia off.

It's also a good idea to put a couple of layers of masking tape on the fender (horizontally) just above where the fascia mates with it so the bumper doesn't scuff the fenders paint when you are pulling the bumper off. A couple of rows of 2 inch tape will do just fine. Any questions just PM me & I'll call you & walk you right thru it. It's really easier than it sounds

Joe

jpoole
09-09-11, 08:17 PM
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it.

jft69z
09-09-11, 08:30 PM
No problem. I just did it last week when I painted the grill black.

DONRAU
09-09-11, 09:56 PM
Sounds easy enough... But for a first timer like myself (I'd like to change HID's to 6500 or 8000 K) a step by step YouTube Vid would be great to actually see everything done.

Is there one?

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:12 AM
No problem. I just did it last week when I painted the grill black.I PlastiDipped mine. Last week.

PeteK
09-11-11, 11:44 AM
Hennessey has an instructional PDF for removing the front clip here:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54734705425182/CTSV-heat-exchanger.pdf

jft69z
09-11-11, 12:44 PM
I PlastiDipped mine. Last week.

I ended up doing a light glass bead blast to rough up the chrome plating on the grille surface,a quick coat of dark sealer and then proceeded with a base/clear finish. I left the chrome surround trim alone, and painted the grill only. Just another day at the shop for me though as I do a lot of restorations & collision repairs here.

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:41 PM
I ended up doing a light glass bead blast to rough up the chrome plating on the grille surface,a quick coat of dark sealer and then proceeded with a base/clear finish. I left the chrome surround trim alone, and painted the grill only. Just another day at the shop for me though as I do a lot of restorations & collision repairs here.You should charge us for yo services...

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:41 PM
Hennessey has an instructional PDF for removing the front clip here:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54734705425182/CTSV-heat-exchanger.pdfThat is what I used.

jft69z
09-11-11, 06:34 PM
You should charge us for yo services...

Thanks for the offer, however I can barely keep up with the workload that I have now. I wouldn't want to have people wait a week or two to get their parts/car back on the road. It was bad enough when my car was off the road for a couple of days when I painted it, especially since the weather channel got it wrong and it turned out to be very nice instead of what they predicted. At least it was winter time when I painted the front lower pieces, brake ducts, rear spoiler & tail lights.

M5eater
09-12-11, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the offer, however I can barely keep up with the workload that I have now. I wouldn't want to have people wait a week or two to get their parts/car back on the road. It was bad enough when my car was off the road for a couple of days when I painted it, especially since the weather channel got it wrong and it turned out to be very nice instead of what they predicted. At least it was winter time when I painted the front lower pieces, brake ducts, rear spoiler & tail lights.
There are still people around that understand the value of a quality product, and understand that it actually requires time to do. I hope one of these days you'll grace us with your expertise. I for one, don't know of any good shops that I would let touch my V within 100 miles of me, and that usually leads for me doing it, which usually leads to it taking twice as long as it should.

DoingOK
09-12-11, 08:01 PM
^^what he said. I live close to you.

M5eater
09-12-11, 08:09 PM
^^what he said. I live close to you.
From what he's told me, he genuinely is completely booked and it's simply unrealistic for him to do anything on the side.

Speedtrapped
09-12-11, 08:42 PM
I PlastiDipped mine. Last week.
Love the plasti dip. Mine looks fantastic, 1 month in so far. Cheap mod for sure.

thebigjimsho
09-12-11, 09:19 PM
Love the plasti dip. Mine looks fantastic, 1 month in so far. Cheap mod for sure.And since it's a coating, if it ever does get gouged, touchup should be seamless...

thebigjimsho
09-12-11, 09:20 PM
Just such a dumb name, tis all...