: Should I Buy

Jackrabbit Speed
10-26-04, 01:58 AM
Hi Guys, I'm looking at a beautiful 1998 Cad STS with 80200 Mi. It looks brand new!! I'm very concerned after reading all the pro's and cons on the N* motor. Was this a good year ? I love the way it looks and am impressed by the performance. It's 9 Grand but Clean, Clean Clean !

Leloz
10-26-04, 09:33 AM
I have had no issues with my 2000 STS and I am almost at 100K miles. Just check on the maintenance records if you can, if it was maintained properly it should be fine :D Common problems at that mileage are the waterpump and front suspension components.

CADDYBLACK99
10-26-04, 09:34 AM
Welcome Jack!
First we would like to thank you for signing up with us.
The 98' STS sounds nice. The money is a little lower than average for that car, and the miles are correct (no deduction for high miles). You say it is clean? Like recently clean or for its whole life clean. (Most) Caddy owners go the the extreme with their vehicles keeping them next to perfect inside and out and all the nooks and crannies. Do you have service history on the STS? Private sale or dealer lot (caddy dealer?) If you can, remove your excitement from the equation and look over the car again stem to stern. Does it look well taken care of or all glossy from a (pre-sale) quick detailing. If you can find evidence that this car was well cared for, I would say go for it! You will be pleased (and not surprised) with your purchase.
Read this thread it will give you some of the areas to check:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5880
Good luck!
Paul

Jackrabbit Speed
10-26-04, 10:44 AM
Thanks alot guys. It looks like the car has been owned by a very picky owner. I agree the interior and long term cosmetics is the CSI of previous owner care. This car and interior looks like it has about 10K. So I'm assuming the owner gave it the best of all around care, in and out. Should I have the cooling flushed or serviced at this point, what about plugs and wires?

CADDYBLACK99
10-26-04, 02:18 PM
For more info on coolant go to this link:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#coolant
Scroll down to post by bbobynski. He is very technical and his advise is highly respected here.
Good luck!
(This helpful hint will cost you one picture once that STS is parked in your driveway!) :lildevil:
Paul

Jackrabbit Speed
10-26-04, 08:53 PM
Wow ! I'm soooo glad I had checked out this forum! I checked further on the STS and there was anti-freez in the oil. If not for the heads up (no punn intended)from reading the forum info I would have been had, been sad!

I am now looking at a SLS with 69000 miles. Can anyone tell me what the difference is other than 25 hourse power from the STS and SLS. Is there anyway I can find the lost 25 HP,or more?