: Are we stuck with this new format?

qictrk
09-09-11, 06:56 PM
I just don't like it. What was wrong with the old one. Now, instead of scanning one section, I have to go back and scan 3 different sections, to see if there is anything I'm interested in. Can we have a poll? Cecil...........

tedcmiller
09-09-11, 07:02 PM
The "I got 5 more HP by changing...." are relegated to a separate forum. Good deal. I was sick of seeing that stuff. I am all for the new format.

thebigjimsho
09-09-11, 07:34 PM
I bitched like crazy when they did this to V1 a few years ago. They will not change it back. We'll have to deal with it....

dcc8203
09-09-11, 07:59 PM
I actually prefer having the different sections, coming from the LS1GTO and G8 Boards. Those boards had much greater segregation and granularity which allows you to focus on the areas that are of interest and make it easier to search for an answer to a specific question you have versus having one massive list that encompasses everything.

newcadman
09-09-11, 09:36 PM
FWIW, I 've been advised that " a lot of history" was lost when the server did the update and as a result there are previous threads that maybe missing as a result of the "fall out".

e6t
09-09-11, 11:13 PM
FWIW, I 've been advised that " a lot of history" was lost when the server did the update and as a result there are previous threads that maybe missing as a result of the "fall out".

well, its not like the threads were searchable anyway...

baabootoo
09-09-11, 11:48 PM
I LOVE it also! If you do a "Search Single Content Type", it works like "normal" too! :)

GM-4-LIFE
09-10-11, 12:42 AM
I hope they change it back too! I don't like it at all! I dont like missing any topics and now I have to go through all 3?!!! WTF!

Lord Cadillac
09-10-11, 02:31 AM

In our entire history, we've never lost a single discussion thread due to an upgrade, update or anything like that.

We went through the same thing years ago back when the first generation CTS-V forum was separated by category. On one hand, you do need to visit three different areas for the entire "scoupe" of what's going on concerning CTS-V discussions. On the other hand, if you're interested in performance, now there's one spot to look for what you're interested in - and nothing in between. The people wanting to discuss high performance modifications don't need to look in between threads of Lamborghini doors and 35" wheels. Believe me, it's only a matter of time before that comes into play. More realistically, you wont have to wade through discussions on cosmetic modifications if all you're interested in is performance.

It's just an extra mouse click and the discussions will be much more on topic.

newcadman
09-10-11, 10:22 AM
In our entire history, we've never lost a single discussion thread due to an upgrade, update or anything like that.

We went through the same thing years ago back when the first generation CTS-V forum was separated by category. On one hand, you do need to visit three different areas for the entire "scoupe" of what's going on concerning CTS-V discussions. On the other hand, if you're interested in performance, now there's one spot to look for what you're interested in - and nothing in between. The people wanting to discuss high performance modifications don't need to look in between threads of Lamborghini doors and 35" wheels. Believe me, it's only a matter of time before that comes into play. More realistically, you wont have to wade through discussions on cosmetic modifications if all you're interested in is performance.

It's just an extra mouse click and the discussions will be much more on topic.

With all due respect Lord Cadillac, might wish to check with moderator Florian with regards to the info he sent me. I was simply reporting on the info he sent me which was that a lot of history was lost when the server did the update and that a thread I had inquired about was " part of the fallout".

The Tony Show
09-10-11, 11:36 AM
You can find all threads you've started by going to your profile and choosing "view started threads".

Florian
09-10-11, 01:00 PM
I was under the impression that we had lost some topics (as I cant find them either) due to the upgrade....if not, then I dont have any idea what happened to the thread....

F

newcadman
09-10-11, 01:03 PM
You can find all threads you've started by going to your profile and choosing "view started threads".

Thank you

MotownPimp
09-11-11, 01:27 AM
Guys, Admins and mods just cannot help themselves. By nature, these guys are "every bean in the proper box" types. It just goes with the turf.

With no disrespect, of course, to our esteemed leaders!

:duck: :eyebrow: :peace:

thebigjimsho
09-11-11, 02:37 PM
well, its not like the threads were searchable anyway...You can find anything by searching on google. In fact, when a result is listed under the cadillacforums, there is an option to then search only within cadillacforums. Click on that and that's all you ever need. easy peasy...

Lord Cadillac
09-11-11, 03:13 PM
We're getting improved search functionality on Monday. So that should help as well.

mother
09-11-11, 03:23 PM
On one hand, you do need to visit three different areas for the entire "scoupe" of what's going on concerning CTS-V discussions. On the other hand, if you're interested in performance, now there's one spot to look for what you're interested in - and nothing in between.

If there was 5x the volume of posting on here I would definitely agree that subforums are the way to go. However the first page was almost always enough to cover all the active topics for a given day.

Lord Cadillac
09-11-11, 04:15 PM
If there was 5x the volume of posting on here I would definitely agree that subforums are the way to go. However the first page was almost always enough to cover all the active topics for a given day.

We recently increased our advertising budget quite a bit and are preparing for things to get much busier around here.

M5eater
09-12-11, 08:47 AM
You can find anything by searching on google. In fact, when a result is listed under the cadillacforums, there is an option to then search only within cadillacforums. Click on that and that's all you ever need. easy peasy...

You could also just use google and search via site: sorta what you were saying, but more direct.

In either case, Vbulletin search function has continued to amaze me on how useless it is. I only search via google anymore. it's faster, gets more results, and it's less querries on the host servers, it's a win-win for everyone .

Tedboss1
09-12-11, 10:07 AM
We just have to get use to the new format.
What is very important that the treads are posted in the right category.
For example :
"Help need drag wheels" thread is still located in the "Performance mod section"

Lord Cadillac
09-12-11, 10:24 AM
You could also just use google and search via site: sorta what you were saying, but more direct.

In either case, Vbulletin search function has continued to amaze me on how useless it is. I only search via google anymore. it's faster, gets more results, and it's less querries on the host servers, it's a win-win for everyone .

Our standard search is now "Google" search. Give it a shot. You can still use vBulletin's search functionality if you click the "Advanced Search" link. Heh. I should name that something else. "Primative Search" maybe...

We just have to get use to the new format.
What is very important that the treads are posted in the right category.
For example :
"Help need drag wheels" thread is still located in the "Performance mod section"

Hey Ted. You're 100% right. The thing is - I actually left that thread in there on purpose. When I was moving "wheel" and "tire" discussions, I left topics about drag radials and/or lighter wheels for drag racing as I considered them "performance modifications"...